Full-page ad in The New York Times: "It's time to quit the Catholic Church"...

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
The New York Times has had an agenda against the Catholic Church for years. Does this really surprise anyone?

With the internet, 24 hour cable news & the waste of trees to print rag papers, maybe it's time to abandon the New York Times for the dinosaur it has become.

Most have, as they have their sister rag the Boston Globe. The Times now owns the Globe and it is a never ending parade of stories by Pee poor journalist with an agenda.

I had to put pee, the censors didn't like the real word.

Upvote 0

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
NYT Ad: Quit The Catholic Church

The New York Times published and ad from the Freedom From Religion Foundation which calls for nominal and liberal Catholics to abandon the Church.

The ad asks "Why are you propping up the pillars of a tyrannical and autocratic, woman-hating, sex-perverting, antediluvian Old Boys Club? " and states "No self-respecting feminist, civil libertarian or progressive should cling to the Catholic faith." [Full Text Below.]

Continued-
Full-page ad in The New York Times: "It's time to quit the Catholic Church"...

I actually agree with the ad(not the premise, but the statement to the false catholics). It would be nice if the liberal 'catho.... errr... wolves in sheep's clothing.... would leave. Then they would stop polluting the well water. You would be surprised how well they infiltrate the catholic system and they are the main reason why our Catholic youth is so badly catechized.

The picture art is really reminiscent of Jack Chick though. Weird parallel there.

Dan Barker, the husband of Annie Graylor , who wrote this full page ad is quite prominent in the debate areas. Here he is debating Dinesh D'souza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1arsUJI00Ko

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Mine is, too.

Edit: but also, I have definitely encountered chauvinism and misogyny among the clergy.

The Catholic Church is not chauvinist, and neither are St. Paul's writings regarding what many secularists would consider misogynist. The bible is very often misunderstood, as well as the Church. Since many secularists don't really study theology they take everything at face value.

Intolerant of traditional marriage and motherhood would be a much better term for it. Many feminists cannot stand the premise of motherhood. The sight of a successful homemaker mother with children taking care of her home would make them melt like the witch of the west.

Many feminists I have read about have grown in dysfunctional homes and tend to themselves have very dysfunctional marriages. I think the anger comes from these experiences, and hence by trying destroy motherhood and a woman's chastity(with contraception/abortion) they can bring other women down with them on their own level. If you read between the lines of this ad, you will see it is brimming with anger, frustration, and hatred of ones past. Misery loves company.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,144.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ronald Reagan's son Ron is on the board.

So was the late Christopher Hitchens.

I don't recognize most of the other names. Oliver Sacks, the neurologist who wrote "Awakenings."

Julia Sweeney, a comedienne whom I believe was on SNL in the 1980's.

They certainly are antagonistic to Catholicism. Do you think the NY Times should have refused to accept their advertisement? It isn't as if the NYT is espousing their position.

I guess you are thinking, "Well, they wouldn't accept an article from the KKK." But this group isn't advertising violence towards Catholics, just that people walk away.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Catholic Church is not chauvinist, and neither are St. Paul's writings regarding what many secularists would consider misogynist. The bible is very often misunderstood, as well as the Church. Since many secularists don't really study theology they take everything at face value.

I'm not a secularist and I have a BA in theology.

Note: I said chauvinism among the clergy. As in, individual men... and I can assure you, the things they said and did were definitely misogynistic. I'm not talking about things that people in the news squawk about, like contraception or abortion. I'm talking about discriminating against their female theology grad students, who are few and far between. I'm talking about verbally trashing women once they imbibe some alcohol. I'm talking about favouring men over women for church positions. I'm talking about going beyond thinking that women are best suited for motherhood, to saying that motherhood is ALL women are suited for, because theology is a man's world and women just don't have the heads for it.

I have definitely encountered discrimination in my theology program, and if I continued to study at this university for a master's degree, it would only get worse.

Don't rant at me about feminists when I am not talking about the feminist movement at all.

Reactions: Antigone
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟66,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You guys honestly don't see the problem here do you ?

I'm shocked.

Seriously shocked that individuals with whom I have argued and discussed deep theological issues with could be this intellectually and socially blind

Sorry about that assessement

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
can people read? apparently not.

"The Church" is not against women... but some men who represent the Church have been... and we have had some sexual perverts and many diocese, it is a good old boy netwrok of bishops.

Seroiusly, we can't fix what is wrong with-IN the Church until we stop acting like these things do not exsist.

they do- you all who say they don't, you all help create the problem we have with the "liberals" because they have valid complaints and you just refuse to admit it.

can't change what we refuse to acknowledge.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I'm shocked.

Seriously shocked that individuals with whom I have argued and discussed deep theological issues with could be this intellectually and socially blind

I do see the problem but there is just no point getting into it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox

I'm shocked.

Don't tease me...

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Yeah. Right. The Church is really against women. The Theotakos is given "short shrift" *all* the time. :::dripping sarcasm:::

If you need to tell people you're being sarcastic, you haven't quite mastered the art yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
ST Tom and Gwen... why did you two misconstrue what Gwen's post and add to her words?

She never said , not one time, the Church is against women... she said men with in the Church have been.

do ya'll do this on purpose or what?

Yep.

Apparently OBOB can't read.

Come on, you guys. That's like if I said "Some priests molest children," and you run with it and say, "ALL PRIESTS ARE CHILD MOLESTERS!"

You hate it when people do that to you. Don't do it to me.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Yep.

Come on, you guys. That's like if I said "Some priests molest children," and you run with it and say, "ALL PRIESTS ARE CHILD MOLESTERS!"

But why do you hate black people, Gwen?

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Liberals and nominal Catholics really do need to make up their mind of which master they want to serve, God or Obama.

Traditional Catholics too... IMO. :)

There's only room for one kinda Catholic.
There's nothing wrong with being a traditional Catholic since our faith rests on the two pillars of Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture that were given to us by God. The problem with being traditional only comes when someone who is traditional starts to think that they are more Catholic than the Pope. These are called "Traditionalists".

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yep.

but they do it to everyone, its what they do Gwen. and who does it to them? Nobody does it to them.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There's nothing wrong with being a traditional Catholic since our faith rests on the two pillars of Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture that were given to us by God. The problem with being traditional only comes when someone who is traditional starts to think that they are more Catholic than the Pope. These are called "Traditionalists".

and your own post doesn't resonate with you?

Upvote 0