1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

From now on, whenever you hear a bad homily, here's what you should do...

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Michie

Michie Manipulation Resistance Team Supporter CF Ambassador

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Get down on your knees and pray for the priest who gave it. Fast. Do penance for his intention. Be happy you have a priest when many – many – don’t. That is what you do. And if there is some occasion to offer him positive encouragement, do so, with a cordial aspect and kindness.

From now on, whenever you hear a bad homily, here's what you should do...

2. Swoosh

Swoosh Sancta Simplicitas

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Good advice. No priest is perfect and they could all certainly use our prayers!

:crossrc:

3. JacktheCatholic

JacktheCatholic Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Great! I hope no one kills me when I go up to the altar and kneel before the tabernacle and pray for the priest with out the knowledge and wisdom he should already have from 8 years at the seminary learning.

Were the priests doing drugs in the 60s and 70s too? Why so many idiot priests?

Forgive me Lord for any harm to the Church and I pray for these idiot priests to receive Your Wisdom and to use the knowledge you gave them. Praying...

4. Azureknight 773

Azureknight 773 IXA the Knight Kamen Rider CF Ambassador Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Nice! Sometimes when I go to church, there are these instances where I do not see any relationship between the readings and the homily. Sometimes, the homily is far from what the Gospel, the two readings and the responsorial psalm has in content.

Hey JacktheCatholic-san, please don't be rude! That comment is quite painful if I were a priest.

5. JacktheCatholic

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Yeah...

I was not commenting on boring homilies. No problem there.

I heard a priest, at our previous parish, say that a woman would run the Church one day. That... is what I was commenting on. I hope you understand why I wrote what I did.

6. Azureknight 773

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    WHAT?! Seriously? Oh my goodness! That ain't happening as long as the Magesterium is strict and abiding everything under her care.

7. JacktheCatholic

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Seriously. We got a new bishop for the diocese and he has a good track record so I am hopeful that will get taken care of.

8. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Hang in there, Jack. It gets better. The new crop of priests coming up now are steadfastly dedicated to avoiding all of the liberal liturgical lunacy we're endured for the past 40 years; they avoid it like the plague.

We have a new young priest and things are done very strictly at our parish now; he does quite a bit of Latin, he stricks to the rubrics, the music is a vast improvement, and his homilies have substance. He's not afraid to tell the congregation when the government does something that is against Catholic morality, and for us not to support it. We have new St. Augustine hymnals, instead of those wretched paperback missalettes.

One of the former heads of the worship committee left the parish a few months ago. She was upset with the changes Father was instituting, and was horrified that he was brining back things that she and her pals had thrown away back in the 60's. I heard that she angrily confronted him after a council meeting one evening, and he gently but firmly said, "I am the pastor here, and this is the way it's going to be done. End of discussion." She left not long thereafter.

I love him. :)

9. Azureknight 773

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    And the Pope is also promoting the Tridentine Mass as well!
    Now we will have a renewal like no other! Thank You Lord for this!
    Now the reversion to the original Latin Mass and then in English form brings us back to the flesh of pure service.

10. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    In defense of JacktheCatholic, I think I know what he means. There is a substitute priest--from the 1970s era--so he tells us that the "old man in Rome" (the Pope) can't touch him "so don't even bother reporting". He tells anti-Catholic jokes and stories during the homily, informs us that women *should* be priests (and it will happen because look how the Church changed Friday abstainence). He needs a lot of prayers, but then so does anyone who is forced to listen to him. I really feel sorry for the people he scandalizes.

11. Azureknight 773

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Oh how horrible if that is the case.

12. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    He should be videotaped and the tape sent to the bishop and also to Rome.

13. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I am thankful for our priest.
    He is worried about salvation for others...and he loves to read archeological finds that show us historically what the OT means - and he even preaches purgatory and hell.

I could listen for a while - Fortunately he is funny too. It helps to keep ppl off guard.

14. Michie

Michie Manipulation Resistance Team Supporter CF Ambassador

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Prayer and fasting is one cure for bad homilies. YouTube is another...
    It should be said that any Catholic blogger approaches with extreme trepidation the writing of a post which may even have the appearance of the mildest sort of criticism of anything that Father Zuhlsdorf has written. But my favorite poet has written something apropos regarding fools rushing in and angels fearing to tread, and I'm certainly not an angel.