1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

From Harvard To Her Religious Calling

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Michie

Michie Manipulation Resistance Team Supporter CF Ambassador

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Mary Anne Marks graduated from Harvard University at the top of her class. You may have heard of her, she is the one that gave the salutatory address all in Latin.

She received a standing ovation.

In addition to graduating with a Classics and English double major with honors, she will be entering the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharistin Ann Arbor, Michigan.

You may remember these nuns from their appearance on the Oprah Show earlier this year in February and how they dazzled the audience as well as Oprah Winfrey herself with their simple devotion and love of Jesus in the Eucharist.

The following video is Mary Anne Marks being interviewed by Net New York‘s Outstanding Anchor Francesca Maximé on the Currents program.

Videos: http://the-american-catholic.com/2010/07/25/from-harvard-to-her-religious-calling/

2. Michie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    We have a brillant guy from our parish that was ordained a priest 2 years ago. He went to Harvard & did all his studies in Rome. He had every plan most Harvard grads have. Brilliant career, money, marriage, kids... well God had different plans in mind. :)

3. I bet we can expect some amazing works from her as a Dominican sister, maybe even in Latin.. ^_^

4. QuantaCura

QuantaCura Rejoice always.

Faith:
    Catholic
    I have a few aquaintances who went to Yale and then embraced a religious vocation: a couple priests (diocesan and Jesuit) and a Sister of Life as well as a few others discerning the same.

5. MoNiCa4316

MoNiCa4316 Totus Tuus

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    wow! :)

One time I was at a Catholic conference and I met a girl from Harvard who is studying astrophysics, I think, but she was discerning a religious vocation as well. :)

6. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    To add some balance, let's all remember that 50% of female religious vocations are to what you would call the more "liberal" orders that don't wear habits.

The idea that if the 95% of orders who currently don't wear habits became conservative that there would be many, many more vocations is not proven by statistics. With less choice, and more regimentation, there would probably be half the vocations there are today.

7. I'm noticing a theme here. I knew a girl who got straight A's in high school, read her Bible and Catechism everyday, was joining the peace corps, and was discerning religious life. God's taking all the good ones!!

8. MoNiCa4316

MoNiCa4316 Totus Tuus

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    all the people I know who are considering religious life are considering orders with habits

^_^

9. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

Faith:
    Christian
    Wow what a bright girl. She will definitely be an asset to the church.

It is amazing that she survived the Peoples Republic of Cambridge intact.

10. Michie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Same here. Remember the Oprah show? HABITS! :p

11. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    As long as uniformity in dress doesn't reflect a uniformity of opinion and/or a lack of independent thought I am fine with it.

The idea that they may not think for themselves is the frightening part, not the mode of dress.

If I was friendly with a sister in a habit, I think I might give her Victoria's Secret underwear for Christmas, just so that she would not completely submerge her personality into some sort of groupthink.

I had a friend who joined an order after high school. She had a "shower" and got all sorts of lingerie. I'm sure she must have used it somehow or other.

12. I'm not sure that lingerie is very conducive to living a chaste life. Independent thought is good, so long as it is in unity with God and all the Fathers of the Church from whose rivers our own wisdom should flow.

Father, bless Fantine that she will continue and always love and respect our sisters who strive to attain humility with your Son and unity with you.<3

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
    QuantaCura likes this.
  13. MoonlessNight

MoonlessNight Fides et Ratio

Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Why is fidelity to ancient ways just groupthink, while fidelity to the modern is considered thinking for oneself and being an individual? And for that matter, why should being an individual be the top priority for nuns? Isn't a big point of the consecrated life to meditate on the eternal truth of the faith as part of a community?

14. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

Faith:
    Christian

Why would you give a Nun, a gift that sexualizes her ?

The Victoria Secret business strategy is clearly designed to make woman look sexy.

I believe a traditional Nun would find such a gift disturbing, since they are committed to live a chaste life of chastity.

15. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    This girl was young, attractive, and 17. I had never been to a shower for a nun-to-be. I remember getting her something practical, like a prayerbook. I was really surprised to see all the lingerie.

I had been kind of upset at her choice. My grammar school teachers had been nice nuns, and I could understand why someone would choose to join their order. My high school teachers were almost universally not-nice, and I certainly didn't want to see this nice, attractive girl become not-nice through prolonged exposure.

I have no idea whether she stayed. She joined a few years after Vatican II ended...so there is at least a 50% chance that she didn't.