Frist's stock sale records may be subpoenaed.

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/st.../0959577777.htm&sc=1333&photoid=20050729NS104

A couple excerpts for your consideration.

Frist claims trades were not insider driven and were done in order to eliminate conflict of interest
"Frist traded using only public information, and only to eliminate the appearance of a conflict of interest, his spokesman added. "

However, criticism over this blind trust holding was no new thing.

"For years, Frist was criticized for holding HCA stock while directing legislation on Medicare reform and patient issues. His office has consistently deflected criticism by noting that his assets were in a blind trust and not under his active control. "

Furthermore, Frist's sale came at a price peak for HCA, and coincided with the timeframe that insiders WERE selling shares

"Frist asked a trustee to sell all his HCA stock in June, near a 52-week stock price peak of $58.40 and at the same time HCA insiders were selling off shares. Reports to the Securities and Exchange Commission showed insiders sold about 2.3 million shares, worth about $112 million, from January through June, said Mark LoPresti of Thomson Financial.

The sale came about two weeks before the company issued a disappointing earnings forecast that drove its stock price down almost 16 percent by mid-July. They still have not recovered, closing Thursday at $45.90. "

This sounds extremely suspicious to me. Insider trading is illegal, I think that lawmakers should be held to a high standard for abiding by the law. If it comes out that he was doing insider trading, he should be stripped of office and barred from running for federal office ever again. He should also be fined an amount equal to his holdings in HCA plus punitive damages to make an example out of him.

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
GutterRat said:
This will be interesting to watch. We'll see what happens.

I imagine if one was to look into the financial handling of most of our "representatives" - we would find some questionable activities.

I dont doubt it, there seems to be an awful lot of rich people representing the nation. It's hard to make a lot of money honestly.

Upvote 0

GutterRat

Senior Veteran
Aug 25, 2005
Chi-town...area...burbs.
Visit site
✟3,987.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
christalee4 said:
If Martha Stewart got caught, tried and sentenced, why should Frist be any different, if he indeed is guilty of insider trading.

That is the thing IF he is indeed guilty. The problem is - there will be a lot of political rangling about this & it won't really matter if he is guilty or not. It could be as he says - he did it with insider info. We'll have to see.

I <3 Abraham said:
I dont doubt it, there seems to be an awful lot of rich people representing the nation. It's hard to make a lot of money honestly.

This is what really makes me sick about our gov't. The poor or even the mid-class don't have any representation. Ture representation. The same rich people get voted into office, vote for their own interests, and even vote for their own raises. Insane! A person like myself, middle class citizen, couldn't even dream of getting into office. It's not possible. The money needed to get into office is outlandish! It's just not right. :(

Upvote 0