Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ANYWAY, back to Sen. Frist. Can one be pro-stem cell research and anti-abortion at the same time, if one believes that life begins right at conception? I think it's good that Frist supports stem cell research, as most Americans do, but my cynicism leads me to believe that he was doing less out of understanding that it would do people good, and more to build the foundation for his politcal career. Maybe I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

Praise2God

Sep 21, 2004
✟508.00
Faith
Christian
christalee4 said:
ANYWAY, back to Sen. Frist. Can one be pro-stem cell research and anti-abortion at the same time, if one believes that life begins right at conception? I think it's good that Frist supports stem cell research, as most Americans do, but my cynicism leads me to believe that he was doing less out of understanding that it would do people good, and more to build the foundation for his politcal career. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, I support stem cell research very much. But I don't support embryonic stem cell. There are many different ways to do a stem cell research. Besides, even though Bush is against funding embryonic stem cell research, it doesn't mean noone else can't fund it.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
christalee4 said:

Maybe you are right about him building the foundation for his political career. And maybe he is supporting stem cell research in order to save peoples' lives.

Upvote 0

Chosen One

Jul 14, 2005
✟8,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Praise2God said:
Yes, I support stem cell research very much. But I don't support embryonic stem cell. There are many different ways to do a stem cell research.

There are many was to do research sure- I can research how many stem cells fit in the eye of a needle- but it won't do anybody any good. Let's leave the scientific work up to the scientists. Let's face it- most of us do not understand the limitations of adult versus embroyonic stemscells. To put caps on research would be ludicrous.

Praise2God said:
Besides, even though Bush is against funding embryonic stem cell research, it doesn't mean noone else can't fund it.

You are right- someone else will. It will be the English, Frech, Chinese or Indian governments that will fund THEIR scientists doing this research. They will reap the economic benefits and it is one more thing we will need to import into this country.

Upvote 0

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
I don't call it flip-flopping. I call it being an intelligent person who can reconsider a position. I don't respect a politician who never changes any of his views. I am 39 years old now and if I had to be stuck with all of my views that I held when I was 20...YIKES.

I agree! If it's for the good of the nation, I don't care about Frist's consistency.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
" -Hates the US military
-loves burning flags"

Those are really offensive man. You have absolute support for the war on terror before it was expanded to Iraq which we had objections about. Thats PRO military. How about which party cared about supplying our soldiers at war? Flags? How about freedom of expression? If we start banning things that infringe upon no one's rights but we "just don't like" then we are closer to communism than universal healthcare would ever take us.

Upvote 0

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
frist has been a good soldier, but bush is now a lame duck and his weakness will grow over the next three years as republicans start to maneuver for position.
this was somewhat inevitable. the science here is so overwhelmingly in favor of this research that the dissonance will only come from the fatally idealogically entrenched. but not to worry. there are plenty of those. witness our friend in Christ here on this thread who has been handily programmed to take positions that not only oppose his left leaning brothers, but angrily and simplistically attack them. we will always have a supply of these folks on both sides of the aisle. the good news is there is a reason that both the klan and nambla are marginalized. when the thinking starts, their party is over.
what our strident buddy doesn't understand and a previous poster noted, the "pro" moniker is part of the war between the two lost tribes of america, the left and the right. the only "pro" is freedom. the specific ways that it manifests itself can be repugnant or blissful, depending on your point of view, but the freedom itself is always magnificent. i will march for the right for klan/nambla to speak their mind (which, after all, should not take terribly long) while fighting their ability to force their thinking into law that will impact unwilling participants.
the bottom line is, if you don't like stem cell research, do not take advantage of the advances it may produce, but don't think you have the right to keep the quadraplegic in his chair. if you don't feel like marrying a feller, and you are one, don't. i will march with you in opposition to any law that would require men to marry men. i am all in.
whether frist is a phony trolling for votes, or a man of conscience that has had an honest change of heart on the subject, or merely a former puppet that has had the strings cut by the weakening of the party leader will matter if you want to vote for him. otherwise, perhaps it could be a hopeful sign that blind idealogy can be overwhelmed by the desire for the common good.

Reactions: platzapS
Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Oy...

1 guy backing stem cell research and it has to go to this.

I know it's a leading conservative, but think about this logically. Until abortion is banned, what do you expect to do with the aborted? Throw them away? You should put the embryos to use somehow. I'm all for life but making death in vain would just suck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
I know it's a leading conservative, but think about this logically. Until abortion is banned, what do you expect to do with the aborted? Throw them away? You should put the embryos to use somehow. I'm all for life but making death in vain would just suck.
Agreed, and the vast majority of proposed stem cell research products wouldn't even be from aborted fetuses. They would be from embryos left over after in vitro fertilization (IFV) procedures. I haven't checked this, but I've heard that fetuses past a few weeks or so are useless, because the dynamic and malleable embryonic stem cells have already specialized.

Upvote 0

KenH

Christian
Aug 1, 2003
Arkansas
✟13,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Embyronic stem cell research has produced zero benefits, while people are already reaping the benefits of adult stem cell and umbilical cord blood research - www.stemcellresearch.org.

I doubt any cures will ever come from embryonic stem cell research. If it was truly going to do so much good as its proponents claim it wouldn't be worlds behind these other research methods.

Funding embryonic stem cell research is merely buying a pig in a poke.

Upvote 0
F

ForeRunner

platzapS said:
Agreed, and the vast majority of proposed stem cell research products wouldn't even be from aborted fetuses. They would be from embryos left over after in vitro fertilization (IFV) procedures. I haven't checked this, but I've heard that fetuses past a few weeks or so are useless, because the dynamic and malleable embryonic stem cells have already specialized.

Ach!

Embryonic stems cells do not come from aborted fetuses. Where the heck are you people hearing this?

And 5 days after fertilization the cells are differentiated too much to use. 3 days is optimal.

Upvote 0
F

ForeRunner

KenH said:
Embyronic stem cell research has produced zero benefits, while people are already reaping the benefits of adult stem cell and umbilical cord blood research - www.stemcellresearch.org.

I doubt any cures will ever come from embryonic stem cell research. If it was truly going to do so much good as its proponents claim it wouldn't be worlds behind these other research methods.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6783024/

I expect you to never make that erroroneous statement again. Somehow I doubt it will happen.

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's world's behind, because it doesn't have the necessary funding.

Breakthroughs are being made in S.Korea right now, and American Scientists are moving to other countries in order to conduct their research.

This technology WILL be developed, it is just a matter of where, and by whom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CJ.23

Feb 5, 2004
Cotswolds, UK
✟9,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Upvote 0