Friends with a prophet

Blain

Oct 28, 2012
✟15,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You know I have been thinking lately about prophets of the Lord. I know that there are many false ones but I also believe there are legit ones to just maybe in fewer numbers than false.
Honestly I would love to be friends with an actual prophet of God, you know get to know them talk with and pick their brains lol. I have heard of ranks in heaven and while I don't really care about what rank i would be I heard prophets are higher ranks, that sounds like something I could talk to them about.

Well I also have to admit that I was told I am going to be a powerful prophet one day but I can't see myself as one at all and I would like to ask a legit one how they learned they were a prophet and what are the signs or gifts to show you are one. But to be honest Being a prophet is a very tough job, I mean you become hated by so many people especially other Christians. There is a person on youtube i used to watch minister paul he was supposed to be one of these prophets but i got a horrible feeling about him and then after watching some of his videos I saw that he is a little over the edge. Not only did make false prophecies but i just get a horrible feeling even just thinking about him.

This was when i learned about false prophets first hand, I don't know how ppl do it, to be a false prophet is dangerous. If they chose to be one maybe they don't fear God? but what if they actually think they are prophets but really are being misled by the enemy?

sigh... I do wish I could meet one true prophet to know that I was right in there being legit ones

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You know I have been thinking lately about prophets of the Lord. I know that there are many false ones but I also believe there are legit ones to just maybe in fewer numbers than false.
Honestly I would love to be friends with an actual prophet of God, you know get to know them talk with and pick their brains lol. I have heard of ranks in heaven and while I don't really care about what rank i would be I heard prophets are higher ranks, that sounds like something I could talk to them about.

Well I also have to admit that I was told I am going to be a powerful prophet one day but I can't see myself as one at all and I would like to ask a legit one how they learned they were a prophet and what are the signs or gifts to show you are one. But to be honest Being a prophet is a very tough job, I mean you become hated by so many people especially other Christians. There is a person on youtube i used to watch minister paul he was supposed to be one of these prophets but i got a horrible feeling about him and then after watching some of his videos I saw that he is a little over the edge. Not only did make false prophecies but i just get a horrible feeling even just thinking about him.

This was when i learned about false prophets first hand, I don't know how ppl do it, to be a false prophet is dangerous. If they chose to be one maybe they don't fear God? but what if they actually think they are prophets but really are being misled by the enemy?

sigh... I do wish I could meet one true prophet to know that I was right in there being legit ones

Good Questions!

I too, would like to talk to a true prophet and ask him "How did/do you "Know""

I've felt a calling upon my life, but do not know my giftings or what I should be doing about the calling, I know one of my gifts is just to be a witness, but beyond this I do not know much else, I wait for when other people ask about my faith or my life, and then I start sharing stories about how God rescued and saved me, but I don't evangelize, I'm not any good at that, evangelizers approach other people with the word, whether they want it or not, as a witness I wait for other people to approach me, not the other way around...

True prophets, I've found, most of them are wanderers and vagabonds in the earth, not being tied down to very many earthly possessions, they depend fully on God to supply them, so you might want to check that the next time you talk to a homeless person, I ran into a homeless person once, and asked him if he needed anything, and to my surprise he said "No, God supplies all my needs" we had a brief conversation, and I handed him a gospel of John, and he looked at me as if looking at a child, and Just said "Thank you for your effort, I will make note of before my Father" I asked him his name, and he said his name was Jehovah,, I left him perplexed, and wondering within myself, "Did I just speak to a representative from God, and I wondered.

I never saw him again, and to this day, I go to the parks, looking for him, but I haven't seen him again, but there was something about him, his eyes, his face, I can't quite describe it, but he seemed very peaceful and content, but he said he wasn't in need of anything, and all his needs were being taken care of, when I tried to share the gospel with him, he said he knew Jesus very well, when I asked him, and as I shared more with him, he just smiled at me, with a kind and gentle smile, and "Oh, I know" a lot to my questions and sharing the gospel, but he smiled at me, and it was as though he could see right through me, but it was as though he were smiling at a child.

I haven't seen him again, and wouldn't know what to do if I did, but I wondered if he were a prophet or some kind of special "man of God" or something...

It would be nice to talk with a true prophet, or a real man of God,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Who told you that you would be a powerful prophet one day?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Blain, for there to be false prophets, there has to be authentic ones.

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;" I Cor 4:11

From Scripture, we know that some prophets had regular jobs such as Amos who was a herdman and a gatherer of sycomore fruit: (7:14, 15) and Paul who made something - some say tents while others say tallits. Anyway, he did some secular work (Acts 18:3).

Just like today.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have to be careful with our definition of "prophet" these days. The OT prophet, which are the ones who went around saying, "Thus saith the Lord..." as they gave the people new revelations, are gone and rendered obsolete by the gospel of Jesus and his final revelation to John.

Scripture has been written and there are no new revelations. After Jesus, we have had prophets: Mohammed and Joseph Smith are the most successful ones. They brought us new revelations that claimed to correct the old ones (as we interpreted them). A person claiming to be a prophet who has a "correct" interpretation of scripture that claims that all the known interpretations are wrong is a fake. A person claiming to be prophet who brings a new revelation that "updates" scripture is a fake.

The modern-day prophet is a discerner of wisdom and person who can see truths in a set of facts that others cannot see (through Spirit-led synthesis). There are still great prophets, but they don't lead with "Thus saith the Lord...". They lead with, "I can see where this is going..." These modern-day prophets are still ignored and ridiculed for their knowledge and are ignored rather than being stoned to death.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is an interesting thread, but first we need to define what the word "prophet" means. The generally accepted meaning is that the prophet will predict the future but I don't think this is correct. A biblical prophet is someone who speaks God's actual words. They don't come from the prophet's own mind; they are given to him or her directly from God.

A false prophet is someone who claims that they are actually speaking God's own words, whereas they are actually coming from the prophet's own mind.

In the New Covenant there isn't the need for prophets as there was before the giving of the Holy Spirit to believers. Personally I am very skeptical of people these days who claim to be prophets. If what they say 1) doesn't agree precisely with the Bible and 2) the Spirit within me is troubled by their words, I just listen to what they say but don't accept it as truth.

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting thread indeed.

The Bible encourages us to speak as "the mouthpiece" of God, which is essentially what a prophet does. So, more so than be-friending prophets, being prophets is something we should all be ascribing to as Christians.

That said, the Apostle Paul also shows us a more excellent way in 1 Corinthians 13. He shows us that, while prophecy and the other gifts are great, what we really should be seeking after is love. Likewise, Jesus said that love is how people will know we are Christians. So, instead of hoping to be-friend a prophet, maybe we should be looking to meet masters of love! :)

I thought someone gave some good examples for how to spot a true prophet, btw, including the fact that they'll likely not be popular, and will probably be poor. Quite a clash from your average "TBN" style prophet, eh?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
footnote: prophets, apostles, evangelists, teachers (as in Scripture) are not allowed most places. Pastors are, but not (as in Scripture). i.e. today's positions are vastly different than the Bible's instructions.

seek Yhvh the Creator by faith and grace in and through Yahshua - don't seek the gifts that He gives, per se, as that kind of seeking has widely led to dysfunctionality for both the seeker and the group they are in. (yes, it is written in Scripture "desire ... .... " , sigh..... almost no one is ready to yet, or again(like long ago), as the ground work is missing in the lives and in the business-like workings of most all groups).

still, Yhvh is able to do as He pleases, and He does. those who seek Yhvh, (His Promise), find Him.

remember though what happens in Scripture to most of the people, most of all the people, and most of the people that He calls at first - read what happens to them, because that's what happens to most people today, and it is not what they or almost anyone expects. i.e. for example, a lot of people are looking for the kingdom of Yhvh to come, and Yahshua said clearly that they won't see it. (see Scripture about this).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting thought as you said here, Bryan, and noteworthy:

"The modern-day prophet is a discerner of wisdom and person who can see truths in a set of facts that others cannot see (through Spirit-led synthesis). There are still great prophets, but they don't lead with "Thus saith the Lord...". They lead with, "I can see where this is going..." These modern-day prophets are still ignored and ridiculed for their knowledge and are ignored rather than being stoned to death."[/quote]

Reactions: Blain
Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is an interesting thread, but first we need to define what the word "prophet" means. The generally accepted meaning is that the prophet will predict the future but I don't think this is correct. A biblical prophet is someone who speaks God's actual words. They don't come from the prophet's own mind; they are given to him or her directly from God.

A false prophet is someone who claims that they are actually speaking God's own words, whereas they are actually coming from the prophet's own mind.

In the New Covenant there isn't the need for prophets as there was before the giving of the Holy Spirit to believers. Personally I am very skeptical of people these days who claim to be prophets. If what they say 1) doesn't agree precisely with the Bible and 2) the Spirit within me is troubled by their words, I just listen to what they say but don't accept it as truth.
Scripture doesn't support this. (In bold)

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of my friend recently told me one of the great revivals in Asia in the 1920 to 1930s, where a missionary wrote back to her Mother that she was disappointed that the mission is not successful. Her mom prayed and got a vision, and wrote back to her daughter that God has answered her prayer. Right at that moment, the spirit of God got so many to repent and to serve. One of the great leaders is a doctor in chemistry, who was baptized in holy spirit during a 5 day sermon (by a very young girl), devoted his life work to God. Like Paul, he cured many sick but God give him a sickness that he can't get rid of, and led many to God with his preaching and cure.

He is also against the "Mordern" Christianity, which put whatever can't be explained by science as folk lore, or calling of the holy spirit as human emotions (he himself was put in a mental hospital for a while by his Christian school for his acts of repentance).

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I said "In the New Covenant there isn't the need for prophets as there was before the giving of the Holy Spirit to believers." Andry said...

Scripture doesn't support this.

I didn't say that there would be any prophets in the New Covenant; clearly Scripture says there are. What I am saying is that the need isn't as great as it was prior to the giving of the Holy Spirit, who will teach and guide believers. Under the Old Covenant the people didn't have this gift so they had to rely entirely on those few chosen by God to speak and write His words, so the need isn't as great.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would question the assertion that prophets aren't as "needed" these days. The Bible tells us that prophecies will increase in the end times.

Also, we know that the Two Witnesses mentioned in The Revelation will prophecy to the world for 3.5 years before Jesus' return. The passage describes it as a pretty important ministry... pretty "necessary", I might say.

Ultimately, the most important gift we can seek after is love. It's how people will know we're Christians after all. But we shouldn't underestimate the importance of prophecy either.

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I said "In the New Covenant there isn't the need for prophets as there was before the giving of the Holy Spirit to believers." Andry said...

I didn't say that there would be any prophets in the New Covenant; clearly Scripture says there are. What I am saying is that the need isn't as great as it was prior to the giving of the Holy Spirit, who will teach and guide believers. Under the Old Covenant the people didn't have this gift so they had to rely entirely on those few chosen by God to speak and write His words, so the need isn't as great.
While respecting your position, I say the need is even greater today.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
..... since there is currently a "famine of the hearing of the Word of Yhvh",
..... a severe and obvious lack of obedience to His Word and His Instructions,
..... an almost complete lack of ecclesia in the world (few find the path of Life),
..... an obvious and odious willingness to commit sin and approve of those who do,
..... (among 'religious' people and groups and denominations! , as well as publicly)
..... "lack of knowledge" ... (people perish)
..... "lack of vision" .... (people perish)

and, it is so bad that prophets will deny they are prophets (find it in Scripture) so so many people don't pull them / call on them / entreat them.... ...

..... false prophets are available left and right and center stage !
..... tickling ears is not rare, but common,

Yahshua asked (one or more times) .... when the Son of Man returns, will He find (true) faith on earth?

and

with many many more admonitions about this age, society, sin and wickednesses everywhere today,

turn "TODAY" to Yhvh the Creator While He May Be Found.... before it is too late.

Yhvh is Perfect, you can trust Him. but don't trust men.

Yhvh can save you if He will, by grace and faith in Yahshua HaMoshiach. men cannot and will not.

Upvote 0