Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to respond to this post as steen just did, as I think vossler is finally getting to the heart of the matter...
vossler said:
But the point was that when found it couldn't be attributed to God. From everything I've heard evolution cannot be attributed to God, so if one was to search out the matter and couldn't find God in it then where does God get the glory?
Evolution CAN be attributed to God, but not based on the evidence. There's no line of evidence for evolution that suggests "The Christian God Did This." Similarly, there's no scientific line of evidence that says our God is involved in rain, birth, or photosynthesis. But we take God's involvement on faith, just as Jesus stressed in his ministry.
1,000 years ago, we thought the magic of God held the planets in orbit. Now we explain their orbits as a result of gravity. Does this mean we cannot see God at work in the process? No! We take it on faith that He is involved, now understanding of the means by which He keeps the planets revolving.
If I seek God in evolution I won't find him there.
The evidence may not lead you there, but a strong faith will. That's what faith is all about -- believing without seeing.
Notice it said we were to seek Him with all our heart and soul, not our mind, yet evolution doesn't come from the heart or soul but from the mind.
Exactly. This is why evolution, and science as a whole, cannot challenge God. Science can only make use of our minds. God lives in our hearts and souls as well as our minds.

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
steen said:
Not true. Science is merely a tool. The Faith in God is based on just that, faith. It is not a "need" for evidence, but a need for God that leaves God. Science in no way diminishes this or "disproves" God. It merely disproves YEC. My faith is not based on Scientific Evidence. I don't need a tangible God that I can "prove." That would be no different than the Israelites needing a Golden Calf to symbolize God. They also could not hold God in their faith and needed a physical example of God to see what they worshiped.
My faith is in God and His Word. His Word says that God created everything in 6 days, not billions of years. I'm not looking for evidence to discredit that.
steen said:
No, your presentation sounds like YEC can't hold faith in God without being able to provide a proof of God. I have a problem with that assertion, as that indeed is a God-of-the-Gaps idea. As science/evidence fills out those gaps, God is diminished, causing a need to fight facts, fight the truth. It means that YEC faith is based on science not being able to fill the gaps, thus leading YEC to HAVE to deny science to not detract from God. I find that position untenable.
I've never asked for or looked for proof of God. If I did, all I'd have to do is step outside, for that matter look at my wife and children. I don't fight the truth of God's Word, however evolutionists do. If that is untenable to you, I don't have a problem with it, it's not my issue.

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
vossler said:
I don't fight the truth of God's Word, however evolutionists do.

So now taking on a non fundamentalist approach to theology and interpretation is "fighting truth." Would God have us all be carbon copies of one another?

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
LewisWildermuth said:
I am sorry that you cannot seem to see God when you look at science and its results. I am in awe of Gods works and the wonders of His creation every time I study a topic in science.

But it is not TE’s fault that you cannot see God without help. So please quit blaming us.
I don't know where you ever got the idea that I can't see God without a man-made sign. I see God everyday in nature and can never get enough of His splendor and creativity. It's the thing I enjoy most in life, being outside in His workshop. The last thing I would ever need is a made made sign telling me where He was. The whole earth would have to be filled with man-made signs, strangely, in my mind, that's what evolution tries to disprove. The sad thing is evolution can't point to nature but only to textbooks.

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
vossler said:
I don't know where you ever got the idea that I can't see God without a man-made sign. I see God everyday in nature and can never get enough of His splendor and creativity. It's the thing I enjoy most in life, being outside in His workshop. The last thing I would ever need is a made made sign telling me where He was. The whole earth would have to be filled with man-made signs, strangely, in my mind, that's what evolution tries to disprove. The sad thing is evolution can't point to nature but only to textbooks.

I don't blame TEs for anything. If anything I pity them for not being able to accept God as He Himself has told and shown us through His Word and creation.

If you have no problem seeing God without a man made sign, then why are you deriding science for not putting those signs in there for you?

Why do you demand that a theory has to include instructions for you on how to find God in it?

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
vossler said:
My faith is in God and His Word. His Word says that God created everything in 6 days, not billions of years. I'm not looking for evidence to discredit that.

Here is one problem, you have faith in your interpretation of the Bible, and you are unwilling to question or test this faith.

If you are unwilling to test and question as Jesus commanded, how do you expect to ever grow?

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
vossler said:
I don't blame TEs for anything. If anything I pity them for not being able to accept God as He Himself has told and shown us through His Word and creation.
I'm sure there are many flat-earthers and geocentrists out there who feel the same way about you!

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Mallon said:
Evolution CAN be attributed to God, but not based on the evidence. There's no line of evidence for evolution that suggests "The Christian God Did This." Similarly, there's no scientific line of evidence that says our God is involved in rain, birth, or photosynthesis. But we take God's involvement on faith, just as Jesus stressed in his ministry.
Show me, rather show the folks in C&E, how evolution can be attributed to God. They're the ones who need to see those attributes, that's what I've been saying all along.
Mallon said:
1,000 years ago, we thought the magic of God held the planets in orbit. Now we explain their orbits as a result of gravity. Does this mean we cannot see God at work in the process? No! We take it on faith that He is involved, now understanding of the means by which He keeps the planets revolving.
I think that's great, so as an evolutionists who believes in God it should be rather easy for you to demonstrate that to someone else who believes likewise. I, as a YEC, would not have such an inroad.
Mallon said:
The evidence may not lead you there, but a strong faith will. That's what faith is all about -- believing without seeing.
Agreed

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
vossler said:
One thing that has always befuddled me is why TEs apparently don't witness to or correct the average evolutionists on the Crevo board very much.

CREVO is not the place to witness. It is entirely the wrong context. For me, witnessing is very relational. If the only relationship I have with a person is an exchange of pixels across the internet, then I think there is very little basis for an authentic witnessing. I'm not saying its impossible, just highly improbable.

With regards to correction, most of the non-Christians in CREVO have a fairly good handle on Christianity, despite their lack of faith. Occasionally there is a need for a correction or to anwer a question like 'Do all Christians think that . . . ". With regards to the scientific matters, I am a simple student and hobbyist in that regard. If anything, I go to CREVO to learn and witness the sound articulation of the scientific arguments.

I understand the arguments that your scientific positions are similar and therefore you pit yourselves against the YECer who is apparently ignorant of such matters; but given that the scientific evidence truly is unimportant when compared to their salvation; why not witness from an evolutionary viewpoint?

Just as creationism isn't a foundation for evangelism, neither is evolutionary theory. For me, I will not witness without first building a trusting relationship. I'm not out to convert people. I'm out to relate to them through the witness of Christ in my actions, character and attitude.

Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about. There are countless examples of things that happen in nature that cannot be explained via evolution alone. Case in point, today on my way to work I heard of a fungus that attaches itself to a beetle and commandiers it to climb a tree where the fungus releases itself to fall on other beetles. Clearly this cannot be considered soley an evolutionary process yet I don't recall ever hearing a TE use such an argument to witness to a non-believer. Why?

My own inability to comprehend bee orchids is not a basis for Gospel witnessing. If anything it is an opportunity to show those who do comprehend bee orchids that I am willing to listen, to learn and to think about the evidence, and that in doing so my faith is in no way threatened or challenged.

It would appear, to me, that TEs have and take more pleasure correcting and/or belittling a fellow believer as opposed to witnessing to a person they already have something great in common with.

Poe's Law proves that its impossible to discern a parody from the real thing. The recent problem with the CREVO forum is that is been dominated by a small cadre of either really tenacious parodies or really obtuse and obstinate real-deals. However, the effect is the same - a growing level of frustration over not being engaged in real conversation coupled with the mounting sense that no matter what you do, what you try or what you say the other person is simply never going to acknowledge or register any sort of comprehension of your own POV (not agreement with, mind you, just basic understanding).

I don't think that there is any pleasure in any of this, and if any belittling takes place it is targeted at a suspected parody and not at a fellow Christian.

Is this expression of frustration Christ-like? Not at all, and I am guilty of it. However, I daresay we have all been on the receiving end of it as well (recent case in point, being told that 'People like you make me want to scream!." That doesn't justify it, it doesn't excuse it. It just means we are all very human.

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Pats said:
So now taking on a non fundamentalist approach to theology and interpretation is "fighting truth." Would God have us all be carbon copies of one another?
No, not accepting God at His Word is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
LewisWildermuth said:
Here is one problem, you have faith in your interpretation of the Bible, and you are unwilling to question or test this faith.

If you are unwilling to test and question as Jesus commanded, how do you expect to ever grow?
My faith is tested every day, however I don't test or question God's Word; it it true.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's it. Seeing as to how you are really agitated about TEs on the Open Forums (technically fora) ...

I'm going back in there.

I'm sick of seeing my useless words here about how TEs should correct without belittling, and it really isn't a scientific thing to say that it should be done without checking if it can be done.

Now, I really hope I don't have to run into dad ... :p

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
vossler said:
Show me, rather show the folks in C&E, how evolution can be attributed to God. They're the ones who need to see those attributes, that's what I've been saying all along.
Evolution cannot be used as a means of pointing to God, as has been explained to you time and again. We cannot use science as a means of bringing people to faith. Even the Bible tells us this. People are brought to faith through the testimony of the Gospel; not through the testimony of science.
Your expecting us to use evolution as a means of attestation to God is like your expecting us to use the changing of a tire for the same reason. I can't convince an atheist to believe in God by changing a tire.

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
chaoschristian said:
CREVO is not the place to witness. It is entirely the wrong context. For me, witnessing is very relational. If the only relationship I have with a person is an exchange of pixels across the internet, then I think there is very little basis for an authentic witnessing. I'm not saying its impossible, just highly improbable.
I believe a Christian Forum that invites non-believers to participate is exactly the right place to witness. Is it ideal, obviously not, but most things aren't and if we always waited for the ideal time, very little witnessing would ever go on.
chaoschristian said:
With regards to correction, most of the non-Christians in CREVO have a fairly good handle on Christianity, despite their lack of faith. Occasionally there is a need for a correction or to anwer a question like 'Do all Christians think that . . . ". With regards to the scientific matters, I am a simple student and hobbyist in that regard. If anything, I go to CREVO to learn and witness the sound articulation of the scientific arguments.
My whole deal is, their unbelief is far more important than their acceptance of evolution. These are all people who, to use an analogy, are driving their cars off of a 1000 foot cliff and we're just waving them on.
chaoschristian said:
Just as creationism isn't a foundation for evangelism, neither is evolutionary theory. For me, I will not witness without first building a trusting relationship. I'm not out to convert people. I'm out to relate to them through the witness of Christ in my actions, character and attitude.
I'm glad to hear evolutionary theory isn't a foundation of yours. Still it certainly is a means of getting in the door. I agree that part of that process is showing them Christ working through you, yet still, if you never point them to the Savior then, in effect, you're waving at them as they drive off the cliff.
chaoschristian said:
My own inability to comprehend bee orchids is not a basis for Gospel witnessing. If anything it is an opportunity to show those who do comprehend bee orchids that I am willing to listen, to learn and to think about the evidence, and that in doing so my faith is in no way threatened or challenged.
I like and agree with that line of reasoning.
chaoschristian said:
Poe's Law proves that its impossible to discern a parody from the real thing. The recent problem with the CREVO forum is that is been dominated by a small cadre of either really tenacious parodies or really obtuse and obstinate real-deals. However, the effect is the same - a growing level of frustration over not being engaged in real conversation coupled with the mounting sense that no matter what you do, what you try or what you say the other person is simply never going to acknowledge or register any sort of comprehension of your own POV (not agreement with, mind you, just basic understanding).
I can most certainly agree with that. I've witnessed that attitude many times. Recently TheBear asked for input from Creationists and before one could post a dozen negative posts were given. Hardly the environment for someone to feel welcome and post if one so chose.
chaoschristian said:
I don't think that there is any pleasure in any of this, and if any belittling takes place it is targeted at a suspected parody and not at a fellow Christian.
That may be true, but the effect is still the same. If I belittled a Geocentrist post here in OT, no one should be surprised if the poster then felt belittled. The point is we as Christians know better, I can't expect the same from non-Christians.
chaoschristian said:
Is this expression of frustration Christ-like? Not at all, and I am guilty of it. However, I daresay we have all been on the receiving end of it as well (recent case in point, being told that 'People like you make me want to scream!." That doesn't justify it, it doesn't excuse it. It just means we are all very human.
Most certainly I agree and have no problem with what you're saying here. However, as Christians we should be correcting our brothers who do step out of form and belittle others, yet I've haven't seen that happen once. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, just that I haven't seen it.

Personally, if I was responsible for doing that I'd want a brother to tell me, wouldn't you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
shernren said:
That's it. Seeing as to how you are really agitated about TEs on the Open Forums (technically fora) ...

I'm going back in there.
I knew someone would respond with a Christlike attitude and I'm not surprised in the least that its you. Woohoo!!!:thumbsup:
shernren said:
I'm sick of seeing my useless words here about how TEs should correct without belittling, and it really isn't a scientific thing to say that it should be done without checking if it can be done.
I hope you're not joking because I truly believe you would be a great addition to that forum. If there's anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask. I mean that!
shernren said:
Now, I really hope I don't have to run into dad ... :p
I have to admit, he's an 'interesting' guy to say the least.

Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
vossler said:
But it doesn't include Him either.

I think this is the crux of the problem. Perhaps you think that since science doesn't include God, we should try to put him in there in order to glorify Him and use it as a tool to convert others to our faith. However, as I said before, this will more likely drive people away than bring them into our fold. Like others have said, we shouldn't have to prove God to other people. All we need is faith in Him.

Also, if we start including God in science, what next? Math? Should we start teaching that before the Fall, there was no sin, just tan*cos?

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Mallon said:
Evolution cannot be used as a means of pointing to God, as has been explained to you time and again. We cannot use science as a means of bringing people to faith. Even the Bible tells us this. People are brought to faith through the testimony of the Gospel; not through the testimony of science.
Your expecting us to use evolution as a means of attestation to God is like your expecting us to use the changing of a tire for the same reason. I can't convince an atheist to believe in God by changing a tire.
I would certainly agree that evolution cannot be used as a means of pointing to God, shoot for me it points away from Him. :p However, you can use science as an open door to reach those that are lost. Once you've established a rapport with them you can then personalize it more through PMs and other means.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.