✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
This maybe another stupid question.

What exactly does freedom of speech protect? Does freedom of speech protect harassment?

Let me explain.

For example, when people protest against issues like abortion or gay marriages, does it become harassment to verbally attack an individual? There have been some extremist who would scream at women who walk into the abortion clinic.

I remember walking home, before I started using my scooter, from work and these racist kids started screaming racist slurs at me. I was doing nothing but minding my own business. I don't know how to respond to that.

So my question is what is the difference between harassment and exercising your constitutional rights of freedom of speech?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What exactly does freedom of speech protect? Does freedom of speech protect harassment?
Let me explain.For example, when people protest against issues like abortion or gay marriages, does it become harassment to verbally attack an individual? There have been some extremist who would scream at women who walk into the abortion clinic.I remember walking home, before I started using my scooter, from work and these racist kids started screaming racist slurs at me. I was doing nothing but minding my own business. I don't know how to respond to that.So my question is what is the difference between harassment and exercising your constitutional rights of freedom of speech?

"Free Speech", has always been restricted to certain protected forums.
Even these forums not have absolute lack of restrictions.
Orderliness is at a much higher level of protection than free speech.

Go to any courtroom in the US. You are told to shut up and sit down.
Clearly, orderliness is top priority.
You think any judge puts up with chanting or lack of respectful
interchange at all, between anybody?

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Historically my sense is freedom of speech was meant to protect us from an overreaching government from restricting its citizens too much. But free speech does have restrictions; the question today is how far we allow these restrictions to reach while still calling speech free.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Let me explain.

For example, when people protest against issues like abortion or gay marriages, does it become harassment to verbally attack an individual? There have been some extremist who would scream at women who walk into the abortion clinic.

I remember walking home, before I started using my scooter, from work and these racist kids started screaming racist slurs at me. I was doing nothing but minding my own business. I don't know how to respond to that.

So my question is what is the difference between harassment and exercising your constitutional rights of freedom of speech?
This depends on what country you're in as laws vary. In the US, the First Amendment means that the government and agents of the government cannot restrict individual's freedom of expression - within limits.

Then, too, there is a huge difference between theory and practice, what the law is and how it is enforced in individual cases.

In the case of harassment which doesn't rise to actual threat, the law is pretty lenient unless the complainant has money and social standing.

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Let me explain.

It sounds like you were verbally assaulted.

You will probably find laws everywhere that make verbal assault a crime.

Verbal assault is a form of violence. It is probably safe to say that the First Amendment was written to protect people from violence, not to give them the right to inflict violence.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This can be a crime, but it usually just leads to a restraining order. Most people don't want to sit through a trial for something like that.

It's harder to fight when they're doing it around a business instead of a particular person. Some states have tried to pass laws that force protesters to stay a certain distance away from clinics.

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
When verbal assault is a crime, being insulted makes you a victim of a crime.
And when you're easily insulted you can sue.
Doesn't that sound pathetic?

Well, I guess you're right.

But what about people who are just going about their business and someone just has to get in their face because they don't like their lifestyle? I mean, how does one's personal lifestyle affect another? It's one thing if they are throwing their lifestyle in your face by trying to get your approval. And there is a lot of people who do that. But that's not what I mean.

I am not talking about street preachers who voice their opinions about social issues. I am not talking about those who protest against this or that issue. No, I am talking about verbally going after a stranger, an individual, who is not asking for your approval or even wants it.

I saw a video of a preacher who was obviously preaching the gospel on the street. But then when he saw two young call girls walking down the street, he yelled at them and told them to repent or they will go to hell. How is this not harassment? They were minding their own business. It's one thing to preach to a crowd of people and another thing to go after someone minding their own business.

I saw another video of a woman yelling at a man for using food stamps. This has got to be harassment. He was with his kids; not bothering anyone. She had to play police. How does him using food stamps affect her?

If I am saying that I don't believe people should voice their opinions in public, then that would make me a hypocrite. I am starting to do that myself. But it's not harassment. Because I am not attacking an individual. And my opinions have caused offense. And I am learning to deal with people who are nasty about my opinions.

So no one here is saying people should not voice their opinions that is going to be offensive.

But it doesn't matter what I think. I am completely worthless. My IQ is only 80. And I don't do much for society. I was just asking about the law. And what that particular law protects.

But I can probably look it up as well.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

But what about people who are just going about their business and someone just has to get in their face because they don't like their lifestyle? I mean, how does one's personal lifestyle affect another? It's one thing if they are throwing their lifestyle in your face by trying to get your approval. And there is a lot of people who do that. But that's not what I mean.

I am not talking about street preachers who voice their opinions about social issues. I am not talking about those who protest against this or that issue. No, I am talking about verbally going after a stranger, an individual, who is not asking for your approval or even wants it.

I saw a video of a preacher who was obviously preaching the gospel on the street. But then when he saw two young call girls walking down the street, he yelled at them and told them to repent. How is this not harassment? They were minding their own business. It's one thing to preach to a crowd of people and another thing to go after someone minding their own business.
I agree that's probably the most ineffective way to spread the Word...
But speech is just vibrating air from a person's mouth, and it's still not illegal to be an ***hole, is it?
And apparently the girls were recognisable as prostitutes, so what should they expect every now and then?
So i agree that guy should put a sock in it, but a crime, as in illegal and forbidden??
I saw another video of a woman yelling at a man for using food stamps. This has got to be harassment. He was with his kids; not bothering anyone. She had to play police. How does him using food stamps affect her?
But then how does she being a total **** affect them?
Sure, it's annoying, insulting, even infuriating (haven't seen the clip), but it's not illegal to be verbal like a total ****, is it?
However, it would be good to have people on the scene to confront her with her behaviour.
That's how it ought to work.
And if there's police around, they should say something.
Because they can arrest her when she then would continue against the cops.

If I am saying that I don't believe people should voice their opinions in public, then that would make me a hypocrite. I am starting to do that myself. But it's not harassment. Because I am not attacking an individual. And my opinions have caused offense. And I am learning to deal with people who are nasty about my opinions.
As a Christian you're supposed to forgive and pat the dust off your feet and move on.
As a Christian you're supposed to keep calm.
Don't get me wrong, it can be very difficult and i have failed hard at that too, but you leave the loudmouth to his / her foolishness, don't feed his / her anger.
So no one here is saying people should not voice their opinions that is going to be offensive.
Of course.
But where do you draw the line?
And where do easily offended people draw the line, when someone dents their ego?

But it doesn't matter what I think. I am completely worthless.
No your not.
You're my fellow human being and a brother in Jesus Christ.
You're not 'worthlesser' than me anyway.
You are a republican though, but we all make mistakes :D :D
My IQ is only 80. And I don't do much for society. I was just asking about the law. And what that particular law protects.

Well, i don't know exactly where to stand either actually.
Freedom of speech should not be freedom of anti-social behaviour or freedom of deliberately hurting someone.

God bless

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats

I saw a video of a preacher who was obviously preaching the gospel on the street. But then when he saw two young call girls walking down the street, he yelled at them and told them to repent or they will go to hell. How is this not harassment? They were minding their own business. It's one thing to preach to a crowd of people and another thing to go after someone minding their own business.

But it doesn't matter what I think. I am completely worthless. My IQ is only 80. And I don't do much for society. I was just asking about the law. And what that particular law protects.

Oops wrong thread to reply.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
I agree that's probably the most ineffective way to spread the Word...
But speech is just vibrating air from a person's mouth, and it's still not illegal to be an ***hole, is it?
And apparently the girls were recognisable as prostitutes, so what should they expect every now and then?
So i agree that guy should put a sock in it, but a crime, as in illegal and forbidden??But then how does she being a total **** affect them?
Sure, it's annoying, insulting, even infuriating (haven't seen the clip), but it's not illegal to be verbal like a total ****, is it?
However, it would be good to have people on the scene to confront her with her behaviour.
That's how it ought to work.
And if there's police around, they should say something.
Because they can arrest her when she then would continue against the cops.

As a Christian you're supposed to forgive and pat the dust off your feet and move on.
As a Christian you're supposed to keep calm.
Don't get me wrong, it can be very difficult and i have failed hard at that too, but you leave the loudmouth to his / her foolishness, don't feed his / her anger.Of course.
But where do you draw the line?
And where do easily offended people draw the line, when someone dents their ego?

No your not.
You're my fellow human being and a brother in Jesus Christ.
You're not 'worthlesser' than me anyway.
You are a republican though, but we all make mistakes :D :D
Well, i don't know exactly where to stand either actually.
Freedom of speech should not be freedom of anti-social behaviour or freedom of deliberately hurting someone.

God bless

Ok I get it.

Thank you for your reply.

And no, it's not harassment. I looked it up. It becomes harassment if it insights violence against that individual. Or if that person uses intimidation to get that individual to listen to them.

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Consider John the Baptist. He was put in prison for telling the king it was not lawful to sleep with his brother's wife. His brother's brothers wife was so mad at this she tricked the king into beheading him.

Compare John the Baptist with the preacher telling the prostitutes it was not legal do do what they were doing.

If you would stop John the Baptist maybe you should reconsider your stance on this issue.

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
Consider John the Baptist. He was put in prison for telling the king it was not lawful to sleep with his brother's wife. His brother's brothers wife was so mad at this she tricked the king into beheading him.

Compare John the Baptist with the preacher telling the prostitutes it was not legal do do what they were doing.

If you would stop John the Baptist maybe you should reconsider your stance on this issue.

OKAY

Some places prostitution is legal. But I don't know where this was.

So I don't know if you are talking about devine law or secular law.

I don't know how to make of John the Baptist.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OKAY

You write well. You present your thoughts adequately and understandably. The first thing I thought about when others attack you was a public school bully. And yes, there are adults who behave that way, as well. I know from experience that it hurts to be ridiculed or talked down to, or to have your presentation misrepresented. I also know that I can pause, Spiritually, in those circumstances, to thank God for His Love, His Overwhelming Presence, His Holy Spirit guidance. I can walk away, complete in Him.

Be Abundantly Blessed in every circumstance and situation!!

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
You write well. You present your thoughts adequately and understandably. The first thing I thought about when others attack you was a public school bully. And yes, there are adults who behave that way, as well. I know from experience that it hurts to be ridiculed or talked down to, or to have your presentation misrepresented. I also know that I can pause, Spiritually, in those circumstances, to thank God for His Love, His Overwhelming Presence, His Holy Spirit guidance. I can walk away, complete in Him.

Be Abundantly Blessed in every circumstance and situation!!

Thank you

God bless you as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

Let me explain.

To me, your "I don´t know how to respond to that" sticks out as the most important part.

Apparently, in our cultures, we are trusted to be able to deal with such occurences (either in the interaction with these persons, or in your interaction with your own emotions, or both), so that such occurences aren´t legally regulated.

Thus, since we don´t have the option of asking for the authorities´ help, the questions "How can I respond to that? How can I learn to deal with behaviours that annoy me?" appear to be the most relevant.

Upvote 0

Moxie123

Aug 19, 2011
Southern California
✟16,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Let me explain.

Remember: the Constitution does not give you rights; you were born with those rights before the Constitution was created. The Constitution "reminds" the public servants that you have these rights.

People do have the freedom to say these awful things, however, if they do not stop after you ask them to stop, bring a claim in your private court of record for wrongdoing and harm. Whole other topic, but it can be done.

I believe the First Amendment was aimed more at the open criticism of government. However, you have a natural right under God to say whatever you want. However, with restraints as scripture directs us.

Upvote 0

Moxie123

Aug 19, 2011
Southern California
✟16,333.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Go to any courtroom in the US. You are told to shut up and sit down.
Clearly, orderliness is top priority.
You think any judge puts up with chanting or lack of respectful
interchange at all, between anybody?

I would never cross that bar in a million years. Administrative hearing officers have no business directing God's people. Two totally different laws.

Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OKAY

John the Baptist was telling the king it was not legal. Since the king makes the secular law John was talking about the law of God. Even if prostitution is legal to man it's still against God's law.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie123
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Let me explain.

All personal rights have limits. These limits are typically reached, when you infringe on the rights of others.

And no, you can not use freedom of speech, as a defense to harass or defame someone else.

Upvote 0