Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reminds me of the things Sphinx used to post.

Sometimes I used to find those surprisingly useful to discussions.

I posted a post that has disappeared.

I basically said that wikipedia - type posts are very impersonal, and the inormation very often unreliable and biased.

It reminds me of Professor Wikipedia:

Professor Wikipedia - YouTube

Upvote 0

dudleysharp

Jul 20, 2008
✟8,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dudley, as a non Orthodox, you are not to debate us on here. you can do that in St Justin's corner. this is the Orthodox forum, so please respect that.

AM:

Much of what I have brought to this forum is confirmable facts, which contradict many of the statements made here, as well as reasoned thought on this matter.

Much of the discussion is secular in nature and I have addressed those issues.

Please respect that.

Is there a positing ban against those who don't adhere strictly to any given denomination?

I believe I have, properly, observed all posting guidlines.

If you can direct me to any rules which I have broken, with a link to that rule, I will abide by that.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I posted a post that has disappeared.

I basically said that wikipedia - type posts are very impersonal, and the inormation very often unreliable and biased.

It reminds me of Professor Wikipedia:

Professor Wikipedia - YouTube

Yeah, though Sphinx wasn't impersonal - his weird quirkiness seemed to have a personality. Kind of like HAL.

I don't think those posts are a reliable source of information. But sometimes they make me think of something from another perspective.

I wouldn't want a whole thread of them, but one here and there - well, I can always not read it if I am not in the mood. There are a few people whose posts I almost never fully read because I cant make sense of them or they have weird fonts or whatever.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
AM:

Much of what I have brought to this forum is confirmable facts, which contradict many of the statements made here, as well as reasoned thought on this matter.

Please respect that.

Is there a positing ban against those who don't adhere strictly to any given denomination?

If you can direct me to any rules which I have broken, with a link to that rule, I will abide by that.

Thank you.
Hi, Dudley,

Congregational Forum Restrictions, Christian Only Forums, and Off-Topic posts
Do not teach or debate in any Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.
http://www.christianforums.com/rules/#faq_rule_0

We take it for granted, but recognize that newbies may honestly not know this.

It's really important for us that answers come within the Orthodox Tradition - many things are not established dogma and so Orthodox Christians may disagree on those issues, from smoking to the death penalty.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dudley, don't walk into an Orthodox subforum and try to school me in the death penalty and lay down insults that go to the heart of my maturity and ability to critically think. I'm offended by your tone. Remember you're a guest and be respectful.

Gurney, simply making up that anyone stated that killings innocents is OK is dishonest and, by definition, counterproductive to mature, thoughtful discussion.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
AM:

Please respect that.

Thank you.

you are still a guest here, so it doesn't matter if what you post is secular. read rus quote, and you can debate us, just please move your debate to the correct forum.

you're welcome

Upvote 0

dudleysharp

Jul 20, 2008
✟8,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, Dudley,

www(DOT)christianforums.com/rules/#faq_rule_0

We take it for granted, but recognize that newbies may honestly not know this.

It's really important for us that answers come within the Orthodox Tradition - many things are not established dogma and so Orthodox Christians may disagree on those issues, from smoking to the death penalty.

rusmeister

Thank you.

Upvote 0

jmc1214

Feb 17, 2012
✟15,181.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
from www(DOT)goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith7116
Thank you for posting this. Included on that site was this observation:
In the Fourth Ecumenical Council of Chalcedon, it was stated that:

"The Fathers defined everything perfectly; he who goes against this is anathema; no one adds, no one takes away" (Acta Concil. II, 1).
Given that the Fathers were virtually unanimous in their support of capital punishment this would seem to settle the issue that there is nothing at all immoral or against Church teaching (OCC or RCC) in its use.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Thank you for posting this. Included on that site was this observation:
In the Fourth Ecumenical Council of Chalcedon, it was stated that:

"The Fathers defined everything perfectly; he who goes against this is anathema; no one adds, no one takes away" (Acta Concil. II, 1).
Given that the Fathers were virtually unanimous in their support of capital punishment this would seem to settle the issue that there is nothing at all immoral or against Church teaching (OCC or RCC) in its use.

Of course, that is not at all what the Catholic Church teaches, which must be a concern to you as a Catholic.;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jmc1214

Feb 17, 2012
✟15,181.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Of course, that is not at all what the Catholic Church teaches, which must be a concern to you as a Catholic.
Unlike my lack of knowledge of the OCC teachings, I am very familiar with what the Roman Church teaches and this (the right of states to employ capital punishment) is very much the position she takes as well. This is not at all surprising; one would expect to see both churches having quite similar positions here since the doctrine expressed is quite an old one going back unchanged at least to Innocent I in 405.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Unlike my lack of knowledge of the OCC teachings, I am very familiar with what the Roman Church teaches and this (the right of states to employ capital punishment) is very much the position she takes as well. This is not at all surprising; one would expect to see both churches having quite similar positions here since the doctrine expressed is quite an old one going back unchanged at least to Innocent I in 405.

The CC has made it quite clear that there are only limited circumstances where they consider that the death penalty appropriate - and that in modern states it is rarely if ever.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey, that's what I said! ^_^

The CC has made it quite clear that there are only limited circumstances where they consider that the death penalty appropriate - and that in modern states it is rarely if ever.

Upvote 0

jmc1214

Feb 17, 2012
✟15,181.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is not the right forum for a discussion of what the RCC believes ... but you misunderstand the nature of the teaching in CCC 2267. It is a prudential judgment; it is not doctrine.
The Pope and the bishops, using their prudential judgment, have concluded that in contemporary society, at least in countries like our own, the death penalty ought not to be invoked, because, on balance, it does more harm than good. (Cardinal Dulles, 2001)

Upvote 0

Redheadedstepchild

Child of God
Site Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
2 weeks from everywhere
✟69,214.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
Mod Hat

Thread is closed by OP request. Folks if you start a thread and later want it closed you need to either PM a moderator or report the thread in order to bring it to the attention of staff. Thanks.

Edit to add, to report a thread go to the 1st post and report it like any other post. That said, only the OP can request that a thread be closed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.