Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I remember when I was in high school there was a young man who I had grown up with who always balked at having those kinds of conversations. His friends would tease him, because he had a girlfriend and so they assumed that the fact that he refused to talk about it must mean that there were problems in their love life that he was embarrassed by. He put an end to their talk one day by admitting that, yes, he and his girlfriend have sex, but he doesn't feel that that's anyone else's business, and the fact that other guys are so eager to talk and brag about it shows that they're clearly not emotionally mature enough to handle having physical relationships, so their lies on this subject are obvious and pathetic to anyone who does have a physical relationship and is mature enough about it to not be a braggart.

I always respected him greatly, and even more so after that. Forget whatever bogus concept of "being a man" that is probably more fed to you by action movies than real life; being a mature adult is more important. I am thankful that I am of an age and in a social circle that does not foster this kind of noxious talk. At a certain point, when you're in your 30s or 40s and married, it's simply not impressive or appropriate to discuss these matters. Keep it between you and your wife, dude. Nobody else cares or wants to hear about it.
Great points, dzheremi.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember when I was in high school there was a young man who I had grown up with who always balked at having those kinds of conversations. His friends would tease him, because he had a girlfriend and so they assumed that the fact that he refused to talk about it must mean that there were problems in their love life that he was embarrassed by. He put an end to their talk one day by admitting that, yes, he and his girlfriend have sex, but he doesn't feel that that's anyone else's business, and the fact that other guys are so eager to talk and brag about it shows that they're clearly not emotionally mature enough to handle having physical relationships, so their lies on this subject are obvious and pathetic to anyone who does have a physical relationship and is mature enough about it to not be a braggart.

I always respected him greatly, and even more so after that. Forget whatever bogus concept of "being a man" that is probably more fed to you by action movies than real life; being a mature adult is more important. I am thankful that I am of an age and in a social circle that does not foster this kind of noxious talk. At a certain point, when you're in your 30s or 40s and married, it's simply not impressive or appropriate to discuss these matters. Keep it between you and your wife, dude. Nobody else cares or wants to hear about it.

amen!

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Then we are told that we are weak, and are letting the woman control us, and we just need to "man" up and show her who's the boss.

It's terrible.
The true irony of that is that if one does "man up" and "show her who's the boss" in many situations it becomes all kinds of mess.

Aaaaaamen!

Upvote 0