Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Or just another sign of those shifting plate techtonics or volcanic activity. Japan is well known for Earthquakes and Indonesia is along the ring of fire as well. All that tectonic/volcanic activity is bound to cause quakes. Thought everyone knew that..

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or just another sign of those shifting plate techtonics or volcanic activity. Japan is well known for Earthquakes and Indonesia is along the ring of fire as well. All that tectonic/volcanic activity is bound to cause quakes. Thought everyone knew that..
I do know that. However, the Bible says that earthquakes are a sign of the times and I believe that the amount of earthquakes we have had has been increasing in the past 20 or so years.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I do know that. However, the Bible says that earthquakes are a sign of the times and I believe that the amount of earthquakes we have had has been increasing in the past 20 or so years.

Possibly with increased volcanic/tectonic activity? Can you provide any sources which agree with your opinion that earthquakes have increased?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟390,085.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have any historical data to back that up ?

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
But what about for the past few decades?

Maybe you've noticed quakes more in the recent years? The source you used isn't very reliable, IMO. Steezie has provided a great link however.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe you've noticed quakes more in the recent years? The source you used isn't very reliable, IMO. Steezie has provided a great link however.
The link Steezie provided is definitely authoritative since it comes from the government. However, does it provide data for just the United States or for the whole world?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

Steezie

But what about for the past few decades?
Of course, our level of seismic monitors and recording stations has increased in recent decades so we're detecting far more earthquakes than before. The actual number hasnt changed, we're simply detecting more because we have more and better equipment. Can you provide any scientific support that the actual number of quakes is going up? And your last link did not count as valid scientific backing

The link Steezie provided is definitely authoritative since it comes from the government. However, does it provide data for just the United States or for the whole world?
World-wide

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course, our level of seismic monitors and recording stations has increased in recent decades so we're detecting far more earthquakes than before. The actual number hasnt changed, we're simply detecting more because we have more and better equipment. Can you provide any scientific support that the actual number of quakes is going up? And your last link did not count as valid scientific backing

World-wide
No I cannot privide scientific support that the actual number of quakes is going up but can you provide support that they're not? Just because we are detecting more earthquakes doesn't mean that they're not on the rise. There could have been many more undetected earthquakes in the past than what we realize.

Upvote 0

wademay4

May 1, 2007
✟15,524.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There was one chart for the entire world and one for the United States. And I couldn't really determine any real pattern (based on the two minutes I spent looking at the data) on whether or not the number of earthquakes has increased as a whole. It seem to depend on the varying magnitudes, with some increasing and some decreasing.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There was one chart for the entire world and one for the United States. And I couldn't really determine any real pattern (based on the two minutes I spent looking at the data) on whether or not the number of earthquakes has increased as a whole. It seem to depend on the varying magnitudes, with some increasing and some decreasing.
Oh okay. Thanks for the information.

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

No I cannot provide scientific support that the actual number of quakes is going up but can you provide support that they're not?
How can you prove a negative? You made the claim that the number of earthquakes have gone up, you need to support your claim which you admitted you couldn't do. What you are asserting is Negative Proof and it is invalid

Just because we are detecting more earthquakes doesn't mean that they're not on the rise. There could have been many more undetected earthquakes in the past than what we realize.
True, but we cannot "make up" earthquakes if we have no proof of them happening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wademay4

May 1, 2007
✟15,524.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No I cannot privide scientific support that the actual number of quakes is going up but can you provide support that they're not? Just because we are detecting more earthquakes doesn't mean that they're not on the rise. There could have been many more undetected earthquakes in the past than what we realize.
Sure there could have been. That doesn't mean thats its true. Just because you can't disprove something does not make it a fact.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sure there could have been. That doesn't mean thats its true. Just because you can't disprove something does not make it a fact.
I know that. I am not trying to make it a fact either.

Upvote 0