Carlo1

May 19, 2016
USA
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if anyone has ever really fought for their marriage when it was so difficult and the partner literally was ready to leave.

For the past 7 months, my wife has been contemplating divorce and the issue is that there's very little I can do other than unconditional love and support. We have been going to counseling but it's mostly my initiative (actually always). My wife has been very dissatisfied with me, but the counselor thinks that it's about things that are absolutely normal for me and part of my personality. It's something where she should not asking me for change but accept me for who I am. It's mostly about social situations, I've always been a very free thinker and the way I respond is sometimes not to her liking.

It seems like the grass is greener to her, and she is about to move out for separation for a few months. She's stated she is not ready to divorce but needs time to consider. The weird thing is that she is not hugging, kissing, sex -- nothing. For months.. And since the counselor has confirmed that the issues she is having with me, are really things she needs to accept, (and my wife admits she does not want to control my behavior). But she is so dissatisfied.

What can I say, I believe she doesn't have the teaching and "gene" from her broken childhood that once you marry someone, you have to become unconditional and accept the person for who they are. She grew up under tragic circumstances with many affairs and brokenness between her parents. But she doesn't really think she is having an issue. She's been so disconnected from me that she is a completely different person.

I kind of took the stance that I will do what I can, and until my last moment (divorce), work for our marriage (without being overbearing). I chose to fight just as I promised and love her in this certainly bad time. But the disconnect is really hurtful and it seems like I have lost her. One thing we agreed on during the separation is being exclusive (that was my condition) which she agreed to, so I don't think she is having an affair.

In summary, I feel really powerless and I believe only Jesus can shake her up. Unfortunately she is not proactive about getting professional help as there is a lot of work-related stress on her. She seems to be mostly obsessing about me. I'd like to hear from people who were in a similar position.

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is she a Christian? If you read Barna survey's, among professing evangelicals and general society, divorce rates are about the same. Other surveys show a much lower rate of divorce among regular church attendees. I heard that there was a survey taking at a very large conference, and they found that far less than evidence 1% of couples who prayed together regularly divorced.

What I would advise you to do is, if your wife will agree to it, spend time praying with her every day and/or night. You could even do an 'exercise' where each one of your prays for your own problems that you will be and do better in your marriage, and ask God for his help. Confess your sins to one another and pray one for another like James 5 says. You can also study the Bible together. If that sounds uncomfortable for you, you can just read scripture together. You could include scriptures about marriage as well.

My wife and I took a marriage-focused Sunday school class using the book 'Love and Respect'. That was good. If you could find something like that to do together, that may be helpful. Also, if you could both join a good home group where people really pray for each other and you can find some godly people to share with who could give you both some advice, that may help.

Reactions: wtrailer
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
She grew up under tragic circumstances with many affairs and brokenness between her parents. But she doesn't really think she is having an issue. She's been so disconnected from me that she is a completely different person.

I know you asked for people to respond that have been in similar situations (and I don't qualify there).....but this quote really stands out to me.

So....you're saying she's been open to couples counseling, but won't seek individual counseling? This really seems like something she needs help in (dealing with her past, I mean). That's where all her impressions about relationships have been learned (and it's difficult to *unlearn* all that). I wish I had "advice" for you....but this really is dependent upon her motivation so do some self-reflection (and it is easier to look at others and critique them instead of looking within....unfortunately). I've met plenty of people that go through life that way---never doing any internal reflection and always looking for things in others they can blame for things falling apart. Praying for your strength and well-being through the process. All I can think of is that you can still remain compassionate and patient with her---she may have an ingrained fear of people leaving (and she may be subconsciously "testing" your loyalty to her). People with that fear will often sabotage relationships (not on purpose---or knowingly). I think it's almost a twisted way of protecting them self---kind of a "I'll hurt you before you can hurt me" sort of thing.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The weird thing is that she is not hugging, kissing, sex -- nothing. For months..

Women marry men hoping that they will change. Men marry women hoping that they won't. So, each is inevitably disappointed. -Albert Einstein

I'm going to go out on a limb drawing upon several years' experience counseling couples and upon how your described your wife's upbringing. Based on your statement quoted above, I would be willing to bet that your wife is cheating on you. I would also be willing to bet that she is cheating with a married man who will not leave his wife.

Take that as you will.

You're right that only God can shake her up. I'll pray for the two of you.

Reactions: scw43
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Women marry men hoping that they will change. Men marry women hoping that they won't. So, each is inevitably disappointed. -Albert Einstein

Since you weren't around when there was a LOT of acrimony around here, I just wanted to let you know that these types of generalities aren't within forum guidelines (thankfully). It just doesn't foster friendly discussion.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since you weren't around when there was a LOT of acrimony around here, I just wanted to let you know that these types of generalities aren't within forum guidelines (thankfully). It just doesn't foster friendly discussion.

“The problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story.” ~Chimanda Ngozi Adichie

McGal1, your quote is prejudiced because it unfairly stereotypes stereotypes. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums