NW England
✟1,050,226.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious to those that think Judas was forgiven and saved, why did Jesus say this

"The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born." Matthew 26:24

I don't know whether Judas is saved, and I don't think I claimed that he was.

I think it is clear that he was sorry for his actions; he told the priests he had betrayed an innocent man, threw the money back at them and then went and hung himself. I would say that that shows remorse.
I think the reason the Lord said that it would be better if Judas hadn't been born was because he knew that Judas would kill himself and not wait to see the resurrection or seek forgiveness. He probably died in torment, believing that he had been solely responsible for the death of the Messiah.
But don't forget also that Jesus' death was God's plan for the salvation of the world - the spotless lamb of God offered his life as a sacrifice to reconcile sinful man to God. He is the Good Shepherd who lay down his life for the sheep - Jesus himself said that that was what was going to happen. If Judas hadn't betrayed him, Jesus would have still been crucified.

So I believe that Judas' anguish was because he didn't believe Jesus would be raised from the dead - the other disciples didn't either - and he didn't wait to see if that was the case. If he had, I personally feel sure that the Lord would have forgiven him.

Upvote 0

Holoman

Credo
Jun 29, 2015
UK
✟18,043.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't know whether Judas is saved, and I don't think I claimed that he was.

I think it is clear that he was sorry for his actions; he told the priests he had betrayed an innocent man, threw the money back at them and then went and hung himself. I would say that that shows remorse.
I think the reason the Lord said that it would be better if Judas hadn't been born was because he knew that Judas would kill himself and not wait to see the resurrection or seek forgiveness. He probably died in torment, believing that he had been solely responsible for the death of the Messiah.
But don't forget also that Jesus' death was God's plan for the salvation of the world - the spotless lamb of God offered his life as a sacrifice to reconcile sinful man to God. He is the Good Shepherd who lay down his life for the sheep - Jesus himself said that that was what was going to happen. If Judas hadn't betrayed him, Jesus would have still been crucified.

So I believe that Judas' anguish was because he didn't believe Jesus would be raised from the dead - the other disciples didn't either - and he didn't wait to see if that was the case. If he had, I personally feel sure that the Lord would have forgiven him.

Yes that's interesting. I had taken 'wish never been born' as a statement of intent to punish, but it could be a self induced torment. Forgiving others is often easier than forgiving oneself.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0