Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As we move towards holy week, I would like to ask any of you whom I have offended to forgive me (especially any of the controversial threads!)

A blessed end of Lent and start of Holy Week to you all!

A

aChildOfMary

Please forgive me aswell, I'm a sinner and I've caused some anger at TAW in the past with some of my post where I've failed to show the proper amount of respect towards your faith and your church by ignoring the safe haven rules at TAW.

Please find it in your heart to forgive me for my trespasses.
I'll work with myself in order to avoid this in the future.

In his mercy
aChildOfMary

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
aChildOfMary said:
Please forgive me aswell, I'm a sinner and I've caused some anger at TAW in the past with some of my post where I've failed to show the proper amount of respect towards your faith and your church by ignoring the safe haven rules at TAW. Please find it in your heart to forgive me for my trespasses. I'll work with myself in order to avoid this in the future. In his mercy aChildOfMary
God forgives and I forgive! :crosseo:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As we move towards holy week, I would like to ask any of you whom I have offended to forgive me (especially any of the controversial threads!)

A blessed end of Lent and start of Holy Week to you all!
God forgives me and I forgive...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Please may I ask forgiveness too, my brothers and sisters? I'm sure in my ignorance at times I have gone in wrong directions, and as a result of my enthusiasm (dare I say "convertitis"?) as well. Please forgive me for other ways I have offended as well. Thank you for your patience.

God bless you all!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know I'm going to catch Gehenna for this. Excuse me a minute. I'm going to put on my blast shield, kevlar vest, and riot helmet....

Why do we ask general forgiveness from people we think we might've maybe somehow offended? It seems like it's becoming more of an Orthodox thing to do just as part of the season, rather than a real tangible act?

For example, if I was rude to ArmyMatt or Kylissa, or I remember being a jerk to Rusmeister, or perhaps I laughed off jckstraw's points and tried to be combative and nasty to him, then I have something to work off of. I feel guilt in my heart, know I fell short and didn't act godly, and I did some damage, then shouldn't I go to them individually and just apologize and ask forgiveness? Why the generic setup? I know the idea that we're sinners and just need general forgiveness for our very natures as sinners, but sometimes I think it's actually easy and almost a cop-out to do this "forgive me, a sinner" and then get the obligatory "God forgives, I forgive" thing. It's easy, I look good, I seem pious, we go through motions, we sound Eastern.

I know, I sound like a jerk for asking, but to me it seems easy! I got screwed by my clergy. They'll go to Forgiveness Vespers and say this same script over and over and look pious but they aren't addressing the guy they hurt? Seems odd and in the end weak.

I try to address wrongs all year long when I commit the sin. My buddy at work and I get a little frisky and sometimes argue and say things we don't mean. We take turns sucking it up and apologizing. We're specific as to why, what we did wrong, and we ask for reconciliation. I do that with parents in my class. I had a parent the other day come in screaming in my face. I apologized to him for the misunderstanding with his daughter, for my part in it, but explained to him what his daughter did and what she wasn't telling him, the reasons behind the situation. I've apologized to my principal when I sound accusatory or hot around the collar with him, to my wife when I get nasty and testy and rude once in a while, to other teachers at work, my own parents, to my own children at home.

I guess I'm more of a direct guy and not much into the outer scripted rituals and traditions with this.

Forgive me a sinner if I tick anyone off with this post! :sorry::o:sorry::p

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i think you're right Gurney - it certainly CAN become just a formality and a way of avoiding confronting those we know we have hurt. I think it's best to personally speak or write to those whom you KNOW you have hurt, and also to ask in general, because it's always possible that we hurt someone unknowingly - whether by our words or by our silence.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
jckstraw72 said:
i think you're right Gurney - it certainly CAN become just a formality and a way of avoiding confronting those we know we have hurt. I think it's best to personally speak or write to those whom you KNOW you have hurt, and also to ask in general, because it's always possible that we hurt someone unknowingly - whether by our words or by our silence.

I would agree with this...We should personally ask forgiveness for those who we know or are likely to have offended, but it also is helpful to ask in general in case we hurt others unknowingly or hurt a general group of people unintentionally. Also, it helps as an act to put you in the state of repentance and humility to others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

this, it is a fine line that we always gotta walk. I know some folks who go through the motions when it comes to this (and have myself had this struggle), and only say forgiveness because that's what everyone else does. but I think that the general one is there because we don't always know of those we offend.

Upvote 0