Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Snipped to portion addressed. Longer post above.

The states cannot nullify a federal law.

"Hide and watch."

Did you know some states tried to nullify school integration? Didn't work

Not the same thing.

Already the thing is collapsing of its own weight. And Dems are running scared from it. Still this is not helping the original poster. She is being forced to sign up for something and is not even afforded the option of choosing to be fined (like most young people will do and the law itself allows, nor is she being afforded all the delays (heard another one was allowed until just after the election this year. ;) ) With luck things will be delayed to such an extent that it will no longer present a problem for folks.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Already the thing is collapsing of its own weight. And Dems are running scared from it. Still this is not helping the original poster. She is being forced to sign up for something and is not even afforded the option of choosing to be fined (like most young people will do and the law itself allows, nor is she being afforded all the delays (heard another one was allowed until just after the election this year. ;) ) With luck things will be delayed to such an extent that it will no longer present a problem for folks.

I couldn't sign up today cuz the offices were closed due to the holiday. But, at least I got to look one more time at the different policies. In true government fashion, you can get a discount on co-pays only if you sign up for one of the silver plans--why ONLY the silver plan? The bronze would of made more sense, as it has the highest co-pays for the lower income customers (who need a discount). I also have no idea if the co-pay reduction is a tax credit or just some kind of federal aid. If it's a tax credit, then I need to figure it into my tax situation for the year 2014. If not, is the co-pay reduction/discount considered income or non-taxable welfare? :confused:

The thing I don't understand is why the feds chose to use the IRS to enforce a health care situation. To get health care all tangled up with the tax department makes no sense. My guess is that it was the only way for the federal government to have total control over the situation.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Heard that one woman lost her insurance because of Obamacare so she thought she'd have to sign up for Obamacare and finally did so. But the more she thought about it, the more "she had doubts". Finally she went to Blue Cross and actually found a better policy (and much cheaper than the Obamacare one). She signed up for that, but it took her the longest time to get out of the Obamacare one.

And be careful. I know that I mentioned that one of my daughter's daughters (only 19 but still in high school) was removed from the family's insurance and told to go on Obamacare by the government at her last birthday. (She has health problems since a baby so the family was at their wits end.) Anyway, she went to sign up, but the state exchange put her on Medicaid (rather like the other woman in this county who was put on the state's Medicaid unbeknownst to her.)

Heard that even Walmart health insurance is better and cheaper than that on the Obamacare exchanges. Don't know though.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well I disagree, it is not a right. America will die. Oidiot care needs to go

Health care is indeed a basic human right.

If some one shows up at your door having a heart attack and you choose to do nothing, you will be charged and convicted.

The Supreme Court even ruled in the case in California, where voters passed a law which prohibited hospitals from treating illegal immigrants. The hospitals themselves sued the state and the SCOTUS agreed that the Hospitals have the mandate to treat people for illnesses, regardless who they are.

The Catholic Church says that health care is as basic a right as food and water.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's easy for those who have health care coverage to oppose the AHC.

They don't have to watch their loved one's rushed to the ER and see their life savings depleted and leans put on their homes.

It's the old, "Hooray for Me, the Hell with You," mentality. Yet such people profess themselves to be pro-life Christians. What a mockery of the faith.

Jim

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's easy for those who have health care coverage to oppose the AHC.

They don't have to watch their loved one's rushed to the ER and see their life savings depleted and leans put on their homes.

It's the old, "Hooray for Me, the Hell with You," mentality. Yet such people profess themselves to be pro-life Christians. What a mockery of the faith.

Jim
Look, I DO have coverage My father DOES have coverage, but that does NOT mean that when he had cancer the first time even WITH coverage we still did not end up paying 1000s My Uncle ( who does not have coverage and had cancer shortly before did get treatment, but if you are trying to propose that the man did not pay a bill or even that the man will EVER work full-time again to make the money he once did then no that is not right. He is STILL having problems four years on and at 56 and seven months (today actually) he realizes common says Mr. P you are knocked out of the full-time point blank period.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Look, I DO have coverage My father DOES have coverage, but that does NOT mean that when he had cancer the first time even WITH coverage we still did not end up paying 1000s My Uncle ( who does not have coverage and had cancer shortly before did get treatment, but if you are trying to propose that the man did not pay a bill or even that the man will EVER work full-time again to make the money he once did then no that is not right. He is STILL having problems four years on and at 56 and seven months (today actually) he realizes common says Mr. P you are knocked out of the full-time point blank period.

In my perfect world, he wouldn't have had to pay a dime for cancer treatment.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well in a perfect world cancer would not be an issue, but this is NOT a perfect world.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,405.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My father DOES have coverage, but that does NOT mean that when he had cancer the first time even WITH coverage we still did not end up paying 1000s

Thank God for our National Health Service !

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Just wondering, in your perfect world, who is going to pay for the doctors, nurses, ICU, medical tests, medical research, surgery, medication?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank God for our National Health Service !
and guess what. He relapsed and he is STILL aganist the new law. I am 22 and have VARIOUS health problems at least two guess I have ALREADY decided upon three conditions under which I intend to OPT for passive euthanasia. That is not seek life-saving besides call hospice in to make me comfortable. It is funny how I am 22 and have accepted that and yet some older people just REFUSE to let themselves go.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Well in a perfect world cancer would not be an issue, but this is NOT a perfect world.

We're running on a different definition of perfect here. How about in my ideal current world? Does that work better?

Just wondering, in your perfect world, who is going to pay for the doctors, nurses, ICU, medical tests, medical research, surgery, medication?

We would. All of us. Because life is that important. Or so I keep being told life is important by those who oppose abortion very, very strongly. Is it only important prior to birth?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
AMDG said:

"Hide and watch."

I need not hide. My state is not in violation of federal law. Nor does it have anymore delusions about being able to nullify federal law. Governor Faubus learned that lesson the hard way.

Not the same thing.

Same principle. That a state can declare a federal law Unconstitutional and disobey it.

This has nothing to do with nullification. Whether a law is effective or not has no bearing on its legality.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
We're running on a different definition of perfect here. How about in my ideal current world? Does that work better?

We would. All of us. Because life is that important. Or so I keep being told life is important by those who oppose abortion very, very strongly. Is it only important prior to birth?
There will never be a perfect world until Jesus comes back. Everything takes money and quite frankly I have said it before and I will say it again at a certain point money IS more important than life. I learned that at an early age some people MUCH older than I have yet to get it.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Everything takes money and quite frankly I have said it before and I will say it again at a certain point money IS more important than life.

I think someone saying that who claims to be a follower of HaShem in any capacity needs to seriously reevaluate their priorities in life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think someone saying that who claims to be a follower of HaShem in any capacity needs to seriously reevaluate their priorities in life.
Why? I would think it would be common sense ( Christian or otherwise).

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Why? I would think it would be common sense ( Christian or otherwise).

Common sense would dictate that a being so far above us wouldn't care about the insignificant lives of people wandering around, but both Christianity and Judaism affirm that not only does He care, He cares enough to actively take a role in those lives.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Common sense would dictate that a being so far above us wouldn't care about the insignificant lives of people wandering around, but both Christianity and Judaism affirm that not only does He care, He cares enough to actively take a role in those lives.
IF you only have so much money or other resources for that matter at some point and I in a sense hate to use the word deserve but for lack of a better word you have to decide who deserves those resources. Is it the person that is dying at 75 and will not get much benefit OR the person that needs treatment at 25 and will be able to recover.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

We would. All of us.

Really? Or would we just end up turning folks against each other? (Example--you don't deserved that help--you are too old or too young--you don't contribute to the community, or you ate salt, or sugar in your younger life, or you didn't go to the gym enough, etc.) Or will we end up rationing to save the scarce medical care for the elite?

Medical care is expensive (I know, remember that this summer I got the opportunity to sit in an ICU wondering about even how much THAT cost or how much they were charging for the donated blood, or etc. ) And surely you must know that competition (where one organization competes with another to bring in a lower cost while keeping quality of care) is the only way to make things cheaper. It's the same reason monopolies need to be destroyed--there's no competition and so the prices can just skyrocket because there are no "checks" against it. (Isn't there some sort of Act that does just that, for just that reason?)

And surely you must know that to simply to give less compensation than a service actually costs means that quality of care suffers and that many health professionals will simply refuse to accept the meager compensation (and so will not treat the poor). Force those in the medical profession to provide services anyway? There's a word for that. It's called slavery.

In a perfect world, there WOULD be no illness (but Adam and Eve messed that up for us) so the next best thing would be competition (to reduce prices) and charity (to show love of neighbor.)

Of course this doesn't help the OP. She needs inexpensive health care insurance.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Really? Or would we just end up turning folks against each other? (Example--you don't deserved that help--you are too old, or you ate salt, or sugar in your younger life, or you didn't go to the gym enough, etc.) Or will we end up rationing to save the scarce medical care for the elite?

I would think we could solve all the problems if we put our mind to it. We made it to the Moon! I mean, seriously, what happened to that attitude in this country? Now people just throw their hands up in the air and say it can't be done!

Upvote 0