For women only: Spiritual Covering

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
It has been used that men... Pastors, Rabbis, Husbands, Elders, Fathers... are the woman's spiritual covering. A “spiritual covering” is a person who supposedly has more spiritual authority than you.

Often, 1 Peter 5 is used to support the need for believers to submit to their pastors, elders, and husbands as their “spiritual covering.” In the text, Peter is encouraging church leaders to care for their congregation, but there is no indication that leaders have more “spiritual authority” than other Christians.

1 Peter 5:3 Do not lord it over those in your charge, but be examples to the flock.

For us women especially is the command to "submit".

Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Those men who want to abuse the women in their life stop at the word husbands, demanding whatever their heart's desire. We, women, need to stay focused and "submit... as unto the Lord"

I know that God certainly calls us as believers to
- respect earthly authorities (Romans 13:1)
- seek out their godly guidance and wisdom (Proverbs 11:14; Proverbs 5:11-14)

but ultimately, we are accountable to God alone (Romans 3:19)
but the truth be told we need only God’s approval to move forward in whatever we sense God calling us to do (2 Timothy 2:15).

The bondage of "spiritual authority" is subtle and really only revealed God has called you to do something different. This person with a "spiritual authority" complex will then reveal the true spirit behind the believer's mask and start making declarations, demands, and with all the tools available work towards forcing you to "submit" to their authority. This is not a spiritual healthy thing to do.

It is one thing to submit because you are in agreement, it is quite another to submit because you feel forced or are forced to.

Elihoenai

Who has ceased to eat Manna?
Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
All things in their proper order according to the faith.

The Authority of Christ leadeth NOT into sin.

Genesis 16:7-9 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

7 And a messenger of Jehovah findeth her by the fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way [to] Shur,

8 and he saith, `Hagar, Sarai's handmaid, whence hast thou come, and whither dost thou go?' and she saith, `From the presence of Sarai, my mistress, I am fleeing.'

9 And the messenger of Jehovah saith to her, `Turn back unto thy mistress, and humble thyself under her hands;'

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
All things in their proper order according to the faith.

The Authority of Christ leadeth NOT into sin.

Genesis 16:7-9 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

7 And a messenger of Jehovah findeth her by the fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way [to] Shur,

8 and he saith, `Hagar, Sarai's handmaid, whence hast thou come, and whither dost thou go?' and she saith, `From the presence of Sarai, my mistress, I am fleeing.'

9 And the messenger of Jehovah saith to her, `Turn back unto thy mistress, and humble thyself under her hands;'
As God said in one case doesn't make it the absolute in all cases. Did Abigail obey her husband by bring David and his men food?

Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
As God said in one case doesn't make it the absolute in all cases. Did Abigail obey her husband by bring David and his men food?

This is of the Heathen or the Carnal calling themselves Christian and Jewish.

Is Nabal under the Authority of Jehovah/Yahweh?

1 Samuel 25:17 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

17 `And, now, know and consider what thou dost; for evil hath been determined against our lord, and against all his house, and he [is] too much a son of worthlessness to be spoken to.'

Deuteronomy 13:12-16 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

12 `When thou hearest, in one of thy cities which Jehovah thy God is giving to thee to dwell there, [one] saying,

13 Men, sons of worthlessness, have gone out of thy midst, and they force away the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known --

14 and thou hast enquired, and searched, and asked diligently, and lo, truth; the thing is established; this abomination hath been done in thy midst:

15 `Thou dost surely smite the inhabitants of that city by the mouth of the sword; devoting it, and all that [is] in it, even its cattle, by the mouth of the sword;

16 and all its spoil thou dost gather unto the midst of its broad place, and hast burned with fire the city and all its spoil completely, before Jehovah thy God, and it hath been a heap age-during, it is not built any more;

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
This is of the Heathen or the Carnal calling themselves Christian and Jewish.

Is Nabal under the Authority of Jehovah/Yahweh?

1 Samuel 25:17 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

17 `And, now, know and consider what thou dost; for evil hath been determined against our lord, and against all his house, and he [is] too much a son of worthlessness to be spoken to.'

Deuteronomy 13:12-16 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

12 `When thou hearest, in one of thy cities which Jehovah thy God is giving to thee to dwell there, [one] saying,

13 Men, sons of worthlessness, have gone out of thy midst, and they force away the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known --

14 and thou hast enquired, and searched, and asked diligently, and lo, truth; the thing is established; this abomination hath been done in thy midst:

15 `Thou dost surely smite the inhabitants of that city by the mouth of the sword; devoting it, and all that [is] in it, even its cattle, by the mouth of the sword;

16 and all its spoil thou dost gather unto the midst of its broad place, and hast burned with fire the city and all its spoil completely, before Jehovah thy God, and it hath been a heap age-during, it is not built any more;
?? and this has to do with the woman obeying her husband, her "authoritative covering"??
For if this is your example, then it verifies what I have pointed out... each case is different... and "authoritative covering" comes with an exemption clause.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
This thread shows why it is so very critical to only
date those who are marriage material, and that is
someone who is able to lead a family before God.
We are all fallen, so no marriage is perfect, but that
is different than being unequally yoked, whether with
an unbeliever or a believer who is at a much different
stage of belief than you.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
?? and this has to do with the woman obeying her husband, her "authoritative covering"??
For if this is your example, then it verifies what I have pointed out... each case is different... and "authoritative covering" comes with an exemption clause.

You don't have a Veil! You don't have a Veil! Where is your Veil?

Isaiah 47:2-3 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

2 Take millstones, and grind flour, Remove thy veil, draw up the skirt, Uncover the leg, pass over the floods.

3 Revealed is thy nakedness, yea, seen is thy reproach, Vengeance I take, and I meet not a man.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
You don't have a Veil! You don't have a Veil! Where is your Veil?

Isaiah 47:2-3 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

2 Take millstones, and grind flour, Remove thy veil, draw up the skirt, Uncover the leg, pass over the floods.

3 Revealed is thy nakedness, yea, seen is thy reproach, Vengeance I take, and I meet not a man.
I can go for the Lord's covering of a veil and for good reasons He requires from us [because of angels]. It is the lord's coverings... men, husbands, brothers, sons, and other humans usually of the male dominance that I question. Not that there are some great ones to follow, but that it is not an absolute because there are some who should not be followed.

Nabal was bad-tempered, unfriendly, and mean in his dealings. Abigail was dealing with an overbearing and verbally abusive husband. Many women have found themselves in this situation, try to make the best of it and work around the daily wrongs sayings, doings, and influences to evil their husbands perpetrate. Those 'religious' husbands who claim this authoritative powers over their wives usually abuse it. So while under the cloak of submission, wives often work to correct the errors of their husbands ways. If they did not they would be assessors to the fact they knew what was right and did nothing. This might be classified under the halacha law of choosing which is better [Sabbath rest vs working to rescuing the poor animal]. Should she submit and obey her authoritative covering in his error or should she discretely and wisely undo, change the course of action, word and deed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elihoenai

Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
I can go for the Lord's covering of a veil and for good reasons He requires from us [because of angels]. It is the lord's coverings... men, husbands, brothers, sons, and other humans usually of the male dominance that I question. Not that there are some great ones to follow, but that it is not an absolute because there are some who should not be followed.

Nabal was bad-tempered, unfriendly, and mean in his dealings. Abigail was dealing with an overbearing and verbally abusive husband. Many women have found themselves in this situation, try to make the best of it and work around the daily wrongs sayings, doings, and influences to evil their husbands perpetrate. Those 'religious' husbands who claim this authoritative powers over their wives usually abuse it. So while under the cloak of submission, wives often work to correct the errors of their husbands ways. If they did not they would be assessors to the fact they knew what was right and did nothing. This might be classified under the halacha law of choosing which is better [Sabbath rest vs working to rescuing the poor animal]. Should she submit and obey her authoritative covering in his error or should she discretely and wisely undo, change the course of action, word and deed?

Mongrels! Mongrels! Mongrels! You propagate Mongrels!

The relationship you describe is of the Heathen where treasures on earth have been laid up.

We are seeking for the Pure Wrath of Jehovah/Yahweh!

Isaiah 63:5-6 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

5 And I look attentively, and there is none helping, And I am astonished that there is none supporting, And give salvation to me doth mine own arm. And my wrath -- it hath supported me.

6 And I tread down peoples in mine anger, And I make them drunk in my fury, And I bring down to earth their strength.

Matthew 6:19 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

19 `Treasure not up to yourselves treasures on the earth, where moth and rust disfigure, and where thieves break through and steal,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Mongrels! Mongrels! Mongrels! You propagate Mongrels!

The relationship you describe is of the Heathen where treasures on earth have been laid up.

We are seeking for the Pure Wrath of Jehovah/Yahweh!

Isaiah 63:5-6 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

5 And I look attentively, and there is none helping, And I am astonished that there is none supporting, And give salvation to me doth mine own arm. And my wrath -- it hath supported me.

6 And I tread down peoples in mine anger, And I make them drunk in my fury, And I bring down to earth their strength.

Matthew 6:19 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

19 `Treasure not up to yourselves treasures on the earth, where moth and rust disfigure, and where thieves break through and steal,
??? So what does this have to do with a woman having to think for themselves and determine what is right??

Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
??? So what does this have to do with a woman having to think for themselves and determine what is right??

You ask this question because you are hearing what you are talking!

You are engaged in Money Laundering!

Adventures of Stevie V - Dirty Cash (Money Talks)

Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
?? I am afraid you have lost me ??

This is great reason to Rejoice.

Thank you for your replies.

Matthew 15:22-24 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

22 and lo, a woman, a Canaanitess, from those borders having come forth, did call to him, saying, `Deal kindly with me, Sir -- Son of David; my daughter is miserably demonized.'

23 And he did not answer her a word; and his disciples having come to him, were asking him, saying -- `Let her away, because she crieth after us;'

24 and he answering said, `I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.'

Matthew 24:35 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

35 The heaven and the earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
This is great reason to Rejoice.

Thank you for your replies.

Matthew 15:22-24 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

22 and lo, a woman, a Canaanitess, from those borders having come forth, did call to him, saying, `Deal kindly with me, Sir -- Son of David; my daughter is miserably demonized.'

23 And he did not answer her a word; and his disciples having come to him, were asking him, saying -- `Let her away, because she crieth after us;'

24 and he answering said, `I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel'

Matthew 24:35 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

35 The heaven and the earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
I think I am going to need you to explain the connection with men are "women's covering" in these verses you provided me.

Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
I think I am going to need you to explain the connection with men are "women's covering" in these verses you provided me.

There will be no Spoon Feeding. Meditation in the Spirit is required.

1 Corinthians 2:14 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

14 and the natural man doth not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for to him they are foolishness, and he is not able to know [them], because spiritually they are discerned;

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It has been used that men... Pastors, Rabbis, Husbands, Elders, Fathers... are the woman's spiritual covering. A “spiritual covering” is a person who supposedly has more spiritual authority than you.

Often, 1 Peter 5 is used to support the need for believers to submit to their pastors, elders, and husbands as their “spiritual covering.” In the text, Peter is encouraging church leaders to care for their congregation, but there is no indication that leaders have more “spiritual authority” than other Christians.

1 Peter 5:3 Do not lord it over those in your charge, but be examples to the flock.

For us women especially is the command to "submit".

Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Those men who want to abuse the women in their life stop at the word husbands, demanding whatever their heart's desire. We, women, need to stay focused and "submit... as unto the Lord"

I know that God certainly calls us as believers to
- respect earthly authorities (Romans 13:1)
- seek out their godly guidance and wisdom (Proverbs 11:14; Proverbs 5:11-14)

but ultimately, we are accountable to God alone (Romans 3:19)
but the truth be told we need only God’s approval to move forward in whatever we sense God calling us to do (2 Timothy 2:15).

The bondage of "spiritual authority" is subtle and really only revealed God has called you to do something different. This person with a "spiritual authority" complex will then reveal the true spirit behind the believer's mask and start making declarations, demands, and with all the tools available work towards forcing you to "submit" to their authority. This is not a spiritual healthy thing to do.

It is one thing to submit because you are in agreement, it is quite another to submit because you feel forced or are forced to.

I did a study on this very thing a couple of years ago and found it helpful when I came across; quite by accident, historical facts concerning the Churches at Ephesus, and Corinth and what the people living there were dealing with as issues. Corinthians speaks to both women and men regarding their conduct. The women were let into the temple for the first time and some had become a bit disruptive to services with many questions, so that was addressed that they should be quiet and ask their husbands at more appropriate times about what they heard in services. Some of the men tended to be lazy gossipers who stood idle much of the day and gawked at the women passing by. Some of the women were so into physical beauty that they filled their hair with shells and pearls and wore layers of expensive fabric. They walked up and down the streets buying goods and competing for the attentions of some of the men. In short, Ephesus was a bit of a mess as well. Complaints were made by some... Paul heard from Timothy and Paul wrote these letters to address these issues.

Regarding a man being the covering for the woman also took prayer and study for me as a woman. Early in my marriage, neither my husband nor I were very wise or educated in Spiritual things; though we were devout Christians. Those concerns and our wide-eyed naivete is something we both grin about now, 23 years later. What my husband Row and I have come to understand in our own personal relationships with each other and the Lord I can best describe this way. In any successful business, there is a President and a Vice President. The woman can be just as, if not more capable in many things. It all depends upon the couple, what their individual strengths are and what they can agree on together is the best course for their marriage and through their own set of trials and personal sacrifices, find a model that works for them and makes them, for the most part content and happy.

There were amazing women Evangelists, Prophets, Teachers, and Leaders in the early Church. Paul spoke of several of them and gave them their rightful place in Scripture with respect and love.

Now that I am past my youth and my need for recognition and validation is not constant or so prideful any longer, and now that Row and I have weathered some incredible valleys and mountain-tops, we see the incorruptible truth about what each brings to the marriage as well as a partnership in Ministry. For us, Row is the head and my covering. This means he answers to God for me; for our finances, our ministry, and our marriage. It all falls to him in the end. This doesn't mean I am not responsible before the Lord for my actions; just that with the big title comes the most responsibility. Although others may take a business toward its downfall, ultimately the President is the one held responsible for the company as a whole. Still I work hard for the preservation of something holy. He is simply a born leader and I am not. I am so happy to be second-in-command because my immediate boss Row is a wonderful kind, gentle, loving, steady, calm, reasonable man who puts my needs above his own. I know how blessed I am as not a lot of women can make that claim. He is fiercely protective of me but supports me in my own endeavors. He is good at saving money and paying bills. I would be good at the bills as well if I were in the habit of keeping them. As it is, both of us trying to do the same job is more distracting and less fluid. I'm glad he does it. I have many of my own responsibilities; things Row can't get to and also things I love doing for us both. We are partners. He does his best to love me like Christ loves the Church, though he is not perfect by any means. I do my best to give him the respect he deserves; the admiration he needs that tells him he is doing a good job, and sometimes I fail. So in my marriage, Row is the head of me. The Lord is head of us both. But ultimately, because Adam came first and Eve from Adam, he answers for us both. Just as Adam was made to answer for what he and Eve both did. Male or female isn't really the issue, though so so so many people get stuck on just that one point. I'm certain some would have strong arguments against my views expressed here. But for me to have found fulfilling answers over this issue, I had to study study study and research because I needed answers that would ease my pride and make sense in a way that did not contradict the Scriptures which so obviously gives account to many biblical women in Leadership roles.

I hope this helped.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
I love your testimony. I am delighted that you are blessed with a wonderful husband, but this thread is about the abuse men used to "lord" over their women. It was what Abigail experienced. Women held prisoner by scripture verse obedience, are taken advantage of to their own detriment.

They stay in a unhealthy marriage way beyond when it is safe to do so. They feel compelled to while at the same time feel that the Lord has not made a way of escape for them. I am not talking about excuses. "Hardness" of heart in the men makes it unhealthy, not safe, and spiritually, mentally, and sometimes physically abusive.

Upvote 0