Cherry 7-Up is still the best
Oct 19, 2006
In limbo
✟15,872.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm considering transferring to Biola University to study philosophy. A faculty that includes J. P. Moreland and William Lane Craig as professors sounds very appealing to me. Has anyone else studied philosophy at a Christian university? If so, what were your thoughts?

Also, has anyone studied at Biola in general? If so, what were your thoughts?

Thanks.

apumic

Feb 27, 2006
✟15,310.00
Faith
Christian
I am not a philosophy major, but I do attend a Christian university (actually... Biola's rival ;)) and I have a number of friends majoring (or more often than not double-majoring) in Philosophy and they seem to enjoy it. If you have specific questions, I may be able to pass some of those on to them next time I see them or talk to them (although it is summer...).
As far as Biola goes... it's a beautiful campus, great school, although they lose to us every time we play :D and they have a pretty amazing cafeteria -- I hear students especially like their silverware... ^_^ (sorry... couldn't resist!)

All kidding aside, though, it's actually a really great school. I am actually considering Rosemead (their graduate school of psychology) for grad school.

Upvote 0

Vigilante

Oct 19, 2006
In limbo
✟15,872.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I am not a philosophy major, but I do attend a Christian university (actually... Biola's rival ;)) and I have a number of friends majoring (or more often than not double-majoring) in Philosophy and they seem to enjoy it. If you have specific questions, I may be able to pass some of those on to them next time I see them or talk to them (although it is summer...).
As far as Biola goes... it's a beautiful campus, great school, although they lose to us every time we play :D and they have a pretty amazing cafeteria -- I hear students especially like their silverware... ^_^ (sorry... couldn't resist!)

All kidding aside, though, it's actually a really great school. I am actually considering Rosemead (their graduate school of psychology) for grad school.

Thanks! I don't have any specific Q's right now, but if I come up with any I'll shoot you a note.

that was a great prank, btw. ;)

Upvote 0

emmzee

Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm thinking of going back to school in a year or two, to do another masters at Biola (Philosophy of Religion & Ethics), more specifically Talbot.

Biola has a good reputation among Christian schools, and as you noted several "big names" teach there, including Craig, Moreland, Hazen, Habermas, and a personal fav, Greg Koukl. I'd say it'd be a good choice. I've never looked into APU's philosophy program so I don't know much about it or how it compares.

One thing to consider of course is what you'd do after you finished your degree; philosophy degrees are not known as being the most marketable in terms of future job opportunities, and will require further study at the masters or doctoral level to land a job teaching.

Upvote 0

Vigilante

Oct 19, 2006
In limbo
✟15,872.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm thinking of going back to school in a year or two, to do another masters at Biola (Philosophy of Religion & Ethics), more specifically Talbot.

Biola has a good reputation among Christian schools, and as you noted several "big names" teach there, including Craig, Moreland, Hazen, Habermas, and a personal fav, Greg Koukl. I'd say it'd be a good choice. I've never looked into APU's philosophy program so I don't know much about it or how it compares.

Koukl and Habermas teach there? No way! I love Stand to Reason. It's actually been my homepage for a couple of months now. And I was just looking at Habermas' book The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus on Amazon.com yesterday. From what I hear, he's supposed to be the world's foremest expert on the evidences of the resurrection. That's totally wild that they both teach there, man.

One thing to consider of course is what you'd do after you finished your degree; philosophy degrees are not known as being the most marketable in terms of future job opportunities, and will require further study at the masters or doctoral level to land a job teaching.
Yeah, that's the degree's Achilles Heel. =\

Thanks for your help and concern.

Upvote 0

emmzee

Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Koukl and Habermas teach there? No way! I love Stand to Reason. It's actually been my homepage for a couple of months now. And I was just looking at Habermas' book The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus on Amazon.com yesterday. From what I hear, he's supposed to be the world's foremest expert on the evidences of the resurrection. That's totally wild that they both teach there, man.

Yup, Koukl teaches there. Habermas does too, although his main school is Liberty University (the school founded by Jerry Falwell, now taken over by his son Jerry Jr). Here's the faculty list at Biola that teach in their MA Apologetics program, I'm not such which are active in other programs:
http://www.biola.edu/academics/scs/apologetics/faculty.cfm

Habermas teaches at a couple other schools including Southern Evangelical Seminary (SES, Norm Geisler's school) and Tyndale Seminary which happens to be my school here in Toronto ... I'm so excited to be able to take a week-long course on the resurrection that Habermas is teaching here Jun 11-15 :D Case for the Resurrection of Jesus is one of the texts for that class that I'm reading through right now. :) Should be good heh, Habermas is a busy guy I guess!
http://www.tyndale.ca/summer/viewcourse.php?id=92

Upvote 0

fuzzyh

Jun 26, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟8,456.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm attending SES. I've heard good things about Biola's MA in philosophy program. In fact, JP Moreland has on record that his motivation for the MA in Philosophy program was to train a lot of Christian philosophers to enter the PhD world as well as enter the community colleges and train Christians. There are three Christian Universities or Seminaries that have a MA in philosophy: Biola, SES and Denver. All are good schools.

Upvote 0