Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
How do Lutherans and the Reformed reconcile Romans and James? One says we are justified by faith, the other denies we are justified by faith alone.

I know I've read a few Lutherans have said that James is a lesser epistle (which I do not accept), but let's assume for a second that Paul and James carry equal weight in terms of authority in interpreting the Gospel message.

WirSindBettler

Hoc Est Verum
Feb 7, 2015
USA
✟1,347.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
From the Lutheran Study Bible:

"James did not believe that we earn the forgiveness of sins and grace by good works. After all, he is talking about the works of those who have been justified, who have already been reconciled and accepted, and who have received forgiveness of sins. Therefore, the adversaries err when they conclude that James teaches that we merit forgiveness of sins and grace by good works and that we have access to God by our works, apart from Christ as Reconciler" (p.2139).

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
How do Lutherans and the Reformed reconcile Romans and James? One says we are justified by faith, the other denies we are justified by faith alone.

I know I've read a few Lutherans have said that James is a lesser epistle (which I do not accept), but let's assume for a second that Paul and James carry equal weight in terms of authority in interpreting the Gospel message.

I would think Martin Luther should be the spokesman for "Lutheranism", who said of the epistle of James in his introduction to James,:
I do not regard it as the writing of an apostle, and my reasons follow.

In the first place itis flatly against St. Paul and all the rest of Scripture in ascribing justification to works 2:24). It says that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered his son Isaac (2:20); Though in Romans 4:22-22 St. Paul teaches to the contrary that Abraham was justified apart from works, by his faith alone, before he had offered his son, and proves it by Moses in Genesis 15:6. Although it would be possible to "save" the epistle by a gloss giving a correct explanation of justification here ascribed to works, it is impossible to deny that it does refer to Moses' words in Genesis 15 (which speaks not of Abraham's works but of his faith, just as Paul makes plain in Romans 4) to Abraham's works. This fault proves that this epistle is not the work of any apostle.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually ,Luther isn't the spokesperson for Lutheranism. As far as I can tell, Lutherans do not believe he was infallible and they might even say he did err on numerous occasions, even in theological statements. Unlike Calvin, Luther did not advance a systematic theology of the Christian faith. Sometimes the things he had to say even were contradictory with one another.

I believe it was Melancthon who tried to reconcile James and Paul. But I don't remember where I read that.

As I said, James and the other books that Luther may have at one time had reservations about, I fully accept as God's Word, equal in authority with Romans. They have just as important things to tell us about what it means to be a Christian as what Paul does.

Upvote 0

BrokenGhost

Gospel Centered
Jun 16, 2006
Maryville, TN
Visit site
✟17,095.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
James 2:14–26Faith without Works Is Dead. James continues the theme that hearing/faith must lead to doing/works. It may seem that James contradicts Paul’s “by grace you have been saved through faith . . . not a result of works” (Eph. 2:8–9). In reality there is no contradiction between faith and works. Paul and James agree that the basis of salvation is grace alone through faith. Works are not the basisof salvation but the necessary result(Eph. 2:10).

From the ESV Student Bible

Reactions: JesusFreak78
Upvote 0