Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The costs for food stamps is NOT in the $$ spend for food, it's in all the overhead and administrative costs of administering the program. I used to work at another State Agency next door to em in Alabama.

IF it were up to me The Food Stamp office would be the size of a McDonalds with several Drive through lanes. You'd need proof of residency (a lease, bill of sale and a Power bill) and a social security number. You would be granted $300 per month on an EBT card good for one year and a $100 voucher for any service of a licensed medical provider good for 6 months. You could reup the process for another 6 months by repeating the process. Upon the 3rd extension you would be given a community service card that would reqiure you to have performed 3 hrs of community service work prior to each months activation. (A List of of vendors would be provided)

Lifetime renewals would be given to those age 50 or over or those on SSI or SSDI benefit programs with no work requirement. Otherwis # in household, income etc would not matter. If Donald Trump wanted the $300 card he could come get it. I would feed all residency info into a computer program and IF duplication of address, idenity theft etc were found an investigation would be conducted and if fraud were detected the reciepent would loose all govt entitlements for a period of no less than 2 years at which time they may re-apply.

All you need is a few clerical staff to do data entry and accounts payable(who could work the night/weekend shifts doing data entry) A couple of file clerks (same deal) and a a few supervisors who double as investigators then have a centralized IT dept who travel as necessary for hardware installations, repairs etc. Groundskeeping, housekeeping and other services could be provided by those needing the community service hours.

Will $300 feed a family of 4-6 for a month? Not well but you can eat. IF you have children WIC should be helping, School lunches and breakfasts are aviailable in most areas. Most areas have church suppers on Wednesdays or at least 1 day per month. Oatmeal, Rice, fruit and dried beans, a jar of PN butter and soup & crackers can go along way ..especially if supplemented with a few tomato or squash plants which can be grown in 5 gallon buckets if need be. A little hamburger meat some spagatti-Tuna salad, it doesn't sound to bad to me.

the point is we could feed everbody and REDUCE the cost of the program and let these overpaid administrators work in some other capacity. It does not take a college degree to play bingo at the senior center and It does not require a Masters degree to work at CFS or DHR..or to run the place. (That's where the money goes ...Consultants and staff and paid holidays and insurance for all of em)

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Why isn't their first reaction to sell of luxuries and non necessities before expecting the rest of the working population to provide them food stamps so they can keep their several hundred dollar purses and designer clothing and such?

Countless Americans are living on the edge, working hard, paying their taxes, yet it's getting harder and harder in this economy and a big part of the problem is the run away entitlements and crushing government and debt. There are millions of working tax paying citizens (paying for those food stamps) that may never be able to afford one of those purses or to even travel to a Lord and Taylor store (let alone buy anything there), yet how DARE THEY expect someone to sacrifice a designer purse or outfit?

Sorry I don't understand that way of thinking.

You may want to look into your envy issues.

Upvote 0
I

IAmCatwoman

Most people who criticize food stamps have no idea what they do - they find the rare case of fraud, and claim that's all it is.

I'll use myself as an example. I get food stamps. They support me and my roommate who is disable, and can hardly afford rent and bills with the check she gets (her disability means her job choice is limited, what jobs she can find she's not given equal treatment because she's disabled and a part time student, and has periods where she's in and out of the hospital) let alone food. I personally work three part-time jobs (four if you count babysitting I do on weekends), and that pays for my rent, bills, car insurance, gas, and little else. I'm able to pull in maybe $50 extra and that goes into my savings, because I learned early that having a little extra security can save you in the long run.

Plus at least twice a year I have to pay for school supplies - don't even get me started on textbooks. If I didn't get food stamps, I wouldn't be able to go to school. That may not seem like anything, but think of the consequences.

I don't go to school, my potential income is automatically cut in half. I would most likely be in the lowest income bracket, meaning I would pay significantly less in taxes, or worse, in the future, I may have to receive unemployment or further benefits. It would end up costing the state and the feds FAR more money, whereas right at this moment, with just food stamps, that is keeping me on a track to eventually have a degree that can get me a well paying job where I pay taxes - in one or two years, I could pay every penny I received in stamps back, just through taxes. Let alone the additional revenue the state gets for years after.

The issue with food stamps is far more complex that "people get it". Whatsmore, why do you think it is Obama's fault? The economy and programs aren't so simple that you can point to one person and go "IT'S YOUR FAULT!" Notice we only ever hear this about food stamps. Could it be that more people are on food stamps because they have found a way to support themselves at least enough that they don't need welfare? Or unemployment? Or SSI? As well, food stamps are state programs. Maybe it's because a number of states loosened their restrictions on food stamps?

The point is, you can't crucify an entire program and an entire sect of people for what you THINK is the case, when you have no idea.

And no, I don't buy fifty dollar steaks with my stamps. 80% of my purchases are beans and pasta. The other 20% is meat - mostly chicken and turkey meatballs - and to-go meals, so I can save money by not eating out as often.

Reactions: Gxg (G²)
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Most people who criticize food stamps have no idea what they do - they find the rare case of fraud, and claim that's all it is.

I'll use myself as an example. I get food stamps. They support me and my roommate who is disable, and can hardly afford rent and bills with the check she gets (her disability means her job choice is limited, what jobs she can find she's not given equal treatment because she's disabled and a part time student, and has periods where she's in and out of the hospital) let alone food. I personally work three part-time jobs (four if you count babysitting I do on weekends), and that pays for my rent, bills, car insurance, gas, and little else. I'm able to pull in maybe $50 extra and that goes into my savings, because I learned early that having a little extra security can save you in the long run.

Plus at least twice a year I have to pay for school supplies - don't even get me started on textbooks. If I didn't get food stamps, I wouldn't be able to go to school. That may not seem like anything, but think of the consequences.

I don't go to school, my potential income is automatically cut in half. I would most likely be in the lowest income bracket, meaning I would pay significantly less in taxes, or worse, in the future, I may have to receive unemployment or further benefits. It would end up costing the state and the feds FAR more money, whereas right at this moment, with just food stamps, that is keeping me on a track to eventually have a degree that can get me a well paying job where I pay taxes - in one or two years, I could pay every penny I received in stamps back, just through taxes. Let alone the additional revenue the state gets for years after.

The issue with food stamps is far more complex that "people get it". Whatsmore, why do you think it is Obama's fault? The economy and programs aren't so simple that you can point to one person and go "IT'S YOUR FAULT!" Notice we only ever hear this about food stamps. Could it be that more people are on food stamps because they have found a way to support themselves at least enough that they don't need welfare? Or unemployment? Or SSI? As well, food stamps are state programs. Maybe it's because a number of states loosened their restrictions on food stamps?

The point is, you can't crucify an entire program and an entire sect of people for what you THINK is the case, when you have no idea.

And no, I don't buy fifty dollar steaks with my stamps. 80% of my purchases are beans and pasta. The other 20% is meat - mostly chicken and turkey meatballs - and to-go meals, so I can save money by not eating out as often.

Preach..

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why isn't their first reaction to sell of luxuries and non necessities before expecting the rest of the working population to provide them food stamps so they can keep their several hundred dollar purses and designer clothing and such?

Well, let's see...for starters, most designer purses and clothing don't go for much on the resale end of things. You would be lucky if you could consign them and make an eighth of what you paid for them brand new. Second, most people on food assistance don't own a ton of designer clothing and purses. Third, what happens when those few hundred dollars run out? You have to eat every day. You can't just liquidate everything and live on that forever.

Countless Americans are living on the edge, working hard, paying their taxes, yet it's getting harder and harder in this economy and a big part of the problem is the run away entitlements and crushing government and debt. There are millions of working tax paying citizens (paying for those food stamps) that may never be able to afford one of those purses or to even travel to a Lord and Taylor store (let alone buy anything there), yet how DARE THEY expect someone to sacrifice a designer purse or outfit?

Gee whiz. You act as if nobody on government assistance has ever worked an honest day's work in their lives. My dad worked daily - sick, tired, body hurting from pulled muscles, holidays, weekends - from the time he was seventeen until he lost his job at fifty-one. In fact, in order to qualify for SNAP benefits, you have to prove you are trying to obtain work, or already work, but don't make enough income to provide food for your family. You can't just laze around with no accountability and receive SNAP benefits.

And, for the record, my dad isn't some magical exception to the rule. Everyone I know who receives benefits works or worked for many years and lost their job and still can't afford Lord & Taylor clothing.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Getting more jobs is wonderful. Go about creating them. Don't cut people off from food if they need it though. The idea that you just cut food stamps and jobs start magically appearing is a pipe dream. .

President Obama actually supported Bush in the actions he sought to implement when it came to faith-based organizations/volunteer-based programs as ways to help others through hard times:

Upvote 0