Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The purpose of this thread is narrow. It is intended to look at one verse in the debate over alcohol. This is not a general thread on the use of alcohol, but looking at one specific verse. You can reference other verses in your answer, but please give your take on this verse.

Pro 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pro 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

The Scriptures have a lot to say about drinking. Without a doubt Proverbs 20:1 is one of the more direct verses on the dangers of drinking.

One of the realities of drinking intoxicating substances is that they can be deceptive. Not everyone who gets drunk set out with that goal in mind.

The proverbs were written to give advice about life to those willing to learn wisdom. One piece of wisdom that many need today is the dangers of alcohol if abused.

Becoming drunk leads to poor decisions. In the modern setting this is even more problematic with vehicles, etc. leading to thousands of deaths each year.

While it is my position that the Scriptures do not forbid all drinking of alcohol, we nonetheless need to take seriously the warnings about the deceptive nature of alcohol.

Feel free to give your take.

As background, I have mentioned before but I do not drink at all, and do not recommend drinking. However, the Scripture warn against drunkenness not all drinking.

Reactions: mikenold
Upvote 0