Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,309.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Even if it ain't over till it's over, it seems probable that Obama will win and that Democrats will increase their majorities in Congress.

And, since I live in a very red state, am unable to affect any results anywhere they might count (even if I wanted to.)

One of the lessons that can be learned, perhaps, is that pro-lifers have to find more electable candidates if they want them to be elected.

But the other lesson that needs to be learned is that you have to go about ending abortion the right way, the only way, by separating it from all the other issues that will probably cause McCain to lose next Tuesday.

If you went in to the Humane Society and they said, "You can adopt this cute little puppy but you have to bring home ten snakes and five scorpions, too," how many people would bring it home?

But separate the cute little puppy from the snakes and scorpions, and almost everyone would bring it home.

Starting next Wednesday, let's separate the cute little puppy from the snakes and scorpions, and see what happens.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even if it ain't over till it's over, it seems probable that Obama will win and that Democrats will increase their majorities in Congress.

And, since I live in a very red state, am unable to affect any results anywhere they might count (even if I wanted to.)

One of the lessons that can be learned, perhaps, is that pro-lifers have to find more electable candidates if they want them to be elected.

But the other lesson that needs to be learned is that you have to go about ending abortion the right way, the only way, by separating it from all the other issues that will probably cause McCain to lose next Tuesday.

If you went in to the Humane Society and they said, "You can adopt this cute little puppy but you have to bring home ten snakes and five scorpions, too," how many people would bring it home?

But separate the cute little puppy from the snakes and scorpions, and almost everyone would bring it home.

Starting next Wednesday, let's separate the cute little puppy from the snakes and scorpions, and see what happens.

If that happens will there be any chance for a Human Life Amendment then?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,309.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, but I think it will happen anyway. And so you have to plan for 2010, when Congressional seats will be up, and 2012, when the Presidency will be up for grabs.

Maybe you could push someone like Huckabee, who is building his fan base by hosting a Fox News Show (maybe you've seen it, he's the only one on the station who is pleasant and genial all the time.) He had a good record as governor, more compassionate and moderate than most Republicans. Once he's been in everyone's living rooms for four years, he will be pretty popular.

Get them to pass the Amendment, and then it's up to the states. And then, when they have outlived their usefulness, you can throw the worst of them out of Congress.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Get them to pass the Amendment, and then it's up to the states. And then, when they have outlived their usefulness, you can throw the worst of them out of Congress.

That seems to me to very short sighted. By then we'll have federal judges appointed for life by someone who hates life and has promised to sign the FOCA as soon as he gets in. Seems to me that we should first try to keep that from happening and then we will be able to push for a PHLA and change hearts through education. As we have seen, the more inroads the holocaust of abortion makes, the more difficult it becomes to save the innocent babies and their mothers. The horror has simply increased since 1973. In a few years it will be too late to do much other than watch babies being torn apart piece by piece while their mother's are destroyed. We will be effectively silenced and then ridiculed.

Perhaps we should decide which side we are on--the innocent babies' and their mothers' or the pro-death candidate's. (Gee, that's just about what our heroic Bishop's have been saying--no they have been pleading and begging on behalf of the innocents.) We can start to make a difference now.

Upvote 0

Hooksta

Oct 17, 2008
✟7,955.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That seems to me to very short sighted. By then we'll have federal judges appointed for life by someone who hates life and has promised to sign the FOCA as soon as he gets in. Seems to me that we should first try to keep that from happening and then we will be able to push for a PHLA and change hearts through education. As we have seen, the more inroads the holocaust of abortion makes, the more difficult it becomes to save the innocent babies and their mothers. The horror has simply increased since 1973. In a few years it will be too late to do much other than watch babies being torn apart piece by piece while their mother's are destroyed. We will be effectively silenced and then ridiculed.

Perhaps we should decide which side we are on--the innocent babies' and their mothers' or the pro-death candidate's. (Gee, that's just about what our heroic Bishop's have been saying--no they have been pleading and begging on behalf of the innocents.) We can start to make a difference now.

If you are saying that abortion rates are higher now that would not be true. The National Right to Life indicate that current rates are nearing the lowest of all time. The most recent numbers reported below show the peak was in 1990 and numbers today are as low as they were in 1975. The only two years abortion rates were lower is 1973 and 1974. The irony is the numbers were the highest under Reagan and Bush Sr.

http://www.nrlc.org/ABORTION/facts/abortionstats.html

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FOCA is one of the concerning issues for me, in this election.

I like Barrack Obama, all except for his position on this issue.

What FOCA does, if my current understanding is correct, is that it will eliminate all restrictions on abortion, even partial birth abortion.

If you look who wrote the FOCA bill, Hillary Clinton, Barbara Boxer, etc, these are not pro-choice people, they are pro-abortion. In fact, they force abortion onto third world countries, with the threat of withholding humanitarian aid to them.

Barrack Obama is one of the co-sponsors of the bill, and this has me stopped in my tracts, when it comes to voting for him.

However, I can not vote for John McCain, whom I have many other issues with.

Still in discernment mode.

Jim

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Still in discernment mode.

Then think about the helpless babies if Senator Obama is allowed to sign that FOCA. (BTW if we allow Obama to be able to sign FOCA, as he promised, it will even be more harmful to innocent babies and their poor mothers for years--long after Obama eventually leaves office--and it will also harm your rights so perhaps all of us should consider the lesser of evils--as I believe our heroic Bishops have loudly spoken about.)

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
AMDG

Then think about the helpless babies if Senator Obama is allowed to sign that FOCA.

If that is what FOCA in fact does. So far, in my reading of the bill, its not that clear.

Also, this bill is already groing through congress. It could be it won't make it to the next president's desk.

(BTW if we allow Obama to be able to sign FOCA, as he promised, it will even be more harmful to innocent babies and their poor mothers for years--long after Obama eventually leaves office--and it will also harm your rights so perhaps all of us should consider the lesser of evils--as I believe our heroic Bishops have loudly spoken about.)
[/quote]

Well I'm not so sure this is the case. However, I have no confidence in John McCain, when it comes to pro-life issues. I would post his own statement, where he does not want Roe V Wade over turned, but my level of membership here, doesn't allow me to.

Also, John McCain is reckless on war and his use of words when he speaks. He stated that if elected, "I will be Hamas's worst nightmare."

This is inflammatory language which no president should be using. We've seen the damage Bush's reckless use of language has done.

Also, John McCain is intellectually disconnected with the issues around the world. He sees things through the military prism, which is scary in itself.

Anyway, I'm from Massachusetts and one thing I'm certain on, there is no way John McCain will win here. I could vote for the Man in the Moon, and Obama will still win this state.

Jim

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have no confidence in John McCain, when it comes to pro-life issues. I would post his own statement, where he does not want Roe V Wade over turned, but my level of membership here, doesn't allow me to.

In the moral opinions of our heroic Bishops, it seems that he's the lesser of the evils, and that's very important in this election.

Also, John McCain is reckless on war and his use of words when he speaks. He stated that if elected, "I will be Hamas's worst nightmare."

This is inflammatory language which no president should be using. We've seen the damage Bush's reckless use of language has done.

Actions speak louder than words. But since this is not in the political forum, I'll just say that we'll need to agree to disagree.

Also, John McCain is intellectually disconnected with the issues around the world. He sees things through the military prism, which is scary in itself.

Again, since this is not the political forum, we'll just need to agree to disagree.

Anyway, I'm from Massachusetts and one thing I'm certain on, there is no way John McCain will win here. I could vote for the Man in the Moon, and Obama will still win this state.

I may not not be in Massachusetts, but the state that I live in is unbelievably pro-death and historically votes Democrat, so I don't believe anything will be different this election. But (and it's a big one) there is one thing my vote for other side means--when I die, and Jesus asks me what I did to try to help the unborn, I won't have to squirm under His question.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, but I think it will happen anyway. And so you have to plan for 2010, when Congressional seats will be up, and 2012, when the Presidency will be up for grabs.

Maybe you could push someone like Huckabee, who is building his fan base by hosting a Fox News Show (maybe you've seen it, he's the only one on the station who is pleasant and genial all the time.) He had a good record as governor, more compassionate and moderate than most Republicans. Once he's been in everyone's living rooms for four years, he will be pretty popular.

Did we really need Hitler to know how bad facism was?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.