Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is only one self consistent model that explains all of these observations and that is the present cosmology of our solar system. This does not explain why these objects behave as they do, it only provides a very refined model that accounts for all the observed effects.
There are a number of inconsistencies with all models, in particular the heliocentric model, which is the reason for many thinking and bible believing people abandoning the theory of heliocentricity of late. Have a read of the earlier posts, and see, for some examples.

Its easy to dream up excuses for why the real world doesn't behave as the model predicts it to (heliocentrists are masters at this). The hard part is demonstrating evidence for the excuses, which largely doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

Wunderlust

Sep 19, 2016
America
✟17,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The flat earth has no accurate map, and there are many more problems with the flat earth model which renders it impossible.
What i'm wondering about though is why NASA leaves so much room for doubt.
Also i don't understand what to do with the Biblical model, which is consistent throughout Scripture.

I am not sure why you think "NASA leaves so much room for doubt."

NASA does not bother with silly nonsense that was proved centuries ago to be wrong. When Europe created ships that could sail regardless of the direction of wind, they went westward.

Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

Wunderlust

Sep 19, 2016
America
✟17,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wonder how people who believe that scientists, engineers, and everyone else on the planet is all part of a massive conspiracy think satellite TV works.

Do they think it is magic? Do they accept that governments and companies send objects into space, which rotates around? Objects which are free to take photographs, as they have?

Satellites rely on the most sophisticated technology and calculations. Due to relativity, satellites actually travel very slightly faster in time than objects on Earth, which has to be accounted for in receiving and transmitting data.

I cannot believe people can get to the point to believe that everyone is in one a massive conspiracy theory. That must make for a real weird life.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I feel sorry that someone can watch that and not have the education and critical thinking skills to realize how silly that is.
You know what? I really suspect that MOST of the "Flatter Earthers" in here are just pulling our legs.

Upvote 0

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I cannot believe people can get to the point to believe that everyone is in one a massive conspiracy theory. That must make for a real weird life.
There are a number of lies into which most people are indoctrinated. They do not need to be "in on the conspiracy", to believe or spread the lies. Evolution is probably the most familiar example of a lie which is treated as truth by most people.

The fact that Earth is flat is simply another truth that most will not accept, because they are afraid to go against the crowd. Christians believe we are engaged in a spiritual war, and the leader of the enemy is also the "father of lies". Do you think him incapable of spinning deceptions that most are deceived by?

• Agree
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Jadis40

Sep 19, 2004
Indiana, USA
✟47,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are a number of lies into which most people are indoctrinated. They do not need to be "in on the conspiracy", to believe or spread the lies. Evolution is probably the most familiar example of a lie which is treated as truth by most people.

The fact that Earth is flat is simply another truth that most will not accept, because they are afraid to go against the crowd. Christians believe we are engaged in a spiritual war, and the leader of the enemy is also the "father of lies". Do you think him incapable of spinning deceptions that most are deceived by?

Wrong. The fact that the earth is a spherical globe and not flat which orbits the sun once every 365 days and rotates on its axis once every 24 hours is a truth that some seem unwilling to accept. Mainly those who have bought into conspiracy theorist nonsense, including the nonsensical claim that the moon produces its own light. There's no spiritual warfare involved. It's just fantasy and fairy tales (flat earth) vs. reality (spherical earth and heliocentrism).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong. The fact that the earth is a spherical globe and not flat which orbits the sun once every 365 days and rotates on its axis once every 24 hours is a truth that some seem unwilling to accept. Mainly those who have bought into conspiracy theorist nonsense, including the nonsensical claim that the moon produces its own light. There's no spiritual warfare involved. It's just fantasy and fairy tales (flat earth) vs. reality (spherical earth and heliocentrism).
Can you prove any of what you have said, either from scripture, or using science? If the answer is no, you're not really thinking, but just reciting the fables disguised as science that you have been taught in school.

It could just as easily be argued the Earth is flat, the sun spirals around it once every 24 hours, and approximately every 365.25 days, a complete circuit is made by the sun (close to North, further from the North, and back closer to the North again).

If the Earth is moving, why do scientific tests designed to detect this movement fail to detect any (look up the Michelson Morley experiment), and why can't we feel it (acceleration can be felt by man at less than 5mm per second)? If it is Earth moving, rather than the stars, why did the "Airy's failure" experiment and similar ones demonstrate the opposite?

Scripture does not require a moving Earth, and neither does real science.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Two words: Foucault pendulum.
If it works, it proves no more that the Earth orbits the sun, than it proves that the Heavens rotate about the Earth. I hold the Foucault pendulum to be as rubbish science as holding that lavatories flush in opposite directions in the North as compared to the South.

Science requires an experiment to be testable and repeatable. The Foucault pendulum fails on repeatability grounds - its results are inconsistent, unless they are rigged.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If it works, it proves no more that the Earth orbits the sun, than it proves that the Heavens rotate about the Earth.
It proves the earth is spinning.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
How does it not rather prove the Earth is still, and the Heavens are spinning?
Because it doesn't. Read up on it. If the earth were still and the heavens were spinning, it simply wouldn't respond.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because it doesn't. Read up on it. If the earth were still and the heavens were spinning, it simply wouldn't respond.
This is incorrect. The Foucault pendulum no more proves the Earth is spinning, than it proves the Heavens are spinning. Even if the experiment were reliable (which it is not), it demonstrates relative motion. It cannot demonstrate that it is the pivot which is stationary (or moving) with the Earth, or the pendulum bob (pupportedly disconnected somehow from the Earth) which is moving (or stationary) with the Heavens.

Airy's experiment, on the other hand, can differentiate between whether it is the stars moving, or the Earth. And the results clearly show it is the stars moving, and the Earth stationary. Read up on it.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
This is incorrect. The Foucault pendulum no more proves the Earth is spinning, than it proves the Heavens are spinning. Even if the experiment were reliable (which it is not), it demonstrates relative motion. It cannot demonstrate that it is the pivot which is stationary (or moving) with the Earth, or the pendulum bob (pupportedly disconnected somehow from the Earth) which is moving (or stationary) with the Heavens.

Airy's experiment, on the other hand, can differentiate between whether it is the stars moving, or the Earth. And the results clearly show it is the stars moving, and the Earth stationary. Read up on it.
You are quite mistaken. Focaults pendulum works ONLY if the earth rotates; NOT if the sky rotates. You read more about that here: http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/09/17/but-it-moves-how-we-know-the-e/

As to Airy's experiment, there are always aberrations. If experiments consistantly showed that it is the stars moving, scientists would embrace the idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are quite mistaken. Focaults pendulum works ONLY if the earth rotates; NOT if the sky rotates. You read more about that here: http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/09/17/but-it-moves-how-we-know-the-e/
Whether or not you or the article accept it, Focault's pendulum cannot differentiate between whether it is the Earth that is still, or the Heavens. All it can provide evidence for, if its results are consistent (which they are not, calling into doubt the entire basis of the experiment), is that one moves relative to the other.

As to Airy's experiment, there are always aberrations. If experiments consistantly showed that it is the stars moving, scientists would embrace the idea.

Okay. So for the experiment that simply demonstrates that Earth moves relative to the Heavens, you claim it proves the Earth moves, but will not accept the contrary. But for the experiment that clearly proves that it is the stars moving and the Earth remaining still, you claim aberrations.

With this being only one of many such examples, I'm sure you and our readers can see why so many are coming to realise the theory of heliocentricity is full of holes, with only excuses to cover why reality does not match what is predicted by the theory.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible favours a flat earth,

The earth is a compass…
As for his rounde compale (compass) of his worlde / I make it joyful:

A lot of your references are poetical, hyperbolic and metaphorical in nature. So this is not a defense of a flat earth.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Whether or not you or the article accept it, Focault's pendulum cannot differentiate between whether it is the Earth that is still, or the Heavens.
The article I gave you explained WHY Focault's Pendulum can only determine that the earth rotates, and not the sky. I suppose this is simply a case of "Don't confuse me with the facts -- my mind is made up!"

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The article I gave you explained WHY Focault's Pendulum can only determine that the earth rotates, and not the sky. I suppose this is simply a case of "Don't confuse me with the facts -- my mind is made up!"
Not at all. Simply a case of neither the article nor you providing evidence of such a claim. Beliefs are not facts, religion is not science, make-believe is not truth.

Upvote 0