Fisherman catches 'living fossil'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
LOL,yep,the "missing link" has always posed a problem for those who spout the evolution theory.^_^ ^_^
I value your input and debates in most threads. I often agree with you too. This one, I disagree with you in.

I believe evolution is quite plausible, and is not in conflict with the Christian faith.
I used to be a creationist in that I believed in a seven day creation (if you include the resting day). But I consider the evidence in favor of a less literal interpretation stronger. As the bible clearly states, a day for the Lord is as a thousand years for us, and a thousand years for the Lord is like a day for us. He is outside time. Why would he limit himself to our time during the creation of the world?

We estimate that the universe is roughly 13.7 billion years old. Give or take a couple of hundred million years. If it had been only 5 000 years old as many creationists claim, our night sky would be practically black because the light from most stars would not have reached us. Telescopes would not have caught the marvels we see today. We'd only see a small portion of our own galaxy, which is about 80,000 to 100,000 light-years in diameter. And from our observations we know that the universe has been evolving a lot since it's birth, ~13.7 billion years ago.
A literal interpretation would require the earth to be older than the stars. And we know this is not the case.
We also know the earth is older than 5000 years- we see fossils of dinosaurs and animals long gone now. Fossilization does not occur overnight. If the world were so young, how come we have oil. Fossilized creatures in abundance. Coral reefs which take ages to grow.

I do think the evidence presented is strong enough to convince me of it being true. It is, I think, likely.
I encourage you to watch this video, and see for yourself - is the difference between what we'd consider a stone-age person and this ape all that different?
Jane Goodall on what separates os from the apes - TED Talks

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I value your input and debates in most threads. I often agree with you too. This one, I disagree with you in.

I believe evolution is quite plausible, and is not in conflict with the Christian faith.
I used to be a creationist in that I believed in a seven day creation (if you include the resting day). But I consider the evidence in favor of a less literal interpretation stronger. As the bible clearly states, a day for the Lord is as a thousand years for us, and a thousand years for the Lord is like a day for us. He is outside time. Why would he limit himself to our time during the creation of the world?

We estimate that the universe is roughly 13.7 billion years old. Give or take a couple of hundred million years. If it had been only 5 000 years old as many creationists claim, our night sky would be practically black because the light from most stars would not have reached us. Telescopes would not have caught the marvels we see today. We'd only see a small portion of our own galaxy, which is about 80,000 to 100,000 light-years in diameter. And from our observations we know that the universe has been evolving a lot since it's birth, ~13.7 billion years ago.
A literal interpretation would require the earth to be older than the stars. And we know this is not the case.
We also know the earth is older than 5000 years- we see fossils of dinosaurs and animals long gone now. Fossilization does not occur overnight. If the world were so young, how come we have oil. Fossilized creatures in abundance. Coral reefs which take ages to grow.

I do think the evidence presented is strong enough to convince me of it being true. It is, I think, likely.
I encourage you to watch this video, and see for yourself - is the difference between what we'd consider a stone-age person and this ape all that different?
Jane Goodall on what separates os from the apes - TED Talks

I'm not sure what to believe as far as the age of the earth,but I do know that I believe with all my heart and soul that God created man.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL,yep,the "missing link" has always posed a problem for those who spout the evolution theory.^_^ ^_^
You realize that what the poster you quoted was saying is nonsense, right? Evolution doesn't require any of that stuff. He doesn't know what he's talking about and unfortunately you're just tagging along.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what to believe as far as the age of the earth,but I do know that I believe with all my heart and soul that God created man.
Oh so do I. 100%
I just think he did it more gradually than a direct interpretation of Genesis 1 would dictate.
I don't see evolution as anti- Christian. Sure, there are people who would use it that way. There are people who would use anything to defame Christianity. But that does not make them right, nor does it mean they are using valid arguments.

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So do I. But there is no way getting around the mountain of fossil, genetic, and other biological evidence that tells us that we share common ancestory with chimpanzees.
When we study Nature, she tells us how she works. Sometimes it helps to listen. I believe that it gives us insight into the nature of God.

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
#1: Humans are not descended from monkeys we are descended from ancient apes which were as different from modern apes as we are.
#2: While we have no living examples of the transition we know about two dozen fossil species that are.
#3: Coelicanths never walked on land, however the animals that did were likely descended from its ancestors.
Whatever rocks your world. But if you think you came from apes, then you probably did. But I know where I came from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Years ago one of the high IQ societies (I forget which) used to have something similar to your comment as a litmus test question for entrance. The gist of this was that if you considered it plausible that chimeric forms were an expectation of evolution then you failed the entrance i.e. you were considered too dumb to join.
Interesting. As a Christian, I came to believe what God tells me. He said He made me. However, for some reasons, other "christians" refuse to believe what God tells them in the scripture and believe what they want. How do you rectify that? Either God is a liar or He's the truth. Which is it?

BTW, I rather be dumb and in Heaven than incredibly smart and in hell.

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
except that there is no "missing link". maybe you should first actually learn what evolution is
After you done finding the "missing" link for human, you better go find thousands upon thousands of missing links of the other species, o.k.? Good luck.

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I believe God created man, too.

I just believe it happened via evolution.
Then, are you saying that God had a conversation to a non-language speaking / little intelligent ape called, Adam, in the garden of Eden when God asked him to take care of the garden among other things?

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You realize that what the poster you quoted was saying is nonsense, right? Evolution doesn't require any of that stuff. He doesn't know what he's talking about and unfortunately you're just tagging along.
Yeah, I don't know what I am talking about. I guess I am in the same group as other non-evolution believing scientists/doctors/etc. out there. But wait, how can they be scientists/doctors/etc. but not believe in evolution? That's right, they don't know what they are talking about, either.

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interesting. As a Christian, I came to believe what God tells me. He said He made me. However, for some reasons, other "christians" refuse to believe what God tells them in the scripture and believe what they want. How do you rectify that? Either God is a liar or He's the truth. Which is it? .

Stop taking OT Scripture literally - my wife is Jewish and she tells us Christians to leave the interpretation of their books to them since it is obvious many Christians haven't a clue what they are doing with Genesis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some Americans have always believed Euros to be less developed or advanced.
Okay, let's not go there. No more jokes today.

The irony being of course that the immigrants to the US were primarily those who couldn't hack it in Europe.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So do I. But there is no way getting around the mountain of fossil, genetic, and other biological evidence that tells us that we share common ancestory with chimpanzees.
When we study Nature, she tells us how she works. Sometimes it helps to listen. I believe that it gives us insight into the nature of God.

I've always thought it takes a much more astounding leap of faith to believe humans evolved from apes than to believe in intelligent design by a Supreme being/creator. :eek:

Upvote 0
T

Tenka

I've always thought it takes a much more astounding leap of faith to believe humans evolved from apes than to believe in intelligent design by a Supreme being/creator.
The thousands of children infected with guinea worm is as far as one needs to look to demolish the intelligent, benevolent creator idea.
The harsh reality of the world is the expected product of an amoral process like evolution.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Then, are you saying that God had a conversation to a non-language speaking / little intelligent ape called, Adam, in the garden of Eden when God asked him to take care of the garden among other things?
Nah, I'm sure Adam was human. Assuming Adam actually existed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.