FlyingTurtle

Aug 6, 2015
The sky
✟7,791.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi. Since you're pentecostal and stuff I'm sure you know about Spirit baptism. The way I always saw it, there are 3 baptisms... baptism into the body of Christ (salvation), water baptism, and Spirit baptism. But my dad told me that there is also a fire baptism which John the Baptist also talked about briefly. It's like Spirit baptism. For my dad, he was in Holland when he experienced it. He was in a congregation worshipping in the Spirit when he had an out of body experience. And the presence of God was so strong that it immediately burned up everything in his life that wasn't of God, hence fire baptism because the exposure of God's Spirit was enough to purify his spirit just like one burns impurities out of metals. This happened long after he had already received Spirit baptism. According to my dad, fire baptism is a baptism that comes after Spirit baptism and it purifies our spirits of anything that isn't godly so that God can use us more effectively.

My question is, as John the Baptist said that Christ will baptize us in the Spirit and in fire, what is your opinion on what my dad called his fire baptism?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually there are 7 different baptisms mentioned in the NT:

John's baptism
Christian baptism
Baptism in/of/with/by the Holy Spirit
Baptism of fire
Baptism of suffering
Baptism into the body
Baptism for the dead

As to the baptism of fire, what your dad experienced may be exactly that.

From the song:

Holy Ghost Fire let your fire fall on me
Burn away every thing in me
Every thing that's not from thee
Holy Ghost Fire let your fire fall on me.

Upvote 0

madera23

May 14, 2014
✟634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Hi. Since you're pentecostal and stuff I'm sure you know about Spirit baptism. The way I always saw it, there are 3 baptisms... baptism into the body of Christ (salvation), water baptism, and Spirit baptism. But my dad told me that there is also a fire baptism which John the Baptist also talked about briefly. It's like Spirit baptism. For my dad, he was in Holland when he experienced it. He was in a congregation worshipping in the Spirit when he had an out of body experience. And the presence of God was so strong that it immediately burned up everything in his life that wasn't of God, hence fire baptism because the exposure of God's Spirit was enough to purify his spirit just like one burns impurities out of metals. This happened long after he had already received Spirit baptism. According to my dad, fire baptism is a baptism that comes after Spirit baptism and it purifies our spirits of anything that isn't godly so that God can use us more effectively.

My question is, as John the Baptist said that Christ will baptize us in the Spirit and in fire, what is your opinion on what my dad called his fire baptism?

When the Holy Spirit baptizes you it is done without our knowledge.
You just become aware of a change in you, be it no more resentment, no more anger, the mind is calm and you receive insights and revelations.
Then you know it worked.
Call it anything you wish, The Holy Spirit could care less.
Madera

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When the Holy Spirit baptizes you it is done without our knowledge.
You just become aware of a change in you, be it no more resentment, no more anger, the mind is calm and you receive insights and revelations.
Then you know it worked.
That is the description of the indwelling Holy Spirit and does not fit the biblical examples of being baptized in the Spirit. (Signs wonders, supernatural gifts)

But this thread is about the Baptism of Fire; not Baptism in the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That is the description of the indwelling Holy Spirit and does not fit the biblical examples of being baptized in the Spirit. (Signs wonders, supernatural gifts)

But this thread is about the Baptism of Fire; not Baptism in the Holy Spirit.
I agree that the baptism in the Holy Spirit is a definite,powerful experience separate from and subsequent to conversion. Peter said,'Repent and let everyone of you be baptised... and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and your children and to all who are afar off,as many as the Lord our God shall call' (Acts 2:38-39) In my testimony I said that I repented of my sin and was baptised in water and went on to be baptised in the Holy Spirit and fire. I believe this is the experience that John the Baptist refered to when he 'answered them all,I baptise you with water but one more powerful than I will come,the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He (Jesus) will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and with fire' (Luke 3:16) God bless you!

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Actually there are 7 different baptisms mentioned in the NT:

John's baptism
Christian baptism
Baptism in/of/with/by the Holy Spirit
Baptism of fire
Baptism of suffering
Baptism into the body
Baptism for the dead

As to the baptism of fire, what your dad experienced may be exactly that.

From the song:

Burn away every thing in me
Every thing that's not from thee
Holy Ghost Fire let your fire fall on me.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
From Craig Keener:

One modern denomination in the U.S. is the “Fire-Baptized Holiness Church”; many other Christians also happily claim to be “baptized in the Holy Ghost and fire.” We know and appreciate, of course, what they mean; they mean holiness, and holiness is essential. But is that what John the Baptist means by “fire baptism” in this passage? Fire is sometimes used as a symbol of God’s consuming holiness or of purifying trials in the Bible; but when fire is conjoined with the image of baptism in the New Testament, it has to do not with mere purification of the individual, but with purifying the whole world by judgment. (Judgment is the most common symbolic application fire in the Bible.) Rather than cross-referencing to other passages that use the image of fire in different ways, we ought to examine what the “baptized in fire” text means in its own context. We ought to use the passage itself before jumping to a concordance.

Continued here: http://www.craigkeener.com/tag/baptized-with-the-fire/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think fire under or over the heart in religious paintings means abundance of energy in the belly. I think fire in the belly is somewhere in the bible

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I agree that the baptism in the Holy Spirit is a definite,powerful experience separate from and subsequent to conversion. Peter said,'Repent and let everyone of you be baptised... and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and your children and to all who are afar off,as many as the Lord our God shall call' (Acts 2:38-39) In my testimony I said that I repented of my sin and was baptised in water and went on to be baptised in the Holy Spirit and fire. I believe this is the experience that John the Baptist refered to when he 'answered them all,I baptise you with water but one more powerful than I will come,the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He (Jesus) will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and with fire' (Luke 3:16) God bless you!
Being filled with the Holy Spirit and fire is certainly mentioned in the Scripture and the promise is for us today!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is a great privilege for believers to be baptised in water after repentance and to be baptised in the Holy Spirit and fire,when filled with the Holy Spirit!
. (Acts 1:8) 'You shall receive power after that the Holy Spirit has come upon you'

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟789,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"doctrine of baptisms" Heb 6:2

The baptism unto salvation is by The Holy Spirit from I Cor 12:13 "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."

Water baptism is by believers "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:" Matt 28:19

Jesus baptizes us with The Holy Spirit and fire "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:" Matt 3:11

The others I don't know about but willing to look into.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums