Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually Theon, much like Kami, Deva, El, Ruach, Pneuma, Spiritus, Spirit, Daimon, etc, has a range of meaning. (Not to mention that "God/Gott/Guþ" itself historically has a range of meaning in the Germanic languages.)

Ruach haqodesh, if you want to be snide, just means "holy breath". If Latin, Greek, Hebrew words etc. can only have one definition per word, then guess what, the scriptures instantly cease making sense. We would never make it as far as Paul, because we'd be stuck back in Genesis.
http://biblehub.com/greek/2316.htm

This shows one and only one meaning for Theos. Im just not seeing what you are saying at least as it is defined by Strong's

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,541.44
Faith
Messianic
Can i ask what about thoughts of blasphemously ?
I have OCD and i worry that my thinking these thoughts that i am sinning
will i go to hell for having these thoughts ?
Who said they were your thought.. just because they are running around your head, putting thoughts into your mind... they are not yours until you accept them as yours. ... I say they are not because you have recognized them to be not the pure thoughts of a believer and evidence by your worry, and I believe you have made efforts to cast them aside, unsuccessfully. That is just being tormented by unwanted thoughts. Ask the Lord to remove them... Follow His instructions..

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can i ask what about thoughts of blasphemously ?
I have OCD and i worry that my thinking these thoughts that i am sinning
will i go to hell for having these thoughts ?
Blaspheming is always for someone else to be heard or read, otherwise it's just "unholy thoughts".

Upvote 0

EPHESIANS6:10-11

Jun 7, 2015
✟16,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Who said they were your thought.. just because they are running around your head, putting thoughts into your mind... they are not yours until you accept them as yours. ... I say they are not because you have recognized them to be not the pure thoughts of a believer and evidence by your worry, and I believe you have made efforts to cast them aside, unsuccessfully. That is just being tormented by unwanted thoughts. Ask the Lord to remove them... Follow His instructions..
Yes i tried things to stop the thoughts , mindfulness and meditation but they where unsuccessful i also hear voices as well on top of having the thoughts
my mind gets so mixed up i need this to stop
thank you for posting back to me and what you said i give too much power to these things when it should just go out of my mind
I want to be free of this so i can get a job and contribute to the world
Av been letting this get to me and i should stop and focus on Yeshua

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

EPHESIANS6:10-11

Jun 7, 2015
✟16,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Blaspheming is always for someone else to be heard or read, otherwise it's just "unholy thoughts".
thank you for replying to me you are right they are just unholy thought that i shouldn't entertain them at all

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thank you for replying to me you are right they are just unholy thought that i shouldn't entertain them at all
I understand you kind of can't help yourself.
But the fact that it bothers you tells me you want to change that, you're sorry towards God.
That's repentance in my book.
Failure is forgiven when you try to do better.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
http://biblehub.com/greek/2316.htm

This shows one and only one meaning for Theos. Im just not seeing what you are saying at least as it is defined by Strong's

1. Your argument is circular, because the "one and only meaning" you refer to is "god", and as I already said this word historically has a range of meaning. The first entitites called gods in English were a pantheon of germanic mystical entities of varying natures. Some very powerful, others less powerful; some personal, some impersonal; some highly symbolical, some less symbolical. Some gods were hypostases or forms of another god. Most of these gods were apparently mortal.

2. That very page you linked to lists four definitions. (Scroll down to see Thayer's Lexicon of the NT.)
However note that it does not translate theos as used in Greek; it translates theos as they believe it is used in the Bible.
So while four of the many definitions are used in the Bible (in their view), the Greek language actually allows for more than these four definitions.

However the first definition mentioned is already enough; it literally says "deities or divinities", referring to the Greek religious concepts of deities. To learn more about their concept of deity, you have to look into the subject. To correctly define theos/theon would be to list the different things called by this title in Greek, including the many different categories of supernatural entities.

For example, in Attic, Zeus and the North Wind and Sleep can all be called theoi, but they are from completely different classes of being. Some entities could qualify as both theon and daimon.

Roman polytheism even includes a class of (apparently impersonal) beings called numen, which literally translates as "nod" (as in "to nod the head"). To translate a numen as a "nod" would not tell you what it means though, even though it is the literal translation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,541.44
Faith
Messianic
Yes i tried things to stop the thoughts , mindfulness and meditation but they where unsuccessful i also hear voices as well on top of having the thoughts
my mind gets so mixed up i need this to stop
thank you for posting back to me and what you said i give too much power to these things when it should just go out of my mind
I want to be free of this so i can get a job and contribute to the world
Av been letting this get to me and i should stop and focus on Yeshua
Only God had banish them. Open the doors to your heart and mind and ask the Lord to cleanse you of all unrighteousness. Wait for Him... He will come. Rev 3:20.. is a good place to place your finger and So is
Gen 49:18 I have waited for thy salvation, O LORD.
1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Don't leave prayer until He has come in answer to your prayer.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟154,410.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
By who it leads you to. If the miracle leads you to obey and glorify G-d, then it is true. If it directs you anywhere else, (including toward the practitioner even if he claims to be a believer) it is false.

And beyond that, LISTEN to the voice of the Holy Spirit. There is also an element of spiritual maturity:

Heb 5.14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

The NASB 1972 worded that "by reason of use..'

Both the healer and the healed can hope for salvation if they did not produce the fruit of the Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1. Your argument is circular, because the "one and only meaning" you refer to is "god", and as I already said this word historically has a range of meaning. The first entitites called gods in English were a pantheon of germanic mystical entities of varying natures. Some very powerful, others less powerful; some personal, some impersonal; some highly symbolical, some less symbolical. Some gods were hypostases or forms of another god. Most of these gods were apparently mortal.

2. That very page you linked to lists four definitions. (Scroll down to see Thayer's Lexicon of the NT.)
However note that it does not translate theos as used in Greek; it translates theos as they believe it is used in the Bible.
So while four of the many definitions are used in the Bible (in their view), the Greek language actually allows for more than these four definitions.

However the first definition mentioned is already enough; it literally says "deities or divinities", referring to the Greek religious concepts of deities. To learn more about their concept of deity, you have to look into the subject. To correctly define theos/theon would be to list the different things called by this title in Greek, including the many different categories of supernatural entities.

For example, in Attic, Zeus and the North Wind and Sleep can all be called theoi, but they are from completely different classes of being. Some entities could qualify as both theon and daimon.

Roman polytheism even includes a class of (apparently impersonal) beings called numen, which literally translates as "nod" (as in "to nod the head"). To translate a numen as a "nod" would not tell you what it means though, even though it is the literal translation.
And all of them are saying bascially the same thing... god or G-d

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
And all of them are saying bascially the same thing... god or G-d

Actually if you had read the first sentence of my post, you would not have made this comment.

Please read my post before replying to it. If you decide to do so, you will see why this comment you just made is meaningless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I guess that depends on your definition of miracle. There were actual snakes and water turned to blood under demonic power.

Have you ever heard the testimony of Orlando DeOlivera, the former witch doctor from Brasilia?

The miracles of magic(k) cost something, which is why it is said, "magic comes with a price." It is the "shortcut" method of getting the "impossible" done when you aren't omniscient - when you don't have enough knowledge and wisdom to get the method done naturally - despite its impossibility. The miracles God does are naturally evolving events.

So, while the fallen and demons have magick, it is recognizable.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The miracles God does are naturally evolving events.
Like Lazarus rising from the dead? Like the Red (or Reed) Sea splitting to allow Israel to cross on dry land? Like the sun "standing still" while Josuha fought a battle? (which would have actually been the stopping of earth's rotation (without notice of inertial evidence) and then starting back up again.)

How are those "naturally evolving events?"

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Like Lazarus rising from the dead?

Yes. Firstly, no one has died yet - not even angels. Every man is appointed to die in the flesh once, then judgment. And, that judgment determines if what really matters dies - your spirit. When Adam and Eve sinned, their died that day. And, all of their children are therefore sons of man instead of sons of God. Only Adam and Christ have the title of Son of God in the bible. God did not lie; their spirit died, and as a consequence their bodies began to rot. (Maybe it took 900 years to die because they were coming from perfection... later we humans died in a few decades.)

Lazarus was likely in a coma, or he may have actually been clinically dead. Christ said he was just sleeping; even to this day modern medicine can't really identify a unique cause on the Lazarus Effect - but it is a natural phenomenon. People do show up clinically dead - sometimes for many hours - and then they suddenly regain vitals. Surely, the breath or touch of Christ alone was enough to energize Lazarus to rise again. Even the knowledge of Christ would be able to rise Lazarus back up - using much more advanced and cleaner/safer medical tactics we have never even discovered.

Christ and His disciples did raise the dead and heal the sick - as ordered. Even if those people were VERY dead, what we call the "power of God" is a very well-precise understanding of every single bit information existing, to exist and that has existed. That includes ways to bring people back from the dead by means thought impossible by modern technology - but very much so natural.

Like the Red (or Reed) Sea splitting to allow Israel to cross on dry land?

"Supernatural" is a misnomer, because it assumes something outside of nature. It should just be called nature - which includes inter-dimensional and familiar dimensional interaction of matter. Nothing in this life is in and of itself supernatural; we just don't understand it quite yet. Using penicillin to cure syphilis in the 19th century would be considered supernatural.
Like Lazarus rising from the dead? Like the Red (or Reed) Sea splitting to allow Israel to cross on dry land? Like the sun "standing still" while Josuha fought a battle? (which would have actually been the stopping of earth's rotation (without notice of inertial evidence) and then starting back up again.)

If you read the Apocrypha, you will see many references of The Destroyer - a dwarf iron core stellar object that came upon the earth during that time - causing mental illness, plagues, poisoning of water, sickness, etc. This similar event happens in trumps 1-6. Something like a dwarf star can cause tremendous seismic activity. The iron dust raining down from this star would cause the water to turn RED (rust,) and BITTER. It will therefore kill the sea life. It will cause plagues and sickness, because the people who eat the food may get sick. The electrodynamics of such an advent itself could change the world on a genetic level - it often does.

It was a faith-based act for Moses to trust God when He told Moses to raise his staff and part the red sea. At that EXACT moment God knew that the seismicity would cause a piece of land to rise, and make a bridge across the sea. But, the lesson was the faith of Moses: would he do what God said at the EXACT moment, in the EXACT way? God knew what would happen, and He knows the importance of doing exactly what He says - especially when He is single-handedly saving an entire people from the gods of Egypt (and yes, they were real - each plague was a Godly mock at the "power" of the respective god worshipped in Egypt... from Hapi (god of the nile,) to Isis (goddess of medicine and peace,) to Pharaoh who is supposed to be God in the flesh.

God reprimanded Moses when He told Moses to simply speak to the rock to get water, and out of his frustration with the groaning Hebrews, he hit it with his staff. Miracle? Not natural? Considering the chemistry of the atmosphere after such cataclysmic events happens, seeding water would be easy to get from a rock especially if the rock is in super saturation. Certain acid-base reactions between atmospheric chemistry, the carbon dioxide expelled, and the rock could do it (a soft dissolve.) This is especially true if the rock was already soft enough that an elderly Moses could hit it and make the water spring forth anyway.

Like the sun "standing still" while Josuha fought a battle? (which would have actually been the stopping of earth's rotation (without notice of inertial evidence) and then starting back up again.)

There are several ways this could happen. And, they are all based on relativistic motion somewhat. Angular momentum about the planet can be preserved if the spherical coordinate is constant and another is manipulated so that the magnitude of forces is not changed. In other words, a phase rotation (like changing the axis of rotation to preserve angular momentum.) That is just a matter of a rotation tensor applied. Rolling the earth up and downish as opposed to left-rightish could make the sun appear in the same place while hours have passed.

Another way this could have happened is celestial perturbations of which we have no idea. (This also explains the earth-centric view causing the sun to stay in place.) Binary or tertiary systems affecting the sun, for example. And, since God knows all possible physics and math, He also knows how long, at what rate, and how often to make these things happen so that nothing is perturbed too far from its natural evolution.

Our definition of "naturally evolving events" is extremely limited. Most scientists today would be considered warlocks, mages or witches. In the 17th century, it was ridiculous and almost blasphemous to suggest little bitty LIVING organisms within our bodies (and outside) cause much of our illnesses. Alchemy and metallurgic transmutations (lead to gold) is nothing but a chemistry lab today! (Entire empires were built on the idea that lead or another "useless" metal can be turned into gold.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,541.44
Faith
Messianic

"Sun standing still" can also be a perspective. Somethings can not look one way and really be another. This link explains a "star standing still" from earth's perspective. http://www.bethlehemstar.com/

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Sun standing still" can also be a perspective. Somethings can not look one way and really be another. This link explains a "star standing still" from earth's perspective. http://www.bethlehemstar.com/
Really? A "perspective" delays sunset?

Joshua 10:13 So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on its enemies, as it is written in the Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.

Why does everyone keep wanting to explain the acts of God from some natural mechanism? OY!!!

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,541.44
Faith
Messianic
Really? A "perspective" delays sunset?

Joshua 10:13 So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on its enemies, as it is written in the Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.

Why does everyone keep wanting to explain the acts of God from some natural mechanism? OY!!!
Before man created the airplane and flew.. there were people who said that it was unnatural... then they flew and now see that it wasn't unnatural. Just because we can not explain the acts of God, doesn't mean God didn't follow His own laws.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

They are not. They are miracles.

Rabbi Mizrachi says: the only difference between miracle and nature is the frequency (ie. how often it happens.)

Upvote 0

theniceiceman

May 8, 2015
✟15,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It took me a long time to determine what this sin is. Now I believe it is a permanent hardening of the heart against Jesus. The Holy Spirit is what leads us to Christ by revealing him to us and also revealing the truth about our sinful nature. If we are so hard-hearted, we won't see that.

Matthew 12:31-32 is where Jesus talks about the blasphemy, but if you read a few verses down, he goes on to say 'Out of the heart, the mouth speaks.' He's saying that what we say shows the condition of our heart. Therefore, in order to say (and mean) something against the Holy Spirit, you have to have your heart hardened against him--against his testimony about who Jesus is, or maybe the miracles that he performed with the Holy Spirit's power.

God isn't a legalistic nitpicker. If someone gets drunk and says something against the Holy Spirit, something they didn't mean, is God going to hold that against them and never forgive them for it? I sincerely doubt it. If someone with Tourette syndrome says something against the Holy Spirit that they don't mean, will God not forgive them? Again, I doubt He would withhold forgiveness.

We need to think about the character of God--who He is and what He wants. He is love, and He wants all men to be saved. Not only that, but Jonah says that God is 'quick to change his mind and not punish'. There are numerous verses in the Bible that suggest that anyone who comes to Jesus, regardless of what they've done in the past, will be accepted. If those Pharisees had realized the error of their ways and come to Jesus with repentant hearts, asking for his forgiveness, would he have withheld it from them? Again, I sincerely doubt it.

Just my take on it :) I've heard that it's not so much a sin that God WON'T forgive, but a sin that a person who had truly committed it would never WANT Him to forgive (because their heart was so hardened).

Upvote 0