Finally a victory for Christians in this crazy world: Court says Jesus can stay on top of Mont. mtn.

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Montana-Jesus-Statue-ACLJ.jpg

25jesus-span-articleLarge.jpg

HELENA, Mont. – A 6-foot tall statue of Jesus that has spent the last 60 years overlooking a northwestern Montana ski hill may stay there, a federal appeals court ruled Monday.

"The Court rightly rejected Freedom From Religion Foundation's radical idea that a privately owned memorial standing in the middle of a ski resort violates the Constitution," said Eric Baxter, senior counsel with the Becket Fund, which defended the Flathead National Forest, forest supervisor Chip Weber and the U.S. Forest Service on appeal.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/31/appeals-court-upholds-jesus-statue-on-montana-mountain/

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I ski that mountain a fair bit, and have pics of my kids with Jesus..well, the Jesus statue. I don't know any skiers who are bothered by it, but in the other hand I wonder if some of the more pious are bothered by people posing with Jesus or decking Him out in goggles, poles, etc.

Upvote 0

FlaviusAetius

Nov 17, 2012
✟18,998.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Dumb trial, as expected of militant atheists.

Of course this is not a Christian victory, it's simply a preservation of the US Constitution. This ski resorts has the right to have a statue of Jesus on their private property and so does every other belief whether it's icons of Buddha, Vishnu or Satan.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Dumb trial, as expected of militant atheists.

Of course this is not a Christian victory, it's simply a preservation of the US Constitution. This ski resorts has the right to have a statue of Jesus on their private property and so does every other belief whether it's icons of Buddha, Vishnu or Satan.
While I'm fine with the statue, I'd point out that it isn't private property. Ski areas often lease forest lands.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I'm fine with the statue, I'd point out that it isn't private property. Ski areas often lease forest lands.

If the federal government leases out the land and takes the money it is hardly the federal government placing the statue on federal land therefore it is so obvious that it does not violate the establishment clause that the lawsuit should be throw out as frivolous and wouldn't it be nice if such frivolous lawsuits were met with some sort of fine for wasting the time of the judicial system when real substantive matters are waiting to be adjudicated?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
If I recall the details correctly, the statue predates the current ski area and wasn't placed by the company that manages the ski hill. I think it was the situation of it's placement that was a bit murky...it was some sort of war memorial unofficially placed on public land before the ski hill existed.
Regardless, I'm glad it's staying. I just hope it goes both ways, and people are tolerant of a bit of shenanigans that you'd expect considering the location. In other words, it's ok for it to be there, ok for some to see it as a sacred site, and ok for others not to, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
True.False.

Do you honestly belive that in the majority of cases regarding religious liberty and our courts, the wrong call was made? Excepting oddball low court rulings, people's right to display religious symbols and practice their religion in public has been defended time and time again. Cake baking aside, which specific cases regarding religious liberty do you disagree with at their highest appealed ruling and what percentage of all religious freedom cases do they represent? I am willing to do the legwork if you are too, even though I have some rather pressing projects today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Lets put Christ the Redeemer right over NYC, and turn Lady Liberty into a midget.
Atheists would love it.

35cb838.jpg
If I could buy a mountain overlooking DC, I would totally have something like that built.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There's already a big religious statue overlooking a city in the US. It's Our Lady of the Rockies, in Montana. ..Butte to be exact. Considering it's size and history, I'm surprised it so often overlooked.
Never heard of it.

Upvote 0