Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This honestly made me LOL.

Pastor's wife fined for praying too loudly - AOL.com

She believes her "faith is being tested". No, sweetie, this is God telling you to be quiet and stop disrespecting your neighbors as well as local authorities.

NOTE* She is a pastor's wife, not a pastor herself.

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Going downtown to pray on street corners?

I think Scripture, in fact Jesus himself, had a comment on that practice.

And it is quite clear she was heard by men.

In fact, we're told to pray in secret, to avoid this very thing. We're also told to respect those in authority; in this case, the cops who are telling her to shut up lol.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
^ are they defining "unnecessary noise" as disturbance of the peace? "Unnecessary noise" can be a number of things that could be "annoying", the question is, if it is "disturbing the peace" and why she was not charged with that term?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
^ are they defining "unnecessary noise" as disturbance of the peace? "Unnecessary noise" can be a number of things that could be "annoying", the question is, if it is "disturbing the peace" and why she was not charged with that term?

Thank you kindly.

How on earth would I know what's going on in the minds of the police and court officials? You'd have to ask them that question.

No one has said that she was "disturbing the peace", so I'm confused as to why you keep mentioning that specific term.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟102,861.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
How on earth would I know what's going on in the minds of the police and court officials? You'd have to ask them that question.

No one has said that she was "disturbing the peace", so I'm confused as to why you keep mentioning that specific term.

Disturbing the peace is the name of the criminal violation for noise issues in most cases. In this case, the police chief confirms that is what she is charged with here.

In one hand Nagbe carries her bible, singing versus of praise throughout the streets. Lisbon's police chief told us Nagbe's loud praying is "disturbing the peace."

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Disturbing the peace is the name of the criminal violation for noise issues in most cases. In this case, the police chief confirms that is what she is charged with here.

Well, I'm aware of your first point, lol.

I've read several articles on this, and the one you posted is the only one I've seen with that specific phrase used. All the others said "unnecessary noise".

Does it really matter which it was...?

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny View Post

Thank you kindly.

I did not know that it was unlawful and therefore fine-able to "pray too loud".

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did not know that it was unlawful and therefore fine-able to "pray too loud".

Thank you kindly.

If you stand outside your neighbor's house and scream for hours on end in "prayer", then yes, you're asking for police intervention. The issue was not that she was praying, but the noise level she was creating, despite being asked multiple times to lower her voice.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If you stand outside your neighbor's house and scream for hours on end in "prayer", then yes, you're asking for police intervention. The issue was not that she was praying, but the noise level she was creating, despite being asked multiple times to lower her voice.

That is what is called here "disturbing the peace" and/or "disorderly conduct".

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This honestly made me LOL.

Pastor's wife fined for praying too loudly - AOL.com

She believes her "faith is being tested". No, sweetie, this is God telling you to be quiet and stop disrespecting your neighbors as well as local authorities.

NOTE* She is a pastor's wife, not a pastor herself.

Precedents like this will come in handy when Muslim muezzins start blasting us with the call to prayers

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship

You will only see this kind of problem in the U.S. and nowhere else. If you want to pray as loud as you want. i suggest you go to another Christian majority country. Perhaps try the Philippines or Brazil, they have more Christians percentage wise than we do most likely.

Upvote 0