✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hello again all,

I suppose I should start as to why I'm feeling torn. As some of you may know I grew up as a non-practising Catholic.
When I got serious about my faith I left Catholicism and moved to Protestantism.
I have been there ever since..however every so often I feel this tug back towards the Catholic church. There are parts of it I miss, and it seems, that the protestant churches cannot fill.
It seems easy to say: "well just go back to the Catholic church." but my family, though I feel they would...support me, I don't think would agree.

Also a lot of my friends are Protestant and can be..well..rather hash when looking at the Catholic faith. I know my converting back would raise a few eyebrows and I would be going alone. (knowing no one in the Catholic community)

It's very daunting, and well...I'm confused.
Do I stay where I have been for years (mostly Baptist) or do I go back to the Catholic church and risk losing people?

It's really tough, and I don't know what to do.

~Jenka

twosid

Jun 30, 2003
Woodstock, Georgia
Visit site
✟2,396.00
Faith
Christian
Also a lot of my friends are Protestant and can be..well..rather hash when looking at the Catholic faith. I know my converting back would raise a few eyebrows and I would be going alone. (knowing no one in the Catholic community)

Do I stay where I have been for years (mostly Baptist) or do I go back to the Catholic church and risk losing people?

~Jenka

They look at the Catholic faith harshly because they are ignorant of what Catholics believe and practice.

I'd put God before your friends and find out who your friends really are. ;)

Reactions: Latreia
Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:hug: :hug: :hug:

You know that God comes first. Pray for wisdom and courage. If your decision is to rejoin the Catholic Church (the Church Jesus founded) you'll probably be wanting to do some major studying to be absolutely sure. Just don't be surprised if God decides to have your family want to join you. Nothing is impossible for God, just don't get in His way.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello again all,

I suppose I should start as to why I'm feeling torn. As some of you may know I grew up as a non-practising Catholic.
When I got serious about my faith I left Catholicism and moved to Protestantism.
I have been there ever since..however every so often I feel this tug back towards the Catholic church. There are parts of it I miss, and it seems, that the protestant churches cannot fill.
It seems easy to say: "well just go back to the Catholic church." but my family, though I feel they would...support me, I don't think would agree.

~Jenka

It seems we should go the way the Spirit tugs ~ pulls and pushes us.

My brother left the Church many years ago...
He went to a protestant church for a few years.
Felt that he ached for the Eucharist...and he obeyed the pulling from the Spirit and returned to the Catholic Church.

He converted his friends with him, those who would listen to why he reverted.
As for the others...he made a choice to obey the Lord, & not what others wanted for him.

God Bless you and bring you much peace.

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You go where you feel the Lord is calling you and let you light shine..When we get to the judgment seat of Christ, we won't be there because we belonged to the right church. We will get there because of our faith in Christ Jesus for our salvation. Tell them it is the same Jesus that provides salvation to the baptists, provides it to the catholics..Remember wheat and tares are growing together at all the churches. You just live your life maturing in the Spirit that they cannot deny you have Christ living in you..shalom..kim

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
These words gave me comfort years ago:

If I am not seen again in the old places,
on the village ground,
say of me, "lost to men."
Say I am adventure bound, for love's sake.
Lost on purpose to be found."

--St. John of the Cross

Welcome to losing yourself. You are in good company.

Upvote 0

Proeliator

broken is a good state
Jul 21, 2005
New York City
✟16,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hello again all,

~Jenka

Personally, I called this taking the scenic route back to the Church. I too was away from God for a while, and came back through the Protestant church. Why, not too many months ago I was a rabid Calvinist on these forums! I too felt that some tug, and lost friends because I responded to it. But much greater is the satisfaction of answering the Call of God, than denying Him, for an earthly friendship.

Upvote 0

Jenka

ISCARIOT AGENCY XIII - Agent VII :1st-C Info Tech
Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thank you all for being so encouraging.
This sunday I am going to Mass, I'm thankful that my parents have never made me feel like I am wrong to do so.
But it can be difficult going alone..

However, I think I'll stay on this path awhile and see where it leads me.

I can only assume I am being called as I have not really been influenced by anyone to rejoin the Catholic chruch, (if anything I have been warned against it)
Yet still I feel drawn.

The Holy Spirit?

I'm beginning to think so. :)

Your Sister in Christ,
~Jenka

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Think it out, this could just be nastalgia for the past, you grew up non-practsing Catholic right? could this just be wanting to "do it right" when you were a kid. The worst thing that could happen is you go back to being Catholic and it is really hard and then a few years latter you are really unhappy in the Church.

But the thing you have to ask yourself, look at the early history of christianity. What does it look like, it has bishops and the recognition of the eucharist as the body of christ. The Church is not some invisible thing but a real Church that God placed to lead us to Him. Look at all of the Church, the Catholic the Orthodox the Coptic, all of them that were set up by apostles, they all look similar to each other (in so much as the idea of the Church as a visible thing and the reality of the sacrements) look at all the man made fellowships created over the past few hundred years. What do they look like?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ConanTheLibrarian

Nov 11, 2005
Pyongtaek, South Korea
✟8,033.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ultimately, the only valid reason for choosing a church is to ask yourself, "Is it true?" I'm in RCIA now, coming in from the Lutheran Church. Sometimes, there will be costs, but we must be intellectually honest. If your friends really are friends, they will stand by you and respect you in your decision. Check out sites like Catholic Answers and EWTN.

On my desk at work, I have a quote from St. Augustine, "It is love that seeks, that knocks, that finds, and is faithful to what it finds."

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2007
✟15,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm kind of having the same struggle, except the opposite (I'm Catholic right now). I don't think there's an easy answer, but the most important thing is to research the beliefs of each choice very thoroughly and define your own beliefs as much as possible before choosing. Don't just jump in based on a feeling or because you worry what others might think. If your family truly loves you and your friends are truly your friends, they will respect whatever decision you make, even if they don't agree with it.

I pray God will lead you to where he wants you to be.

God Bless. :)

Upvote 0

GorrionGris

...but the greatest of these is Love
Nov 15, 2006
Gran Canaria, Spain
✟9,212.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Think it out, this could just be nastalgia for the past, you grew up non-practsing Catholic right? could this just be wanting to "do it right" when you were a kid. The worst thing that could happen is you go back to being Catholic and it is really hard and then a few years latter you are really unhappy in the Church.

But the thing you have to ask yourself, look at the early history of christianity. What does it look like, it has bishops and the recognition of the eucharist as the body of christ. The Church is not some invisible thing but a real Church that God placed to lead us to Him. Look at all of the Church, the Catholic the Orthodox the Coptic, all of them that were set up by apostles, they all look similar to each other (in so much as the idea of the Church as a visible thing and the reality of the sacrements) look at all the man made fellowships created over the past few hundred years. What do they look like?
Amen :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.