John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why did Jesus say "Feed My Sheep" three times to Peter?

John 21:15-17
So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It reflects / is in harmony with the 2 Great Commandments, the Law of Christ.
That basically teaches that if you love God you love your fellow humans, especially your brothers and sisters in Christ, the children of God, of which Jesus is the Sheppard, hence they are his sheep.

Because Peter was an Apostle he had the job to spread the Word, and man doesn't live by bread alone but by every Word that comes form the mouth of God, the Word of God, is food in that sense, for his children, his sheep.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Davidson
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is much that can probably be said. One thing is that Peter denied Jesus three times, so there was a three-food restoration as well.

The language differs a little, both in the asking "do you love Me" and in the "feed my sheep".

But He was charging Peter with the task of helping to establish the Church.

Reactions: John Davidson
Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It reflects / is in harmony with the 2 Great Commandments, the Law of Christ.
That basically teaches that if you love God you love your fellow humans, especially your brothers and sisters in Christ, the children of God, of which Jesus is the Sheppard, hence they are his sheep.

That is some good insight.

Because Peter was an Apostle he had the job to spread the Word, and man doesn't live by bread alone but by every Word that comes form the mouth of God, the Word of God, is food in that sense, for his children, his sheep.

Don't you think this charge is to all Christians and not just Peter?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It must have been very important because Jesus never repeated anything else 3 times.
Didn't God repeat also to Peter, showing Peter 3 times that the unclean food was declared clean?
And Peter didn't quite accept that too (and was later rebuked by Paul for his hypocrisy in such matters)

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Didn't God repeat also to Peter, showing Peter 3 times that the unclean food was declared clean?
And Peter didn't quite accept that too (and was later rebuked by Paul for his hypocrisy in such matters)

Yes, but Jesus is never recorded as repeating himself three times during his ministry.

I believe this is of significant importance.

Jesus was trying to emphasize what he was saying because it really mattered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is some good insight.
It's Jesus speaking in parables.
Don't you think this charge is to all Christians and not just Peter?
Especially to the Apostles i.m.o.
They even wrote Scripture. :)
They 'took over' from Christ who is the foundation and built the Church and spread the Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think Christ is saying the same thing to you?
Hmm... I'm more like an insubordinate lost sheep than someone who feeds (nourishes) sheep.
I have 'cast pearls before swine' though, hoping they might be sheep who would acknowledge the Sheppard..
I only meet deafness for the Word in my community..
I have no one to gather with in his Name, i feel misplaced in the churches i tried, i stopped looking for one.
But i probably don't approach it right myself...
Even here i do things wrong, getting banned because i misbehave..
It seems my duty is to keep on repenting and being chastised and crucifying my flesh, read the entire Bible which i often postpone (because of things like David and the 200 foreskins and all the bloodshed and deaths endorsed by God).
What can i say?
Many things i don't yet understand or that trouble me, even distrust and doubts...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you think the charge is only to Peter or to all believers?

Neither.

I think the charge was given to all the Apostles, and all they laid hands on and ordained as presbyters of the developing Church, and so on.

The faithful have a role as well, to keep the faith and at times, if it becomes necessary, to correct any leaders that might go astray (as the leaders are responsible to correct one another). But the feeding of the sheep is passed down to certain ones in charge of the Church, who pass it down to others, and so on.

And the faithful have their roles within the Church as well, as spelled out in Scripture. For example the older women teaching the younger in their roles as godly wives and mothers, parents properly rearing their children, and so on.

But as to that particular charge, I believe Jesus was establishing the Church, and as spelled out in Scripture there are particular roles there. And we as Orthodox do not believe the charge went only to Peter - for various reasons we do not have "a Pope."

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It must have been very important because Jesus never repeated anything else 3 times.

Edit: for correction

Jesus also prayed three times in the garden of Gethsemane. Paul asked God thrice to remove his thorn, and God said his grace is sufficient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Neither.

I think the charge was given to all the Apostles, and all they laid hands on and ordained as presbyters of the developing Church, and so on.

The faithful have a role as well, to keep the faith and at times, if it becomes necessary, to correct any leaders that might go astray (as the leaders are responsible to correct one another). But the feeding of the sheep is passed down to certain ones in charge of the Church, who pass it down to others, and so on.

And the faithful have their roles within the Church as well, as spelled out in Scripture. For example the older women teaching the younger in their roles as godly wives and mothers, parents properly rearing their children, and so on.

But as to that particular charge, I believe Jesus was establishing the Church, and as spelled out in Scripture there are particular roles there. And we as Orthodox do not believe the charge went only to Peter - for various reasons we do not have "a Pope."

So you don't believe that this charge to "feed the sheep" goes out to all Christians?

What of the verse that states, "I was hungry and you fed me" then? Matthew 25:35

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Edit: for correction

Jesus also prayed three times in the garden of Gethsemane. Paul asked God thrice to remove his thorn, and God said his grace is sufficient.

Actually Its not recorded that God said anything three times, it just said that god replied that His grace was sufficient. Paul did ask three times though

But my point is Jesus never repeated himself 3 times to anyone any other place.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm... I'm more like an insubordinate lost sheep than someone who feeds (nourishes) sheep.
I have 'cast pearls before swine' though, hoping they might be sheep who would acknowledge the Sheppard..
I only meet deafness for the Word in my community..
I have no one to gather with in his Name, i feel misplaced in the churches i tried, i stopped looking for one.
But i probably don't approach it right myself...
Even here i do things wrong, getting banned because i misbehave..
It seems my duty is to keep on repenting and being chastised and crucifying my flesh, read the entire Bible which i often postpone (because of things like David and the 200 foreskins and all the bloodshed and deaths endorsed by God).
What can i say?
Many things i don't yet understand or that trouble me, even distrust and doubts...

I'm sorry you feel this way.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I hope your situation improves and God uses you in a mighty way.

Have you ever considered trying the LCMS?
http://locator.lcms.org/nchurches_frm/church.asp

Last edited:
Upvote 0