✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/10/gang.arrests/index.html

What makes Operation Community Shield different from other crackdowns is that federal authorities for the first time are using immigration and customs authorities in an attempt to dismantle what they call "transnational, violent street gangs," according to DHS.

Though the operation no longer discriminates among gangs, the Los Angeles, California-based MS-13 remains a priority. Just last year, FBI Assistant Director Chris Swecker testified to a congressional committee that MS-13 had a significant presence in Virginia, New York, California, Texas, Oregon and Nebraska.

The group has about 10,000 "hardcore members," Swecker said, adding that MS-13 was quickly becoming more sophisticated, widespread and violent. Deporting these gang members, Swecker said, "is partially responsible for the growth of those gangs in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico."

In a news conference Friday, DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff compared fighting gang violence to fighting terrorism. He added that the participation of all levels of law enforcement was necessary to fight the "scourge" of gang violence in communities across the United States.

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ginny said:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/10/gang.arrests/index.html

What makes Operation Community Shield different from other crackdowns is that federal authorities for the first time are using immigration and customs authorities in an attempt to dismantle what they call "transnational, violent street gangs," according to DHS.

Though the operation no longer discriminates among gangs, the Los Angeles, California-based MS-13 remains a priority. Just last year, FBI Assistant Director Chris Swecker testified to a congressional committee that MS-13 had a significant presence in Virginia, New York, California, Texas, Oregon and Nebraska.

The group has about 10,000 "hardcore members," Swecker said, adding that MS-13 was quickly becoming more sophisticated, widespread and violent. Deporting these gang members, Swecker said, "is partially responsible for the growth of those gangs in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico."

In a news conference Friday, DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff compared fighting gang violence to fighting terrorism. He added that the participation of all levels of law enforcement was necessary to fight the "scourge" of gang violence in communities across the United States.

No, I mean it -- are you really sitting down?

Like, in a chair?

OK? Are we ready to go on.

OK.

I agree with this article, and I agree with the crackdown.

On a very personal level, I am tired of being menaced by gangs, of gang markings on fences and stores and even our cars (if gang members have to "musk" something, why can't they "musk" each other and mark their territory that way?).

I vividly remember driving home on South Lamar Boulevard when I ran into a gang fight in the street, and one of the members literally opened the door of my car, got in, and pressed the gas pedal (of my car!) to get out of there!

Fortunately, I was fastened in my seat belt; and once I got back control of the car I shoved the little twirp out the side door (and I'm sorry if the landing was rough because we were going 30 mph).

Gangs in Austin were one reason why this fiery, highly opinionated liberal decided to get a concealed weapon permit. If some guy gets into my car or my house without being specifically asked, he may find himself missing a pair of cajones!

All I have to say about this is "about time!" and I wish this had been done sooner!

Upvote 0

419gam

Veteran
Mar 26, 2005
California
✟1,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While I agree with the crackdown, arresting gangbangers isn't enough, you have to keep them in prison for a signifigant length of time. I worry that many may just be deported and then recross the border. Also 375 arrests in 23 states is barley a drop in the bucket.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
419gam said:
While I agree with the crackdown, arresting gangbangers isn't enough, you have to keep them in prison for a signifigant length of time. I worry that many may just be deported and then recross the border. Also 375 arrests in 23 states is barley a drop in the bucket.

Coming back after being deported is a crime, and they get locked up for that before being deported again. The deporting is essentially a way of convicting them of something, even if you can't prove they comitted murder or anything else. I'm agreed with you that 375 arrests is hardly a drop in the bucket, though.

Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to the police getting some help from the military here. If any of these guys try to drive off, we could have Apache Longbows in the area to gun them down if they get a clear shot. We could have reservists equipped with police-grade weaponry supplementing the regular police and SWAT forces in raids on any of their hideouts. Basically, the more terrifyingly overwhelming, the better.

In the same way that we have undercover agents posing as prostitutes, I think we should get undercover agents into these gangs and capture or kill every gang member they identify. Doing that will force them to be much, much more cautious about their recruitment. If the gangs don't collapse immediately, attrition will wear them down to nothing. Just like in Afghanistan and Iraq, we should put bounties on the heads of the leaders or more prominent members and tempt anyone who knows them to turn them in. If it's good enough for the citizens of Iraq, it's good enough for us.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
UberLutheran said:
Gangs in Austin were one reason why this fiery, highly opinionated liberal decided to get a concealed weapon permit.

**GASP** A liberal that owns a gun AND a permit?

This world in general is one reason why this fiery, reeking of conservatism Christian will be getting her permit one week from today. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums