alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FEAR OF GOD

Just recently during Bible study our small group came on the subject of the fear of GO, and suggestion had been made that we should not fear GOD. Explanation for such thinking was given on the basis that GOD is love, and because of it we should not fear Him.

Despite the fact that in the Bible close to 100 verses plainly said “fear the GOD”, and at least dozed of them said “Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge and wisdom”, the group came to a conclusion that it is not so!

One old lady said, “I have trouble to accept fear of the Lord for a long time, and I searching for many years trying to find explanation and solution for this matter, and could not find any. But recently when I heard explanation that word “fear” can be read as “love”, because GOD is love, then finally I found solution and accept the change.”

And when I heard this I asked myself a question, “When we sin, do we sin because we have no fear of GOD, or for any other reason?
When David heavily sinned against the Lord and committed adultery and a murder, did he lost the fear of GOD at that moment when he done it? Or it was done for other reason.

Indeed, David, and people in general, sin because have no fear of GOD, and became fools, and committed transcriptions against the Lord without even knowing it.

Just like Bible specified that fear of GOD brings knowledge and wisdom not to sin, the opposite effect always present for lack of the fear of GOD.

Imagine replacing such specific and single minded word as “fear” with “love.” So we can replace and other words in the Bible which we do not like or have hard time to understand.

Like a word “war” for example. Bible mentions many wars, and I heard from many people that the Old Testament is very violent and bloody Book.
Ok, let change word “war” for “friendship”, so the Old Testament will looks much more lovely for soft hearted people. And then we would read about some battles in the Bible, we would read this, “and two armies collided in battle with one another and started kissing and hugging one another.” So no awful bloodshed can spoil our good mood.

Many people also do not like word “hell” and even declare that hell does not exist! Ok, we can find a good word to replace “hell” for such soft, gentle, and loving souls.

How about to replace the ugly word “hell” for “heaven”? That would sound terrific! And we would read word “heaven” in every place where the word “hell” is present. In this case nobody goes to hell but everybody goes to heaven, because GOD is love and there is no hell.

And so, let replace every Word of GOD we do not like with our own words we like, and the Bible will be truly wonderful Book to read!

Above all, GOD wants us to fear Him and to be feared by us. When the Lord addressed nations of the world in His judgments upon them, He said to each and every one of them that He will do this and this to them, and they will know that he is the Lord. Such statement has been repeated many time through the Old Testament, but it seem to me that people do not understand what the Lord meant by this.

Fear of the Lord prevents people from sinning and saves souls.

We fear our bosses at work, we fear our authorities, police, judges, and lawyers, and others who have authorities over us and who can ruin our lives, but the One Who stand above them all and has authority over them, and from Whom we cannot hide, and Who is able to do much more than any earthly man with authority, we do not fear?! Is it makes any sense?

I think only fools do not fear the Lord.

GOD bless all

Alex

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The thought is reverential fear, not dread --unless one is rebellious toward God. The lost souls ought to fear eternal condemnation and wrath. Christians who dishonor God and live in a worldly way, ought to fear the holiness of God which will bring down righteous consequences on one who trifles with God and dishonors Him.

There are two major kinds of judgment: Hell for non-believers, and the Judgment Seat of Christ in Heaven for saints of God ---which is forfeiture of rewards for foolish saints who lived for self. Carnal Christians now will also be left to the consequences naturally of their reckless ways.

Upvote 0

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
FEAR OF GOD

Just recently during Bible study our small group came on the subject of the fear of GO, and suggestion had been made that we should not fear GOD. Explanation for such thinking was given on the basis that GOD is love, and because of it we should not fear Him.

Despite the fact that in the Bible close to 100 verses plainly said “fear the GOD”, and at least dozed of them said “Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge and wisdom”, the group came to a conclusion that it is not so!

One old lady said, “I have trouble to accept fear of the Lord for a long time, and I searching for many years trying to find explanation and solution for this matter, and could not find any. But recently when I heard explanation that word “fear” can be read as “love”, because GOD is love, then finally I found solution and accept the change.”

And when I heard this I asked myself a question, “When we sin, do we sin because we have no fear of GOD, or for any other reason?
When David heavily sinned against the Lord and committed adultery and a murder, did he lost the fear of GOD at that moment when he done it? Or it was done for other reason.

Indeed, David, and people in general, sin because have no fear of GOD, and became fools, and committed transcriptions against the Lord without even knowing it.

Just like Bible specified that fear of GOD brings knowledge and wisdom not to sin, the opposite effect always present for lack of the fear of GOD.

Imagine replacing such specific and single minded word as “fear” with “love.” So we can replace and other words in the Bible which we do not like or have hard time to understand.

Like a word “war” for example. Bible mentions many wars, and I heard from many people that the Old Testament is very violent and bloody Book.
Ok, let change word “war” for “friendship”, so the Old Testament will looks much more lovely for soft hearted people. And then we would read about some battles in the Bible, we would read this, “and two armies collided in battle with one another and started kissing and hugging one another.” So no awful bloodshed can spoil our good mood.

Many people also do not like word “hell” and even declare that hell does not exist! Ok, we can find a good word to replace “hell” for such soft, gentle, and loving souls.

How about to replace the ugly word “hell” for “heaven”? That would sound terrific! And we would read word “heaven” in every place where the word “hell” is present. In this case nobody goes to hell but everybody goes to heaven, because GOD is love and there is no hell.

And so, let replace every Word of GOD we do not like with our own words we like, and the Bible will be truly wonderful Book to read!

Above all, GOD wants us to fear Him and to be feared by us. When the Lord addressed nations of the world in His judgments upon them, He said to each and every one of them that He will do this and this to them, and they will know that he is the Lord. Such statement has been repeated many time through the Old Testament, but it seem to me that people do not understand what the Lord meant by this.

Fear of the Lord prevents people from sinning and saves souls.

We fear our bosses at work, we fear our authorities, police, judges, and lawyers, and others who have authorities over us and who can ruin our lives, but the One Who stand above them all and has authority over them, and from Whom we cannot hide, and Who is able to do much more than any earthly man with authority, we do not fear?! Is it makes any sense?

I think only fools do not fear the Lord.

GOD bless all

Alex

I agree friend, and as watchman said it's more of respect fear, like realising your hopeless in a situation and your fate is in God's hands.

-The Lowest Servant

Upvote 0

alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It looks to me that you guys very much came to the same conclusion, that fear of GOD is not really FEAR but RESPECT.
Well, of course we can not only change the word for another word, we can also change and the meaning and definition of the word.

Does respect goes far enough then it comes to the Lord? Respect sounds like, “He is OK”,, “He is fine”, and it kind of minimizes the greatness of GOD to its minimum, at least it does sounds like that.

FEAR on the other hand generates not only terror and dread of GOD, but also and great respect for Him. And I think that without true FEAR of GOD no one can have and true respect for Him, because FEAR is a birthplace of respect. If you do not fear you cannot respect, and those whom we respect, we fear them most, according to my life experience.

I collected all the verses from the Bible concerning FEAR of GOD, truly, they count close to 100, and may be more, because certainly I might missed some. Word FEAR has only one meaning and only one definition, which is FEAR, and nothing else.

And I just wonder, what you guys find so offensive, unpleasant, or negative in FEAR of the Lord? Fear actually generates some good and beneficial qualities in human beings.

Below only few examples out of many what actually true FEAR does to the people.

FEAR of GOD is blessing for the family.
Exodus 1.17.21
17.But the midwives feared GOD, they did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but the left the boys live.
21.And because the midwives feared GOD, He gave them families

FEAR of GOD is the source of believing in Him and generates Faith in Him.
Exodus 14.31
31.Israel saw the great work that the Lord did against the Egyptians. So the people feared the Lord and believed in the Lord and His servant Moses.

FEAR of GOD provides justice.
Exodus 18.21-22
21.You should also look for able men among all the people, men who fear GOD are trustworthy, and hate dishonest gain, set such men over them as officers, over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens.
22.Let them sit as judges for the people at all times, let them bring every important case to you, but decide every minor case themselves. So it will be easier for you and they will bear the burden with you.
2Samuel 23.3-4
3.The GOD of Israel has spoken, the Rock of Israel has said to me: 'One who rules over people justly, ruling in fear of GOD,
4.is like the light of morning, like the sun rising on a cloudless morning, gleaming from the rain on the grassy land.'

FEAR of GOD prevents people from committing sin.
Exodus 20.20
20.Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid, GOD has come only to test you and to put the fear of Him upon you so that you do not sin."
Proverbs 16.6
6.”By loyalty and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the Lord one avoids evil.”
Is the love for the Lord or respect for Him will be enough to avoid evil and sin?

FEAR of GOD also prevents wars.
2Chronicles 20.29
29.”The fear of GOD came on all the kingdoms of the countries when they heard that the Lord had fought against the enemies of Israel.”
And where the word “respect” would fit in this passage?
Nehemiah 6.16
After completion of the wall of Jerusalem by Nehemiah
16.And when all our enemies heard of it, all the nations around us were afraid and fell greatly in their own esteem, they perceived that this work had been accomplished with the help of our GOD.
And where such words as “love” and “respect” would fit in these passages?

FEAR of GOD is also and wisdom.
Job 28.28
Words of Job to Bildad
28.And He said to human kind, 'Truly, the fear of the Lord that is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding."
Psalms 111.10
10.The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever.
In this case I don’t see how “respect” can bring any wisdom.
Proverbs 9.10
10.The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.
Proverbs 15.16.33
33.The fear of the Lord is instruction in wisdom, and humility goes before honor.

FEAR of GOD is the beginning of knowledge.
Proverbs 1.7.28-29
7.The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, fools despise wisdom and instruction.
28.Then they will call upon me but I will not answer, they will seek me diligently but will not find me.
29.Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord,

FEAR of GOD in serves and worship.
Psalms 2.11
11.”Serve the Lord with fear, with trembling,”
Psalms 96.9
9.Worship the Lord in holy splendor, tremble before Him all the Earth.
Would you also replace the word “TREMBLING” for “respect” or “love”?

FEAR of the Punishment of the Lord.
Psalms 119.120
120.”My flesh trembles for fear of You and I am afraid of Your judgments.”
Here we see such word as, “afraid”, and just like the word “trembling”, it precisely indicates the definition and meaning of the word “FEAR”, which means AFRAID and TREMBLING before GOD.

Proverbs 24.21-22
21.My child fear the Lord and the king, and do not disobey either of them,
22.disaster comes from them suddenly and who knows the ruin that both can bring?

Isaiah 8.12-13
12."Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what it fears or be in dread,
13.But the Lord of hosts, Him you shall regard as Holy, let Him be your fear and let Him be your dread.
And here is a new word which defines FEAR is DREAD, not “love” or “respect”.

Jeremiah 5.22
22.Do you not fear Me? Says the Lord. Do you not TREMBLE before Me? I placed the sand as a boundary for the sea, a perpetual barrier that it cannot pass, though the waters toss, they cannot prevail, though they roar, they cannot pass over it.

Your substitutes for word FEAR do not fit at all in any of these passages, and here I presented only few of them out of many.
So, what is the definition of FEAR in the Bible, it is to be AFRAID of GOD, TREMBLE before Him, and DREAD Him.
And those who will accept the word FEAR as it written, which means FEAR THE LORD, TREMBLE before Him, and DREAD Him, then they should read verse below:

Proverbs 2.5
5.then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of GOD.

Acts 5.5-11
5.”Now when Ananias heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard of it.
11.And great fear seized the whole church and all who heard of these things.”
Whom you think people start FEAR, apostle Peter or GOD, Who took both souls for cheating the Holy Spirit? Or they just having better “respect” and “love” for GOD?

Romans 13.3-4
3.”Rulers are not a terror to good conduct but to bad. Do you wish to have no fear of the authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive its approval.
4.It is GOD’S servant for you good. But if you do what is wrong, you should be afraid, the authority does not bear the sword in vain! It is the servant of GOD to execute wrath on the wrongdoer.”
Here Paul compares earthly authorities to GOD, urging Christians to fear the Lord as they fear their own authorities, both of them carrying the sword of punishment, and in this case there is no room for respect or love, but FEAR.

First Peter 1.17
17.If you invoke as Father the One Who judges all people impartially according to their deeds, live in reverent fear during the time of your exile.
As this verse also specified, FEAR belongs to justice, discipline, and punishment

Revelation of John 14.6-7
Vision of John
6.Then I saw another angel flying in mid Heaven with an eternal Gospel to proclaim to those who live on the Earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people.
7.He said in a loud voice, ‘Fear GOD and give Him glory, the hour of His judgment has come, and worship Him Who made Heaven and Earth, the sea and the springs of water.’

Someone presented this verse as an argument against fear.
1John 4.18
18.There is no fear in love but perfect love casts out fear, fear has to do with punishment and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love.

Concerning love, indeed it has nothing to do with fear, just like salt does not contain sweetness, and light darkness, so and love has no fear when we love the Lord.
But when we sin, we should fear the Lord, and despite the fact that He loves us and we love Him, He would not leave anyone unpunished.

So Fear belongs to justice, punishment, and discipline.
Love belongs to blessings, mercy, compassion, forgiveness, Sacrifice of Christ, and all other goodness which the Lord GOD provided for us, and two have practically nothing in common, because they relate to completely different issues and subjects.

Another word, when we blessed and saved, we love the Lord, but when we sin and do wrong, we shall fear Him because He will do justice upon us according to His Word.

Alex

Upvote 0

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It looks to me that you guys very much came to the same conclusion, that fear of GOD is not really FEAR but RESPECT.
Well, of course we can not only change the word for another word, we can also change and the meaning and definition of the word.

Does respect goes far enough then it comes to the Lord? Respect sounds like, “He is OK”,, “He is fine”, and it kind of minimizes the greatness of GOD to its minimum, at least it does sounds like that.

FEAR on the other hand generates not only terror and dread of GOD, but also and great respect for Him. And I think that without true FEAR of GOD no one can have and true respect for Him, because FEAR is a birthplace of respect. If you do not fear you cannot respect, and those whom we respect, we fear them most, according to my life experience.

I collected all the verses from the Bible concerning FEAR of GOD, truly, they count close to 100, and may be more, because certainly I might missed some. Word FEAR has only one meaning and only one definition, which is FEAR, and nothing else.

And I just wonder, what you guys find so offensive, unpleasant, or negative in FEAR of the Lord? Fear actually generates some good and beneficial qualities in human beings.

Below only few examples out of many what actually true FEAR does to the people.

FEAR of GOD is blessing for the family.
Exodus 1.17.21
17.But the midwives feared GOD, they did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but the left the boys live.
21.And because the midwives feared GOD, He gave them families

FEAR of GOD is the source of believing in Him and generates Faith in Him.
Exodus 14.31
31.Israel saw the great work that the Lord did against the Egyptians. So the people feared the Lord and believed in the Lord and His servant Moses.

FEAR of GOD provides justice.
Exodus 18.21-22
21.You should also look for able men among all the people, men who fear GOD are trustworthy, and hate dishonest gain, set such men over them as officers, over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens.
22.Let them sit as judges for the people at all times, let them bring every important case to you, but decide every minor case themselves. So it will be easier for you and they will bear the burden with you.
2Samuel 23.3-4
3.The GOD of Israel has spoken, the Rock of Israel has said to me: 'One who rules over people justly, ruling in fear of GOD,
4.is like the light of morning, like the sun rising on a cloudless morning, gleaming from the rain on the grassy land.'

FEAR of GOD prevents people from committing sin.
Exodus 20.20
20.Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid, GOD has come only to test you and to put the fear of Him upon you so that you do not sin."
Proverbs 16.6
6.”By loyalty and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the Lord one avoids evil.”
Is the love for the Lord or respect for Him will be enough to avoid evil and sin?

FEAR of GOD also prevents wars.
2Chronicles 20.29
29.”The fear of GOD came on all the kingdoms of the countries when they heard that the Lord had fought against the enemies of Israel.”
And where the word “respect” would fit in this passage?
Nehemiah 6.16
After completion of the wall of Jerusalem by Nehemiah
16.And when all our enemies heard of it, all the nations around us were afraid and fell greatly in their own esteem, they perceived that this work had been accomplished with the help of our GOD.
And where such words as “love” and “respect” would fit in these passages?

FEAR of GOD is also and wisdom.
Job 28.28
Words of Job to Bildad
28.And He said to human kind, 'Truly, the fear of the Lord that is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding."
Psalms 111.10
10.The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever.
In this case I don’t see how “respect” can bring any wisdom.
Proverbs 9.10
10.The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.
Proverbs 15.16.33
33.The fear of the Lord is instruction in wisdom, and humility goes before honor.

FEAR of GOD is the beginning of knowledge.
Proverbs 1.7.28-29
7.The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, fools despise wisdom and instruction.
28.Then they will call upon me but I will not answer, they will seek me diligently but will not find me.
29.Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord,

FEAR of GOD in serves and worship.
Psalms 2.11
11.”Serve the Lord with fear, with trembling,”
Psalms 96.9
9.Worship the Lord in holy splendor, tremble before Him all the Earth.
Would you also replace the word “TREMBLING” for “respect” or “love”?

FEAR of the Punishment of the Lord.
Psalms 119.120
120.”My flesh trembles for fear of You and I am afraid of Your judgments.”
Here we see such word as, “afraid”, and just like the word “trembling”, it precisely indicates the definition and meaning of the word “FEAR”, which means AFRAID and TREMBLING before GOD.

Proverbs 24.21-22
21.My child fear the Lord and the king, and do not disobey either of them,
22.disaster comes from them suddenly and who knows the ruin that both can bring?

Isaiah 8.12-13
12."Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what it fears or be in dread,
13.But the Lord of hosts, Him you shall regard as Holy, let Him be your fear and let Him be your dread.
And here is a new word which defines FEAR is DREAD, not “love” or “respect”.

Jeremiah 5.22
22.Do you not fear Me? Says the Lord. Do you not TREMBLE before Me? I placed the sand as a boundary for the sea, a perpetual barrier that it cannot pass, though the waters toss, they cannot prevail, though they roar, they cannot pass over it.

Your substitutes for word FEAR do not fit at all in any of these passages, and here I presented only few of them out of many.
So, what is the definition of FEAR in the Bible, it is to be AFRAID of GOD, TREMBLE before Him, and DREAD Him.
And those who will accept the word FEAR as it written, which means FEAR THE LORD, TREMBLE before Him, and DREAD Him, then they should read verse below:

Proverbs 2.5
5.then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of GOD.

Acts 5.5-11
5.”Now when Ananias heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard of it.
11.And great fear seized the whole church and all who heard of these things.”
Whom you think people start FEAR, apostle Peter or GOD, Who took both souls for cheating the Holy Spirit? Or they just having better “respect” and “love” for GOD?

Romans 13.3-4
3.”Rulers are not a terror to good conduct but to bad. Do you wish to have no fear of the authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive its approval.
4.It is GOD’S servant for you good. But if you do what is wrong, you should be afraid, the authority does not bear the sword in vain! It is the servant of GOD to execute wrath on the wrongdoer.”
Here Paul compares earthly authorities to GOD, urging Christians to fear the Lord as they fear their own authorities, both of them carrying the sword of punishment, and in this case there is no room for respect or love, but FEAR.

First Peter 1.17
17.If you invoke as Father the One Who judges all people impartially according to their deeds, live in reverent fear during the time of your exile.
As this verse also specified, FEAR belongs to justice, discipline, and punishment

Revelation of John 14.6-7
Vision of John
6.Then I saw another angel flying in mid Heaven with an eternal Gospel to proclaim to those who live on the Earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people.
7.He said in a loud voice, ‘Fear GOD and give Him glory, the hour of His judgment has come, and worship Him Who made Heaven and Earth, the sea and the springs of water.’

Someone presented this verse as an argument against fear.
1John 4.18
18.There is no fear in love but perfect love casts out fear, fear has to do with punishment and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love.

Concerning love, indeed it has nothing to do with fear, just like salt does not contain sweetness, and light darkness, so and love has no fear when we love the Lord.
But when we sin, we should fear the Lord, and despite the fact that He loves us and we love Him, He would not leave anyone unpunished.

So Fear belongs to justice, punishment, and discipline.
Love belongs to blessings, mercy, compassion, forgiveness, Sacrifice of Christ, and all other goodness which the Lord GOD provided for us, and two have practically nothing in common, because they relate to completely different issues and subjects.

Another word, when we blessed and saved, we love the Lord, but when we sin and do wrong, we shall fear Him because He will do justice upon us according to His Word.

Alex

Sorry, but I believe my words where misunderstood.

I'm agreeing with both of you.

we are to fear and tremble before The Lord, to respect Him.

Not a fear that drives us running like a force out to kill us, rather a force that we should make sure never to become the enemy of;)

-The Lowest Servant

Upvote 0

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟980,574.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT ON!!!!!

Closed permanently as this is a duplicate thread of another thread at the following link:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7862312/

Some of the posts here were also copied over there.

MOD HAT OFF!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.