FormerTweaker

Dec 3, 2016
California
✟20,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone else have their faith in God based highly off of fear of Hell?

I have love of Jesus for dying for me and creating me. And was first drawn to the gospel by something else than fear of Hell. It was hope he'd remove a demon from me and something else long and complicated.

But fear of Hell has kept me from sinning and straying from the faith more than all else. I dislike some doctrines in the Bible, but I obey to submit to God just because he's God and out of fear of Hell. Not out of love. Things such as serving others and serving God by helping others has grown on me and I now do out of love for others and Him. He caused a change of heart in me. I am all for loving everyone too even our enemies. I agree with most of the New Testament. But I don't agree with some things in the Bible and the main reason I obey or don't support others doing them is fear of Hell. Makes me wonder how much I love God since some things in the Bible seem unfair to me.

I feel I need to change. I want a love of God to permeate my actions. Has anyone else went through this? What did you do to change?

Psalms119

Jan 10, 2017
US
✟15,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Recently he has delivered me from some demons. I didn't believe it was possible. Afterwards i wanted to obey out of love for him, because i am not worth being delivered from what he took from me.

So give it a try. Ask for your sins to be revealed to you and for you to understand how horrible they are. Ask him to put it on your heart heavy because you want to know what wanting him because you love him is.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I don't agree with some things in the Bible and the main reason I obey or don't support others doing them is fear of Hell. Makes me wonder how much I love God since some things in the Bible seem unfair to me.
I can tell you only doing something because you fear hell is not always the best idea. You should be doing it because God commands it. Let me ask you, and I don't mean it offensively, did you become saved because you feared hell? Or because you truly believe in God, Jesus dying on the cross and want a better life?

I only ask because some I know only say they believe because they don't want to die and go to hell. Which is the wrong way to go about it.

With that aside admittedly I have been in your shoes. Where things don't always make sense/I don't agree with them in the bible. But in the end we must quiet that voice that tells us "Hey, that thing God says you shouldn't agree with!". And instead I focus on God and realize what He says is truth. I may not understand somethings we are to do since I am not God, but I accept them because He created everything. Who am I to question his morals/judgment/whatever you want to call it.

Look at marriage and divorce. Many believe in no divorce no matter what. Other believe in divorce for any number of reasons. Some of which aren't even in the bible. So people disagreeing with the something in the bible is common.

Actually look at all this a different way. Look at all those unbelievers that don't agree with anything in the bible and think its fake and are bound for hell. You may have some issues but at least you realized Jesus died on the cross and is essentially a life raft being thrown to you as a boat sinks your on. At least you knew that life raft would save you where as many would rather drown.

• Winner
Reactions: ADisciple
Upvote 0

tienkhoanguyen

non-denominational Christian
Dec 17, 2016
Houston, TX
✟1,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can tell you only doing something because you fear hell is not always the best idea. You should be doing it because God commands it. Let me ask you, and I don't mean it offensively, did you become saved because you feared hell? Or because you truly believe in God, Jesus dying on the cross and want a better life?

I only ask because some I know only say they believe because they don't want to die and go to hell. Which is the wrong way to go about it.

With that aside admittedly I have been in your shoes. Where things don't always make sense/I don't agree with them in the bible. But in the end we must quiet that voice that tells us "Hey, that thing God says you shouldn't agree with!". And instead I focus on God and realize what He says is truth. I may not understand somethings we are to do since I am not God, but I accept them because He created everything. Who am I to question his morals/judgment/whatever you want to call it.

Look at marriage and divorce. Many believe in no divorce no matter what. Other believe in divorce for any number of reasons. Some of which aren't even in the bible. So people disagreeing with the something in the bible is common.

Actually look at all this a different way. Look at all those unbelievers that don't agree with anything in the bible and think its fake and are bound for hell. You may have some issues but at least you realized Jesus died on the cross and is essentially a life raft being thrown to you as a boat sinks your on. At least you knew that life raft would save you where as many would rather drown.
I died for my family if you wanted to know! I was tested by the devil and lost. The devil put a question and a wager on me. He said 2 items that I passed. The third I lost. Be very careful because The Devil is crafty.

The third item I could not overcome and now it is too late. My only grace is that I get to live **feeling** happy each day that I go to church!

Upvote 0

FormerTweaker

Dec 3, 2016
California
✟20,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It's complicated but I came to have faith in God in general due to a demonic encounter. If they're real he must be. Demon then impersonated Jesus Christ. A fake version.

Then I started to develop faith in Jesus Christ of the Bible when trying to rid myself of the demon. Hoping he'd remove it I got into the Bible. I fully accepted the Bible as the word of God after seeing a sign performed in it. Believed Jesus talked to me 100% for a while. When I started to question the sign and who it came from due to a few factors, such as Jesus allowing the demon to make me hallucinate different words in the Bible than that shouldn't have been there, fear of hell became more of a motivating factor for faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Was the demon cast out in Jesus name? Did it leave? Remember perfect love casts out fear.

You need to trust God on this one. There is no question that He loves you. When you questioned, it was like the fear returned. When we have faith, (which is something we all learn to cultivate) we KNOW Jesus would never leave us nor forsake us. Why would Jesus allow a demon in you, that makes no sense!

Can satan cast out satan? See Mark 3:26 and Matthew 12:22-30

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly no, but I have an extremely feisty personality inwardly, even though 99% of the time I seem very meek on the outside. People who witness those 1% moments are usually pretty shocked, but those moments are representative of what is really going on in my heart and head more often than not.

That said, in years past even when I believed in God, and also believed in heaven and hell, my understanding of God was still so warped and ignorant that I thought of Him as a narcissistic nutcase just playing with an ant farm (humanity), and was still rebellious. It is truly something of a miracle and a testament to His mercy that I still came to be moved by the Holy Spirit and see the truth.

But, I do not regret the way things proceeded, either. I regret in terms of feeling guilt and repenting, yes, but I also can thank God for giving me such a feisty nature, that would result in my faith being very grounded and confident, and not fear-based, in the end.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Honestly no, but I have an extremely feisty personality inwardly, even though 99% of the time I seem very meek on the outside. People who witness those 1% moments are usually pretty shocked, but those moments are representative of what is really going on in my heart and head more often than not.

That said, in years past even when I believed in God, and also believed in heaven and hell, my understanding of God was still so warped and ignorant that I thought of Him as a narcissistic nutcase just playing with an ant farm (humanity), and was still rebellious. It is truly something of a miracle and a testament to His mercy that I still came to be moved by the Holy Spirit and see the truth.

But, I do not regret the way things proceeded, either. I regret in terms of feeling guilt and repenting, yes, but I also can thank God for giving me such a feisty nature, that would result in my faith being very grounded and confident, and not fear-based, in the end.
TurtleAnne:

Your comment reminded me of this hymn by N. von Zinzendorf:

"Jesu, Thy blood and righteousness,
My beauty are, my glorious dress,
Through flaming worlds, with these arrayed,
With joy shall I lift up my head."

I think this hymn well expresses the indivdual's faith triumph, amids the 'flaming worlds' that we may have come through in our personal experience.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel I need to change. I want a love of God to permeate my actions. Has anyone else went through this? What did you do to change?
Don't feel bad about your reasons. God takes anyone for any reason as long as they choose to follow him. The reason Jesus died is so that you could be with Him, which is a greater desire in him (because he loves you) than keeping his own life and peace.

People that have suffered much in this life can connect to wanting to stay out of hell. People that have experienced a good life can connect with wanting God's even greater blessings. You can't know in your heart what you have not experienced. It sounds like no matter how much you have been loved in your life, it has not impacted you the way you want. It is God who will change this. Do not worry. You just need to continue to follow him.

Here is a wise word:
Ask for your sins to be revealed to you and for you to understand how horrible they are. Ask him to put it on your heart heavy because you want to know what wanting him because you love him is.
because,

Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little.” (Luke 7:47, 1984 NIV)

God has never ever left or forsaken anyone. (It's they who forsake God.) Thank the Lord that because you choose him, it is impossible for you to go to hell.

But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” (Matthew 14:30-31, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Learn2live

Apr 2, 2014
✟15,402.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To question our own innermost intentions. What a vulnerable place to be. We have seen ourselves as truly who we are. Are we good in the eyes of God or do we lack and dwell in our own grandiosity. Do not be fooled my friends, for those who seem weak are strong and those who seem foolish are wise. Only the knower of hearts will know the truth that rests in each being.

But to ask the question, do I serve or love God for fear of hell. Are you a child my friend. Have you recognized what is important in your life or are you still wading with the wind. As heaven has its rewards and hell has its punishments, we can choose to disobey heaven for sake of saving a soul in hell. And befriending hell for the sake of loving one who has fallen. Only He who knows the truest of hearts will know.

I commend you, for have asking yourself, why is it I serve God. It is an answer that leads to a greater understanding, that you serve God first because you are told to, then because you want to, and finally because you realize you have always been within God's presence, even in your fallen nature.

Humanity, life is a passing. We are here today and gone tomorrow. Societies and civilizations come and go. From whence we came, we will go when we die. Yet the question is, what have we left behind, what have we caused to change. Question that and you will know what is important to you, you will understand the truth behind the word "serve" and the entity, God.

May all your paths lead you down the road destiny has written for you. May all find their paths to cross at the intersection. And may we all become enlightened to our true nature, to the true nature that has always been us, to the divine nature that is of God, by God, and for humanity.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ericguitarman

Apr 14, 2014
Arizona
✟15,302.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I have love of Jesus for dying for me and creating me. And was first drawn to the gospel by something else than fear of Hell. It was hope he'd remove a demon from me and something else long and complicated.

But fear of Hell has kept me from sinning and straying from the faith more than all else. I dislike some doctrines in the Bible, but I obey to submit to God just because he's God and out of fear of Hell. Not out of love. Things such as serving others and serving God by helping others has grown on me and I now do out of love for others and Him. He caused a change of heart in me. I am all for loving everyone too even our enemies. I agree with most of the New Testament. But I don't agree with some things in the Bible and the main reason I obey or don't support others doing them is fear of Hell. Makes me wonder how much I love God since some things in the Bible seem unfair to me.

I have more recently taken interest in this topic. May be I am just going wildly Liberal or may be the Church is slow to make doctrinal changes and accept new ideas. And I dont claim that I am right about this but it is some thing I think about a lot as I have lead a loose life to say the least. I always have good intentions but dont always make wise life choices....LOL!!! Here is what I think. When Jesus died on the cross he died for the sins of every one. So all mankind was saved...that includes ladies and children ...so ya know ....some people in this culture are offended by the word MANkind and prefer humans....what ever so here.... When you are born you are a clean slate. No sin, your saved. If you die now God will mercifuly bring you to heaven when your spirit departs. The same goes for young children may be into as late as Teens or Adulthood for some. Then there comes a time when you will choose to accept the light God has given to all mankind or reject it. Some far off tribes are rumored to have known about Christ but not able to put the story together and dont call him Jesus or even know his name but when they die. They go to heaven unless they have purposefully and willfully pushed the light out of their hearts. The same goes true for people who hear about him. Once they come to that cross roads if you will. They may either accept him and remain in the Book of Life, or reject him or the light given them whether they know or not. And when they reject him, God may try again. And again. and again.....and when it becomes solid that this person rejects Gods Love in Jesus Christ as having died, buried and rose again...ascended into the heavens.....when they reject the Christ as portrayed in Mel Gibson's most amazing move, the Passion...which I will not watch with out taking it very serious. I have watched it twice. Once because I needed to and once because my step dad needed to and I tried to make sure he saw it. For reasons of salvation yes. Once a person can look at the crucifixion, death, burial and resurrection and say Its bunk or I dont care... then I believe that they are in danger of having their names blotted out of the Book of Life. So....who thinks what. I am crazy? I am right? I am WRONG? Tell me and give me scripture to tell me. Again....no one starts out going to hell. If your afraid of going to hell then you are not going to hell.....lol....You only get blotted out when you reject him. Thats what I tend to think. Because Jesus died for the sins of every one in all of history for that matter. So there are dudes that lived in I dont know the far corner of the globe lets say 4000 years ago. And that dude is in heaven. Because of what he did with the light that was given to him. You either absorb light or reflect it. If you do both you are a blessing to all of us. No Hell unless reject Christ or the light that you did receive.

Upvote 0

wayfarersoul1978

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2014
Northern Eastern
Visit site
✟56,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Fear of God is never a bad thing. Think about if your were bad with your mother and your father came home and keep you in line. Human nature is weak and sinful. You will have your ups and downs with your faith. This is life like no process and you must keep in mind some years are better then others. Just do your best reapply your repenting and giving your life over Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

Brother Mike

Dec 15, 2008
Branson Mo United States
✟9,149.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Your not going to last long "Serving" God based on any fear of anything, including Hell.

Job feared that His children were Cursing God, so just in case, to make God happy He sacrificed animals out of fear of loosing His children, and fear that God might be unhappy with them.

That did not work out for Job either, Satan murdered his children.

Doing good for people is "OK" but nothing in scripture tells us everyone needs a place in our life and we should only be helping people if directed by the Holy Spirit or have a scripture. For example, I would not let another brother and sister go hungry (James) as for helping put your roof up, I would need to hear the Holy Spirit to do that, to pay your bill and so fourth. My money and time serve God and I am not moved by want, but by direction of the Holy Spirit.
You will wear yourself out trying to please God serving people.

Your already right with God, through faith in Christ Jesus, even without works, your faith makes you the righteousness of God. Now if God ask you to do something then do it, but otherwise, it's all good.

I don't have lots of time, if you want to pray with the wife and I, we pray 1/2 hour every morning Mon-Fri on skype and answer questions of people have them and we actually have the answer. Your welcome to join and get your half hour of God time in at least.

teachingforjesus@gmx.com
Mike H
Skype.

Anyone else can pray with us also if reading.

Upvote 0

beebert

Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
✟17,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have more recently taken interest in this topic. May be I am just going wildly Liberal or may be the Church is slow to make doctrinal changes and accept new ideas. And I dont claim that I am right about this but it is some thing I think about a lot as I have lead a loose life to say the least. I always have good intentions but dont always make wise life choices....LOL!!! Here is what I think. When Jesus died on the cross he died for the sins of every one. So all mankind was saved...that includes ladies and children ...so ya know ....some people in this culture are offended by the word MANkind and prefer humans....what ever so here.... When you are born you are a clean slate. No sin, your saved. If you die now God will mercifuly bring you to heaven when your spirit departs. The same goes for young children may be into as late as Teens or Adulthood for some. Then there comes a time when you will choose to accept the light God has given to all mankind or reject it. Some far off tribes are rumored to have known about Christ but not able to put the story together and dont call him Jesus or even know his name but when they die. They go to heaven unless they have purposefully and willfully pushed the light out of their hearts. The same goes true for people who hear about him. Once they come to that cross roads if you will. They may either accept him and remain in the Book of Life, or reject him or the light given them whether they know or not. And when they reject him, God may try again. And again. and again.....and when it becomes solid that this person rejects Gods Love in Jesus Christ as having died, buried and rose again...ascended into the heavens.....when they reject the Christ as portrayed in Mel Gibson's most amazing move, the Passion...which I will not watch with out taking it very serious. I have watched it twice. Once because I needed to and once because my step dad needed to and I tried to make sure he saw it. For reasons of salvation yes. Once a person can look at the crucifixion, death, burial and resurrection and say Its bunk or I dont care... then I believe that they are in danger of having their names blotted out of the Book of Life. So....who thinks what. I am crazy? I am right? I am WRONG? Tell me and give me scripture to tell me. Again....no one starts out going to hell. If your afraid of going to hell then you are not going to hell.....lol....You only get blotted out when you reject him. Thats what I tend to think. Because Jesus died for the sins of every one in all of history for that matter. So there are dudes that lived in I dont know the far corner of the globe lets say 4000 years ago. And that dude is in heaven. Because of what he did with the light that was given to him. You either absorb light or reflect it. If you do both you are a blessing to all of us. No Hell unless reject Christ or the light that you did receive.
So if one rejects the light one is damned? What if someone regret having rejected the light and wants forgiveness for it? Would he still be damned? I am NOT saying you do but Way too many Christians speak of God as an object. For example, since God is light and darkeness doesn't exist within him while hell is utter darkeness, doesn't that Tell us that hell exists from the point of view of man, så a consequense of not being where the light is, but from God's view, hell is non-existent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
Yes, this is me. I fear God's wrath. I know most Christians think it is wrong. But I don't understand why God created hell if he did not want us to fear. It doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

guibox

Jun 14, 2008
✟8,276.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Well, for the record, the bible does not teach an eternally burning hellfire of torture and damnation for lost souls. This doctrine is a twisting of the scriptures in their original language and a gross misunderstanding of how Greek and Hebrew are used. It also ignores the entire scope and meaning of salvation history. The doctrine of eternal hellfire is responsible for more atheism than anything else and it is unnecessary. It is contradictory to God's love and makes no sense from a cosmological, judicial, soteriological, theological and ethical standpoint. A faith built on fear is not a faith at all and the Bible says that perfect love casts out fear.

Upvote 0

beebert

Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
✟17,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, this is me. I fear God's wrath. I know most Christians think it is wrong. But I don't understand why God created hell if he did not want us to fear. It doesn't make sense to me.
Most people read the bible in a literal and non-spiritual way. They Believe or treat God as some sort of theocraric totalitarian judge who just loves to judge someone for their sins. God is NOT an object. He is subject and complete freedom. And he wants us to be free and love with freedom. Hell is when a human is incapable of coming out of himself. Hell is to be not where God is. The fatal mistake of Reading Everything by letter without penetrating the spiritual meaning behind things is fatal to christianity and a reason why so many reject the christian faith. God is freedom and love first and foremost. What happens when you reject freedom and love? This is a good rule; everyone who speaks objectively about and who speaks about doctrines and so on: stop listening to them, they limit God who is without limits. Don't listan to any calvinist preachers. They often have mind but Little heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

beebert

Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
✟17,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, for the record, the bible does not teach an eternally burning hellfire of torture and damnation for lost souls. This doctrine is a twisting of the scriptures in their original language and a gross misunderstanding of how Greek and Hebrew are used. It also ignores the entire scope and meaning of salvation history. The doctrine of eternal hellfire is responsible for more atheism than anything else and it is unnecessary. It is contradictory to God's love and makes no sense from a cosmological, judicial, soteriological, theological and ethical standpoint. A faith built on fear is not a faith at all and the Bible says that perfect love casts out fear.
+1

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
Most people read People in a literal and non-spiritual way. They Believe or treat God as some sort of theocraric totalitarian judge who just loves to judge someone for their sins. God is NOT an object. He is subject and complete freedom. And he wants us to be free and love with freedom. Hell is when a human is incapable of coming out of himself. Hell is to be not where God is. The fatal mistake of Reading Everything by letter without penetrating the spiritual meaning behind things is fatal to christianity and a reason why so many reject the christian faith. God is freedom and love first and foremost. What happens when you reject freedom and love?

That's a good question.

I guess I just don't understand God's love.

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

beebert

Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
✟17,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's a good question.

I guess I just don't understand God's love.
His love is his son. When you suffer, know he too has. When you feel unloved, know he has loved you. When you question the point of being alive, know that he shows you the purpose. Read about some orthodox Saints like Isaac the syrian, Seraphim of Sarov and Starets Silouan rather then preachers like John Piper and Macarthur. The orthodox Saints mentioned shows us christianity as a LIFE.

Upvote 0