Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I suppose I should answer my own question.

I have always felt most drawn to St. Felicity who was martyred in 203 AD with her mistress and several other catechumens in the circus of Carthage. It was the story of her martyrdom that spurred me to look into early Christianity (and then Orthodoxy).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
most definitely!

My 9 year old has a particular fondness for St. Michael, St. Nicholas, and St. Innocent (who he just learned about a couple of weeks ago in Sunday School).

St. Innocent was an amazing man!

Upvote 0

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
St John Maximovitch, St Isaac the Syrian, St Alexander of Svir, St Sergius of Radonezh, St Matrona, St Mary of Egypt, St Nikolai of Ohrid, St John Chrysostom, St Paul the Apostle, St Moses the Ethiopian, Saint Arcadius of Vyazma*.

As he is an obscure Saint, I'll post his brief life:

Saint Arcadius of Vyazma and Novy Torg was from the city of Vyazma of pious parents, who from childhood taught him prayer and obedience. The gentle, perceptive, prudent and good youth chose for his ascetic feat of being a fool-for-Christ. He lived by alms, and slept wherever he found himself, whether in the forest, or on the church portico.

His blessed serenity and closeness to nature imparted to the figure of young Arcadius a peculiar spiritual aspect and aloofness from worldly vanity. In church, when absorbed in prayer, St Arcadius often wept tears of tenderness and spiritual joy. Though he seldom spoke, his advice was always good, and his predictions were fulfilled.

An experienced guide, St Ephraim the Wonderworker of Novy Torg (January 28), helped the young ascetic to avoid spiritual dangers while passing through the difficult and unusual exploit of foolishness. After this the people of Vyazma witnessed several miracles, worked through the prayers of Blessed Arcadius, but the saint fled human fame and traveled along the upper Tvertsa River. Here St Arcadius shared the work with his spiritual guide St Ephraim, and with him founded a church and monastery in honor of the holy Passion-Bearers Boris and Gleb (May 2).

Entering into the newly-built monastery, St Arcadius became a monk and took upon himself the exploit of full obedience to his spiritual Father, St Ephraim. St Arcadius never missed Liturgy and he was always the first to appear for Matins together with his spiritual guide. After St Ephraim's repose (January 28, 1053), St Arcadius continued to pursue asceticism in accord with the last wishes of his Elder, dwelling in prayer, fasting and silence. After several years, he also fell asleep in the Lord (December 13, 1077).

In 1594, a chapel dedicated to St Arcadius was built in one of the churches of Vyazma. A combined celebration of Sts Arcadius and Ephraim was established by Metropolitan Dionysius in the years 1584-1587. The relics of St Arcadius, glorified by miracles of healing, were uncovered on June 11, 1572, and on July 11, 1677, they were placed in a stone crypt of Sts Boris and Gleb cathedral in the city of Novy Torg (New Market). In 1841, the left side chapel of Sts Boris and Gleb cathedral church was dedicated in honor of St Arcadius. The solemn celebration of the 300th anniversary of the uncovering of the holy relics of St Arcadius took place in the city of Novy Torg in July of 1977. He is also commemorated on August 14 and June 11 (Transfer of his relics).

Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
St. Spyridon, the fact that he was a humble Shepherd, yet at the same time a great Father of the Church defending her against Heresy with a clay tile.
St. Paraskevi, she is very close to our family and a most amazing Martyr of the Early Church.
St. Irene Chrysovalantou, I found her story amazing and continue to pray to her.
St. Nektarios, love him.
St. Stylianos, also very close to our family, he is a fervent protector and intercessor for young children.
Sts. Cosmas and Damian, I have a special love for these two brothers and feel a special connection to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rowan

You are my brethren ♥
Apr 13, 2006
Allendale, MI
Visit site
✟16,998.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
St. Mary of Egypt (patron), St. Katherine of Alexandria (for her purity and studiousness), St. George the Victor (he always has my back), child saints that lived very shortly on earth (including my older sister that did not make it to term), my guardian angel, Mother Maria of Paris (her writings are very down to earth and inspiring), St. Marina (she beat a demon with a hammer!), St. Brigid of Ireland, St. Vincent of Spain, St. John the Baptist...I really could keep going if you let me!

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
St Nektarios
St John Maximovich
St David of Evia
St Julia of Carthage
St Basil the Great
St John the Russian
Archangel Michael
St Xenia of St Petersburg
St Luke of Simferopol
St Efraim of Nea Makri
Sts Raphael Nicholas and Irene
St Paraskevi
St Spyridon
St Seraphim of Sarov
I could go on and on and on!

Upvote 0

Kreikkalainen

You can't spell or pronounce me
May 3, 2008
Here
✟16,001.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
St Ambrose of Mediolanum whose memory we celebrate today & St Mark of Ephesus... I guess what attracts me to both is their stance against secular powers. There's probably a little revolutionary inside me :D.

Actually I was asked this same question by a friend a couple of years ago & I gave the same answer. We went on to discuss a bit about Ambrose & how he penanced emperor Theodosius after the emperor had ordered the massacre of a few thousands of rioters in Thessalonica. A few months later, I found myself in Milan for a couple of days, just stopping over really. Having seen the main sights, I still had a few hours to kill before my flight, so I was just randomly walking around without any particular purpose. I ended up in San Ambrogio underground station, with San Ambrogio basilica nearby, where I had the chance to see the saint's relics (see, rather than venerate, because they are in a crypt unavailable for veneration, as catholics do I guess). I had no idea about the relics being there, or about the basilica & I definitely didn't go looking for them. It was probably a coincidence (define coincidence ;)) - but somehow I felt as if the saint said to me something like, alright young man, you've been talking about me & now you are passing by my city - won't you come and meet me? :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.