"From tiny experiences we build cathedrals."
Dec 9, 2016
Georgia
✟18,048.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
A friend and I are getting together next week to do some hardcore Christmas baking, so I thought I'd scout for some good recipes for us to try! What are your holiday favorites/family traditions/guilty pleasures? Bonus points for cookies! :thumbsup:

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Pumpkin Chocolate chip cookies
about 5 dz--depending on size

2 c AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c oil
1 1.2 c brown sugar
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin (not mix)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Grated zest of one orange
3 Tb molasses
2 c chocolate chips
Lightly grease, spray or line baking sheets with parchment paper. Wisk together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices. In mixer bowl, beat together the butter, oil, sugars, and molasses. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and best briefly, just until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time until fluffy. Add the pumpkin, vanilla, and orange zest, beating to blend. Slowly add the dry ingredients, beating to blend. Stir in the chocolate chips. Scoop into cookie sheets (about 1 1/4 inch balls).Bake at 375 about 16-18 minutes, edges will be lightly browned, slight indentation will remain when pressed in the middle. Remove from oven, cool on sheet about 5 min before transferring to racks to cool. May glaze with a regular vanilla glaze or a cream cheese frosting, or left plain, or dusted with powdered sugar.
This is one of those love them or don't like them type of cookie. Made then one Christmas, 20 people went ape over them, 5 did not care for them. (peasants!)

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Carrot oatmeal cookies
about 6 dz

2 c AP flour
1/2 c dry milk powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 c butter
1 c brown sugar
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2 c shredded carrots
2 tsp vanilla
1 c raisins
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp allspice
1 1/2 c oats, old fashioned (not instant)
1 c chopped pecans
Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and vanilla, blending well. Combine flour, dry milk, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice and sift together. Stir into creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in raisins, carrots, nuts and oats. Scoop unto cookie sheets and bake at 375 for 10-12 min. until lightly browned. Let cool 1-2 min then transfer to cooling racks. These are really awesome when frosted with cream cheese frosting. Or I've made them a little smaller and made sandwich cookies with the cream cheese frosting. That way you don't have to worry about only having one layer when serving or transporting. This one, nobody did not like them.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
BROWNED BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

3 doz 6 doz

8 oz butter (1 c) 16 oz

1 ice cube 2

12 oz flour (2 1/4) 24 oz

3/4 tsp soda 1 1/2 tsp

1 tsp salt 2 tsp

5 oz sugar (3/4 c) 10 oz (1 1/4 C)

2 eggs 4

2 tsp vanilla 4 tsp

5 oz brown sugar (1/2 c + 2 Tb) 10 oz (1 1/4 C very firmly packed)

8 oz chocolate chips 16 oz-----actually better with the chunks instead of chips

Brown butter over med/hi heat till golden brown--about 10 min. Remove from heat and stir to cool and prevent sticking. Cool slightly and wisk in ice (will boil over if butter is too hot!). Cool for 20 min. In bowl, wisk together flour, soda, and salt and set aside. In mixer bowl, with wisk beater, wisk in eggs, white and brown sugars, and vanilla on med. speed until pale and falls off wisk in thick ribbons when lifted--about 8 min. Switch to flat beater. Add flour and mix on low speed for 15 seconds. Add choc. chips and mix 15 seconds longer. Make sure everything mixed but do not overbeat. Refrigerate overnight--or up to 3 days. Use a 1 inch scoop, you can get 20 balls on a large cookie sheet. Let come to room temperature before baking. Bake at 325 for about 13 min. Cool 2 min before removing from cookie sheet. Place into plastic bag and seal tightly when cooled--store while still a little warm and they will remain soft. If crisper cookies wanted, let cool thoroughly before storing. If using the 1/4 c scoop, bake for about 16 min.

Never tried them with coconut--and I love coconut---just add some shredded coconut in with the chips I would think.
I used this recipe and added 1/2 C cocoa, 2 Tb black cocoa, 1 Tb espresso powder---(I think, house flooded when water heater broke and we ended moving out for 3 mths and I forgot to write things down, so going by a 64 year old brain)---I then replaced the chips in one batch with peanut butter chips, one batch I made with white chocolate chips and a third one with the chocolate chips. I do believe I increased the sugar by around 1/4C as the cocoa adds a touch of bitterness. I usually make the double batch and then freeze as hubby is totally addicted to these. The black cocoa is hard to find, (I get it at King Arthur Flour)but really adds a lot, the espresso increases the choc flavor and color.

This seems complicated at first, but it really isn't. I might add that I only use turbinado sugar so do not know how white sugar would act. You can not go by color on the chocolate ones as they are very dark---I suggest for either the choc chip or the choc/choc that you bake a test cookie first. I also prefer to form the cookies unto the cookie sheets before I refrigerate as the dough does harden up and makes forming very difficult unless you let them sit for a long time---just before baking I will let them sit for just around 5-10 min. Coldness of the dough does make a difference on how the cookies spread out. The warmer, the more they spread, if too warm you end up with one cookie sheet sized cookie!! Yes, I was dumb enough to do that 'cause I was in a hurry!

Changed to read 1/4 C instead of just 1/4 on adding the extra sugar to the choc/choc.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
A friend and I are getting together next week to do some hardcore Christmas baking, so I thought I'd scout for some good recipes for us to try! What are your holiday favorites/family traditions/guilty pleasures? Bonus points for cookies! :thumbsup:

Are you interested in an eggnog pumpkin pie recipe?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Gingered Pear Cake
enough for 2 9x13 in. pans
Mix and sift the dry ingredients, and set aside.
4 c AP flour
1 c cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tb cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp black cocoa

Wet ingredients, mix well and set aside.
3/4 c cream
3/4 milk
2 tsp vanilla

6 Tb butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1 C sugar
6 c peeled, cored and diced fresh pears
maraschino cherries, cut in half

Mix the melted butter and brown sugar and spread on bottom of baking dish.
Place a cherry in about the center of each serving (depends on how big you want the pieces) Arrange the diced pears on top of the cherries and spread evenly being careful to not move the cherries.
Set aside.

1/2 c shortening or butter (butter is better--or butter flavored shortening)
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c sugar
4 eggs

Cream the butter with the sugars till light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the wet, beating well. Spread evenly over the pears. Bake in a 350 oven for 45-60 min.(that is for one big dish, might be less if dividing into smaller 9X13 in pans) Till tester comes out clean. Cool 6 min and run knife around edges, then turn out unto a serving dish so cherries are now on top.
Topping:
8 oz cream cheese
16 oz Whipped topping---or freshly made
4 Tb softened butter
1/2 c powdered sugar, sifted
cream
finely chopped candied ginger (depends on how much you like ginger! I used quite a bit but have no exact measurement)
Beat the softened cream cheese with the butter until smooth and well mixed, slowly add the powdered sugar. If too dry, add a little cream to get the right consistency. Gently fold in the whipped topping till evenly mixed. Serve the cake with a large dollop of the topping and top with the candied ginger. Best if the cake is just a little warm.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
MOLASSES GINGERBREAD CAKE
⦁ 2 cups ⦁ all-purpose flour
⦁ 1⁄4 teaspoon ⦁ baking soda
⦁ 2 teaspoons ⦁ baking powder
⦁ 1⁄2 teaspoon ⦁ ground cloves
⦁ 1 tablespoon ⦁ ground ginger
⦁ 1/4 tsp nutmeg
⦁ 1 teaspoon ⦁ ground cinnamon
⦁ 1⁄2 teaspoon ⦁ salt
⦁ 1⁄2 cup ⦁ unsalted butter
⦁ 1 cup ⦁ boiling water (or ginger beer)
⦁ 2 ⦁ eggs, beaten
⦁ 1 1⁄2 cups ⦁ molasses
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Using a wire whisk, blend in the spices and salt. Melt the butter in the boiling water and whisk mixture into the flour mixture. Add the eggs and molasses and whisk until blended.
3. Turn into a buttered and floured 8x8 inch baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until done and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream sprinkled with finely chopped candied ginger.

Upvote 0

johndoo

Mar 5, 2013
✟60,389.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Wow. Thanks

⦁ 1/4 tsp nutmeg
⦁ 1⁄2 teaspoon ⦁ salt
⦁ 2 ⦁ eggs, beaten
⦁ 1 1⁄2 cups ⦁ molasses
2. Sift the flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Using a wire whisk, blend in the spices and salt. Melt the butter in the boiling water and whisk mixture into the flour mixture. Add the eggs and molasses and whisk until blended.
3. Turn into a buttered and floured 8x8 inch baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until done and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream sprinkled with finely chopped candied ginger.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

johndoo

Mar 5, 2013
✟60,389.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
⦁ 1/4 tsp nutmeg
⦁ 1⁄2 teaspoon ⦁ salt
⦁ 2 ⦁ eggs, beaten
⦁ 1 1⁄2 cups ⦁ molasses
The cake was a success.
Thanks again.
had to substitute a bit of brown sugar for the molasses when I ran out but worked fine.

Reactions: Rhapsody
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Pumpkin Chocolate chip cookies
about 5 dz--depending on size

2 c AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c oil
1 1.2 c brown sugar
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin (not mix)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Grated zest of one orange
3 Tb molasses
2 c chocolate chips
Lightly grease, spray or line baking sheets with parchment paper. Wisk together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices. In mixer bowl, beat together the butter, oil, sugars, and molasses. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and best briefly, just until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time until fluffy. Add the pumpkin, vanilla, and orange zest, beating to blend. Slowly add the dry ingredients, beating to blend. Stir in the chocolate chips. Scoop into cookie sheets (about 1 1/4 inch balls).Bake at 375 about 16-18 minutes, edges will be lightly browned, slight indentation will remain when pressed in the middle. Remove from oven, cool on sheet about 5 min before transferring to racks to cool. May glaze with a regular vanilla glaze or a cream cheese frosting, or left plain, or dusted with powdered sugar.
This is one of those love them or don't like them type of cookie. Made then one Christmas, 20 people went ape over them, 5 did not care for them. (peasants!)

I would LOVE those!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
⦁ 1/4 tsp nutmeg
⦁ 1⁄2 teaspoon ⦁ salt
⦁ 2 ⦁ eggs, beaten
⦁ 1 1⁄2 cups ⦁ molasses

That's almost like my late MIL's recipe and I think gingerbread is heavenly!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Gingered Pear Cake
enough for 2 9x13 in. pans
Mix and sift the dry ingredients, and set aside.
4 c AP flour
1 c cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tb cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp black cocoa

Wet ingredients, mix well and set aside.
3/4 c cream
3/4 milk
2 tsp vanilla

6 Tb butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1 C sugar
6 c peeled, cored and diced fresh pears
maraschino cherries, cut in half

Mix the melted butter and brown sugar and spread on bottom of baking dish.
Place a cherry in about the center of each serving (depends on how big you want the pieces) Arrange the diced pears on top of the cherries and spread evenly being careful to not move the cherries.
Set aside.

1/2 c shortening or butter (butter is better--or butter flavored shortening)
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c sugar
4 eggs

Cream the butter with the sugars till light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the wet, beating well. Spread evenly over the pears. Bake in a 350 oven for 45-60 min.(that is for one big dish, might be less if dividing into smaller 9X13 in pans) Till tester comes out clean. Cool 6 min and run knife around edges, then turn out unto a serving dish so cherries are now on top.
Topping:
8 oz cream cheese
16 oz Whipped topping---or freshly made
4 Tb softened butter
1/2 c powdered sugar, sifted
cream
finely chopped candied ginger (depends on how much you like ginger! I used quite a bit but have no exact measurement)
Beat the softened cream cheese with the butter until smooth and well mixed, slowly add the powdered sugar. If too dry, add a little cream to get the right consistency. Gently fold in the whipped topping till evenly mixed. Serve the cake with a large dollop of the topping and top with the candied ginger. Best if the cake is just a little warm.

Humor Cupcake.jpg

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I would LOVE those!!!!!!

I am soooo glad I posted these on here---Some idiot computer tech wiped out over 30 years worth of recipes I had laboriously recopied into my computer from millions of scraps lf paper and from years of researching old books back before computers were the thing--I had to spent hours in the Libraries--and this idiot wiped them all out!!!! I felt raped!! Sooooooo angry---there was a bunch of family history in that file also--thing is, he never had to even touch that file to fix the mail account!! At least I get these back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums