✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello:

Not sure if this is the right place, but I was hoping to get peoples favorite meal prayers. The one I use sounds too formal in some settings, it is from "The Book of Common Prayer".
It is: Give us grateful hearts, our Father, for all thy mercies, and make us mindful of the needs of others: through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Any favorites out there?

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟14,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My family usually starts with something like "Dear Lord, thank your for this food and..." The rest is different each time. A mixture of thanks, prayer for others, asking for help or guidance, etc. One person prays each night (the four of us take turns). It has been a treat to see my kids develop their own style of prayer over the years.

Upvote 0

singpeace

Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Jacks,

God does not want to hear fancy words or a formula of speech. He isn't impressed with that at all. He wants my heart just as I want my son's heart. I just say what I feel or think at the time... sometimes just, "Thanks, Dad." Other times I do feel a great reverence and will bow my head and humbly thank him for providing for me. What pleases him is a genuine real kid.

Sometimes I don't remember to say grace and just eat. If I think about it later, I look to him and He sees my heart. I know that God isn't angry with me. My child doesn't need to thank me every time I feed him. But, he knows mom likes to hear it once in a while.

I believe Father God is like us and glad to provide for his children. He likes to hear thank you once in a while, too. He is so easy to please... so easy to love. We are safe with him no matter what.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The eyes of all wait upon thee, O Lord.
And thou givest them their meat in due season.
Thou openest thine hand and satisfies the desires of every living creature. Lord God, Heavenly Father bless these thy gifts
which we are about to partake,
In Jesus name, Amen.

I am not bound to either a formal or an impromptu, I love them both so long as their words are meaningful.

Upvote 0

GaryP

Apr 28, 2009
✟8,966.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Private
My opinion: The worst thing that a person can do, is to recite a prayer from the mind
of another creation. This is to include prayer books or canned prayer, it has to come from the heart.

As these are merely scripts and they steal something from a person's soul.
As they are the words of another.
I agree with Singpeace. ]

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you all for the replies. I agree with many of you who say the prayer should come from the heart. When I'm alone, that is what I do. But the truth is often I'm a bit shy about saying grace with new people, so I like to have at least a basic outline so I don't get stage fright! :pray: That may sound silly but it's true.

Thank you again,
jacks

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,869.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well I was very surprised to hear the entire congregation doing a prayer when we had Easter breakfast (we missed the year before since they started an hour earlier and it wasn't posted in the bulletin).

It went something along the lines of

Come Lord Jesus be our guest, let this food to us be blessed. Amen.

I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To get our daughters started on the habit of saying Grace, my husband and I developed a short, easy one for them to remember:

Father God, Thank You for the food we are about to receive, and thank You for all the good things in our lives. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

We have told them to not just recite the words, but say it like you MEAN it. Recently we've asked the girls to add a little something, specific to them, before the closing.

When they get older, we'll encourage them to say their own.

(My father's favorite was always, "Thru the lips & over the gums...watch out, stomach, here it comes!") :D

Upvote 0