Favorite Church Architecture

B

bbbbbbb

Here is a rather curious new Ethiopian Orthodox Church building in Awasa, Ethiopia.

51876-ethiopian-orthodox-church-awasa-ethiopia.jpg

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,925.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Here is a rather curious new Ethiopian Orthodox Church building in Awasa, Ethiopia.

51876-ethiopian-orthodox-church-awasa-ethiopia.jpg

The classic domes with the modern concrete work quite well together! I like it!

The three domes, three doors and three gates certainly are very symbolic of the Trinity.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

The classic domes with the modern concrete work quite well together! I like it!

The three domes, three doors and three gates certainly are very symbolic of the Trinity.

Yes, I agree that this is a nice blending of modern with traditional. Orthodox architecture is replete with abundant symbolism such as you noted.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,925.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'll comp Listed: this is a delightul thread, and not least because of bbbbbbb's insightful comments. :)

Besides Aalto's churches, I do love our national shrine, Turku Cathedral.

Again, I suppose I'm very much partial. But this building means the world to me, so much more than the red tiles and granite or even the beautiful, beautiful white rib vaults that make it.

Like most great European cathedrals, it's a work in progress, a real smörgåsbord of centuries of architectural styles and trends, extensions and modifications, consecrated at 1300 but last modified only a few years ago.

Yet and still, displaying that certain something very Finnish or at least "Nordic": unassuming simplicity, "natural" pure white lines, stone, "light" birch wood & Nordic light of course -- this is a cathedral in the European peripheris, after all. And basically, our country's entire history carved in this one building, in display in this one great building. I'd like to think Aalto, too, drew his inspiration for his churches from right here and it's hard to see how could he not to. :)

316px-Turkucathedral.jpg

liitykirkkoon-tuomiokirkko.jpg

images

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

I'll comp Listed: this is a delightul thread, and not least because of bbbbbbb's insightful comments. :)

Besides Aalto's churches, I do love our national shrine, Turku Cathedral.

Again, I suppose I'm very much partial. But this building means the world to me, so much more than the red tiles and granite or even the beautiful, beautiful white rib vaults that make it.

Like most great European cathedrals, it's a work in progress, a real smörgåsbord of centuries of architectural styles and trends, extensions and modifications, consecrated at 1300 but last modified only a few years ago.

Yet and still, displaying that certain something very Finnish or at least "Nordic": unassuming simplicity, "natural" pure white lines, stone, "light" birch wood & Nordic light of course -- this is a cathedral in the European peripheris, after all. And basically, our country's entire history carved in this one building, in display in this one great building. I'd like to think Aalto, too, drew his inspiration for his churches from right here and it's hard to see how could he not to. :)

316px-Turkucathedral.jpg

liitykirkkoon-tuomiokirkko.jpg

images

Thank you for your compliment and for sharing with us some of the wonderful church architecture of Finland.

I agree that your national cathedral is truly outstanding and agree that it must have exerted some influence on Aalto.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

bbbbbbb

Also in St. Louis, our Sem., Concordia:

StLouis2%2B021.jpg

StLouis2%2B006.jpg

StLouis2%2B008.jpg

StLouis2%2B030.jpg

HDR_Arches.jpg

StLouis2%2B025.jpg

6a00d834515fe569e2014e8c17011b970d-320wi

StLouis2%2B032.jpg

StLouis2%2B040.jpg

Thanks for the photographs of Concordia Seminary. I find the turncated steeple to be quite curious. Also, the vaulting of the Gothic arches is interesting. At first glance, they appear to be made of Guastovino tiles, but on second glance it is obvious they are not. Do you know what they are made of?

In addition, the statue of Luther is identical to the one at Wartburg Seminary in my home town of Dubuque, Iowa.

56614230.jpg

card01129_fr.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,925.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the photographs of Concordia Seminary. I find the turncated steeple to be quite curious. Also, the vaulting of the Gothic arches is interesting. At first glance, they appear to be made of Guastovino tiles, but on second glance it is obvious they are not. Do you know what they are made of?

Local sandstone I believe, the same building material used for the shells of the buildings, but they are more weathered.

Not sure why the tower is the way it is, but I've been there, and It's massive and close to 200 feet tall!

In addition, the statue of Luther is identical to the one at Wartburg Seminary in my home town of Dubuque, Iowa.

Good thing they did not break the mould when they made Luther!:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:^_^^_^
SummaScriptura, I will take any of your churches any day over any of these - church made of bones - Google Search

Well, one could honestly say that one is surrounded by a "cloud of witnesses);)

I dont know if anyones posted Todao Ando's "Church of the Light."

0005.jpg

Not that I know of; please share!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0