Favorite Church Architecture

B

bbbbbbb

Knox Presbyterian Church in my City; Stratford, Ontario:

Stratford%5COntario%20Street%20-%20142%20-%20Knox%20Presbyterian%20Church%20-%2001.jpg

070803_StratfordON_tmb.jpg

The Chancel above is very "Reformed" in lay-out... but strange as it may seem, the south transept is a Chapel with an Ad Orientem Altar:confused:; not what one would expect in a Reformed Protestant Church... sorry, no photo; but here are some more of the interior: Knox, Stratford, Ont. | Presbyterian Record

Also of interest is the English-style entrance from the side rather than directly through the front facing the street. Most Presbyterian churches in the U.S. of that period did not have that sort of side entrance. There are a number of Scottish Presbyterian churches that have the side entrance, but it is not all that common.

I agree that the chapel is curious and am at a loss to explain it.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2011
✟8,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interior, outerior, or both.

basilica.jpg
15 The merchants of these things, who became rich by her, will stand at a distance for fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, 16 and saying, ‘Alas, alas, that great city that was clothed in fine linen, purple, and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls!

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Judson Memorial Baptist Church in New York City is one of the rare surviving ecclesiastical works of the famous architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White. It was constructed in 1892 with the cost underwritten by John D. Rockefeller. This was the first of Rockefeller's eccelesiastical endeavors with his later, and more famous, churches being Riverside Church, also in New York City, and Rockefeller Chapel on the campus of the University of Chicago.

Judson Memorial Baptist Church - New York City

Here is a webpage depicting the stained glass designed by John LaFarge - Judson Memorial Church

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Judson Memorial Baptist Church in New York City is one of the rare surviving ecclesiastical works of the famous architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White. It was constructed in 1892 with the cost underwritten by John D. Rockefeller. This was the first of Rockefeller's eccelesiastical endeavors with his later, and more famous, churches being Riverside Church, also in New York City, and Rockefeller Chapel on the campus of the University of Chicago.

Judson Memorial Baptist Church - New York City

Here is a webpage depicting the stained glass designed by John LaFarge - Judson Memorial Church

Some beautiful windows there.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Also of interest is the English-style entrance from the side rather than directly through the front facing the street. Most Presbyterian churches in the U.S. of that period did not have that sort of side entrance. There are a number of Scottish Presbyterian churches that have the side entrance, but it is not all that common.

Where the doors are were initially meant to be towers, but they were never built, the original structure had a spire which was struck by lightning, and resulted in a fire which destroyed all but the Chancel of the original Church (which is of yellow brick and is now used as an auditorium and Sunday School).

The doors in each "tower" have stairs which ascend to each end of the barrel vault narthex:
27.jpg

I agree that the chapel is curious and am at a loss to explain it.
...So are their members:D^_^;).

Tower entrances in 19th Cent. Presbyterian Churches in Ontario are the norm rather than the exception:

St. Andrew's (also in Stratford)
Presbyterian-Church-11910.jpg

Knox in Woodstock Ontario
450px-Knox_Presbyterian_Church_Woodstock_Ontario_1.JPG

St. Paul's PC Leaksdale ON.
church1.jpg

Knox, St. Thomas ON
church002.jpg

Knox, Leamington
Knox_church_summer_home_page.jpg

St. Andrews PC Toronto
StAndrews.jpeg

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Where the doors are were initially meant to be towers, but they were never built, the original structure had a spire which was struck by lightning, and resulted in a fire which destroyed all but the Chancel of the original Church (which is of yellow brick and is now used as an auditorium and Sunday School).

The doors in each "tower" have stairs which ascend to each end of the barrel vault narthex:
27.jpg

...So are their members:D^_^;).

Tower entrances in 19th Cent. Presbyterian Churches in Ontario are the norm rather than the exception:

St. Andrew's (also in Stratford)
Presbyterian-Church-11910.jpg

Knox in Woodstock Ontario
450px-Knox_Presbyterian_Church_Woodstock_Ontario_1.JPG

St. Paul's PC Leaksdale ON.
church1.jpg

Knox, St. Thomas ON
church002.jpg

Knox, Leamington
Knox_church_summer_home_page.jpg

St. Andrews PC Toronto
StAndrews.jpeg

All of your examples were constructed in the last decade of the nineteenth century (or perhaps in the first decade of the twentieth century). I noted the interesting and unusual keyhole door on the right side of Knox Presbyterian Church.

Do you know if earlier Presbyterian churches in Canada had the same sorts of plans? Here, in the 1850's there was a preference for a central steeple with doorway beneath it. After the Civil War, however, there was a shift to towers at the corners with the entrances there.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Muurame Church (1926-29) by Alvar Aalto. Modern yet timeless.

kirkko4.jpg

hae_kuva.aspx

This is one of the least-known churches by Aalto because it comes from his historicist phase. He is best-remembered as one of the pioneers of the International Style. This church is Romanesque Revival in style, but is stripped of all ornament, indicative of his initial steps in adopting Modernism.

Here is one of his best-known church buildings. What do you think of it?

Alvar AALTO - Riola Parish Church - YouTube

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟12,827.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is one of the least-known churches by Aalto because it comes from his historicist phase. He is best-remembered as one of the pioneers of the International Style. This church is Romanesque Revival in style, but is stripped of all ornament, indicative of his initial steps in adopting Modernism.

Here is one of his best-known church buildings. What do you think of it?

Alvar AALTO - Riola Parish Church - YouTube

You are preaching to the choir, my friend: I'm an Alvar Aalto fan. :) Actually, 95% of Finland is.

Form follows function here, perhaps? The interior arches of Riola clearly follow Aalto's trademark curves of the Artek (birch wood) furniture.

cid_2355569.150.jpg
images

Here in Aalto's native Finland, the Muurame Church is the architect's most famous church and far better known than Riola, which is perhaps more widely known internationally, and Aalto's two later "cross" churches, Lakeuden Risti (Cross of the Plains, 1957-59) and Ristinkirkko (Church of the Cross, 1979). Although the exterior of Muurame Church exhibits Aalto's early Nordic interpretation of the Italian classicism -- the loggia especially, not found in trad. Finnish (church) architecture -- the clean-line Nordic white & light wood interior is already very much "trademark Aalto style."

images

Compare to the Lakeuden Risti/Cross of the Plains Church 30 years later on:

300px-004_Lakeuden_Risti_alttarisuunta.JPG

It's all there already, the "clean" lines and windows and all. I.e. the "stuff" that appeals to me, aesthetically. :wave:

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

You are preaching to the choir, my friend: I'm an Alvar Aalto fan. :) Actually, 95% of Finland is.

Form follows function here, perhaps? The interior arches of Riola clearly follow Aalto's trademark curves of the Artek (birch wood) furniture.

cid_2355569.150.jpg
images

Here in Aalto's native Finland, the Muurame Church is the architect's most famous church and far better known than Riola, which is perhaps more widely known internationally, and Aalto's two later "cross" churches, Lakeuden Risti (Cross of the Plains, 1957-59) and Ristinkirkko (Church of the Cross, 1979). Although the exterior of Muurame Church exhibits Aalto's early Nordic interpretation of the Italian classicism -- the loggia especially, not found in trad. Finnish (church) architecture -- the clean-line Nordic white & light wood interior is already very much "trademark Aalto style."

images

Compare to the Lakeuden Risti/Cross of the Plains Church 30 years later on:

300px-004_Lakeuden_Risti_alttarisuunta.JPG

It's all there already, the "clean" lines and windows and all. I.e. the "stuff" that appeals to me, aesthetically. :wave:

The assymetry of the Riola church is really quite striking, which, as you pointed out, is related to other works of Aalto, including his trademark furniture.

Although the Muurame church is, doubtless, better known, I find it to be much less innovative than the Riola church. In some ways I think Riola is a response to Le Corbusier's Notre Dame du Haut at Ronchamp in France. I much prefer Riola to Ronchamp. What do you think?

Here is a Wikipedia link for Ronchamp - Notre Dame du Haut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟12,827.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The assymetry of the Riola church is really quite striking, which, as you pointed out, is related to other works of Aalto, including his trademark furniture.

Although the Muurame church is, doubtless, better known, I find it to be much less innovative than the Riola church. In some ways I think Riola is a response to Le Corbusier's Notre Dame du Haut at Ronchamp in France. I much prefer Riola to Ronchamp. What do you think?

Here is a Wikipedia link for Ronchamp - Notre Dame du Haut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Riola > Ronchamp, but then, surely I'm partial. :) The great Le Corbusier's chapel is more fortress/bunker-like with its small, deep loophole windows, whereas Aalto's interpretation is light & airy. Whilst modern, the high vault windows pay homage to the traditional European church architecture in form of a modern interpretation of the clerestory.

Aalto always paid special attention to the flow of natural daylight & windows, because daylight in his native Finland was and is a precious commodity for much of the winter. As opposed to the Continental/Southern European architects, more focused on shielding interiors of too much light & heat: consider Ronchamp's prominent eaves & narrow "controlled" window light vs. Riola's eaveless structure designed to "capture" light.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,630.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
All of your examples were constructed in the last decade of the nineteenth century (or perhaps in the first decade of the twentieth century). I noted the interesting and unusual keyhole door on the right side of Knox Presbyterian Church.

Just looking at that door, my guess would be that it was added later below what was a round window; it's just so out of character with the rest of the building that it looks a bit "goofy" to my eye;).

Do you know if earlier Presbyterian churches in Canada had the same sorts of plans? Here, in the 1850's there was a preference for a central steeple with doorway beneath it. After the Civil War, however, there was a shift to towers at the corners with the entrances there.
Central steeples, while there are a few (and those seem to be big Churches in big cities) they were far more common in Lutheran, Catholic and Anglican Churches... I wonder if they avoided what may have been viewed as "Catholic" architecture (most Presbyterian Congregations had very strong affiliations with the Orange Lodge, and the few Lodges that remain are predominantly Presbyterian).

Most early Presbyterian Churches were plain, and looked more like schoolhouses, some had a bell, but it was usually in a cupola on the roof, not a steeple:

Thames Road (Avonbank), six miles from where I live.

Thames-Road-Church-150x117.jpg

Eden Mills, near Guelph Ontario:
edenmills_pres.jpg

Knox Magnatewan Ontario
Presbyterian%20Church.jpg

First St. Paul's Presbyterian, Hamilton Ontario.
450px-St_Pauls_Presbyterian_Church_Hamilton_Ontario_2009.jpg

There were good stone masons in Hamilton; RC Cathedral of Christ the King:
cathedral-of-christ-the-king-hamilton-ontario-13.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Riola > Ronchamp, but then, surely I'm partial. :) The great Le Corbusier's chapel is more fortress/bunker-like with its small, deep loophole windows, whereas Aalto's interpretation is light & airy. Whilst modern, the high vault windows pay homage to the traditional European church architecture in form of a modern interpretation of the clerestory.

Aalto always paid special attention to the flow of natural daylight & windows, because daylight in his native Finland was and is a precious commodity for much of the winter. As opposed to the Continental/Southern European architects, more focused on shielding interiors of too much light & heat: consider Ronchamp's prominent eaves & narrow "controlled" window light vs. Riola's eaveless structure designed to "capture" light.

I quite agree with you. I have always found Ronchamp to be heavy and depressing. Brutalist architecture is called that for a very good reason - it is heavy and brutal. Riola, on the other hand, is really very moving and delightful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

bbbbbbb

Actually, I have posted three times on this thread about the Frauenkirche in Dresden. A quick search on the thread will pull up my posts.

Regardless, it is well worth seeing again.

Mark, what do you think of it? It is certainly far from a standard form for a liturgical Lutheran church, although in good company with Baroque churches, both Lutheran and Catholic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't think anyone's mentioned Dresden Frauenkirche.

It was destroyed during the war but reconstructed, and finally reconsecrated in 2005.

Frauenkirche Dresden: Reconstruction
Dresden Frauenkirche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

780px-Frauenkirche_interior_2008_001-Frauenkirche_interior_2008_009.jpg

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Also in Dresden, the RC Cathedral

450px-Dresden_Hofkirche_abends_%282005%29.jpg

Your photograph gives the illusion that this is a relatively typical Baroque church with a lineal plan and tower. However, the following photograph shows that the cathedral is symmetrical with rounded ends and towers at both ends. Although this is not as radical as the round Frauenkirche, it is definitely a break from previous tradition and, possibly a reversion to early Romanesque forms which had apses at each end.

Catholic Cathedral from Dresden HD Wallpapers for fullscreen and widescreen desktop background! Wallpaper, wallpapers, computer, car, game, windows, girl, movie, digital art, smartphone.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Upvote 0