The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, look at it this way, if Jesus wasnt anymore impressed by the outward adornment of physical temple (or buildings) as his disciples were (at first) impressed by them... perhaps (just as we) His temple (now) shouldnt let our adornment be outward either anymore (more modest) or less "showy" in same respect.

Reactions: Stryder06
Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, look at it this way, if Jesus wasnt anymore impressed by the outward adornment of physical temple (or buildings) as his disciples were (at first) impressed by them... perhaps (just as we) His temple (now) shouldnt let our adornment be outward either anymore (more modest) or less "showy" in same respect.

What makes you think he wasn't impressed? Perhaps he merely saw it as his due? Have you read a verse in which Christ said: "I think the Temple ornamentation ordained by My Father is unsightly"?

Why shouldn't we in addition to our inward ornamentation show honor to God through outward ornamentation?

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why shouldn't we in addition to our inward ornamentation show honor to God through outward ornamentation?
Because these outward ornamentations only speak to the wealth greatness that we wish to prove to each other. What example did Jesus ever give to show us God wants or would have us to Choose outward ornamentation over that of works or inner workings that bring God glory?

How Did our lord live when he was among us? Did he live in the greatness and wealth His society would have allow Him? Or did He take what He had, and put it all back into His community?

If We spent millions and even billions (collectively) constructing these.. Buildings, then how are we to use that same money in the manner Jesus and the rest of the NT demonstrates?

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think he wasn't impressed? Perhaps he merely saw it as his due? Have you read a verse in which Christ said: "I think the Temple ornamentation ordained by My Father is unsightly"?

No His words show the disciples being very impressed

He just said...

Luke 21:6 As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Though here seems to be where its less significant

Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

Are we not the temple of God wherein His Spirit dwells?

1Cr 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

He appears to take greater interest in this one, The apostles even speak of letting our adornment (His temple) not be outwardly but if it be, modesty seems to fit the bill.

Either way theres stones of a carnal temple and we as living stones of a spiritual temple

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's me in front of one on my favorite churches. :holy:
sedona008.jpg

Here's a view from the inside.

stb036.jpg

Behold the miracle of the floating sideways transparent stud!

:crossrc:

Oh my gosh flying buttresses!

*Begins postulating on the theology of sacred space and light, the value of the Cathedral as a civic center, a school, and an iconographic education in theology for illiterate peasants, and the need to revive the Gothic style in modern church architecture*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Exeter Cathedral.
Exeter Cathedral | Home

Lived there fore 15 years and it never ceased to take my breath away, yet could also be very intimate and familiar.

And also my local district church at that time - an ugly 1950s building on the outside, but a beautiful simplicity of line and form on the inside. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to hand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Have some photos of my own church but how do you upload personal photos - they come out as 'thumbnails'.
You're lucky; I wouldn't regard my church as favourite architecture - it's a hideous concrete monstrosity lacking almost any redeeming feature aesthetically or practically.

Upvote 0