Favorite Christian books (other than the Bible)

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Leah, I'm a Dr. R C Sproul fan, for sure, and his books such as Faith Alone, The Holiness of God, Chosen by God, Pleasing God, The Consequences of Ideas, and Willing to Believe, are just a few of them that I would recommend to anyone to take the time to read.

Like you, I love Lewis' Screwtape Letters, and am also a huge fan of his Mere Christianity as well.

I like most books by Dr. J I Packer, in particular, his book called Knowing God, which has perhaps the most impressive list of Christian authors, lecturers, pastors, musicians, and theologians who pay tribute to it as something they have read or read over and over again and found highly worthy of recommending to others. I also love and often use his little book called, Concise Theology. If you are looking for something to reference about all things theological, this is a great little book to have at your disposal. Not a bad read in and of itself either.

I will also HIGHLY recommend an autobiography by missionary Bruce Olson called, Bruchko. Bruce started out in the States as a teenager with no training, no church, missions organization, or parental backing, financial or otherwise, and simply followed the Lord's lead to a tribe of stone age indians in the jungles of Venezuela called the "Motilone". Before Bruce arrived, the only contact we had with them were the dead oil company employees we pulled out of the Motilone part of the jungle. No one even knew what they looked like. To make a long story short, this teenager managed to live long enough to not only befriend them, but among other things to see the Bible translated into their unwritten "tonal" language, and to see nearly the entire Motilone people come to Christ (Olson learned their language, wrote it down and taught them how to read and write, then translated the Bible into it). There is so much more to this book and to this amazing man and his life, but I don't want to spoil it for you. You will laugh, you will cry, and I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be able to put it down. I love this book (can you tell .. ^_^)

There are so many more, but after that I think I'd better stop .. ;) The books in bold would be my top recommendations for you, but all of them are great reads.

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I also love Dekker, especially Blessed Child and A Man Called Blessed (the sequel), both written with the late, great Bill Bright.

For romance, The Begotten By Lisa T. Bergren. I think it has at least one sequel, but I haven't found them.

For advocating women's ministry and the general dignity of women, there are several, but I will recommend Fashioned to Reign by Kris Valloten.

Also recommended, Keep Your Love On by Danny Silk (on relationships) and Shattered Dreams by Larry Crabb.

Some of my all-time favorites.. Hind´s Feet on High Places, Confession (Tolstoy), and Created for Influence by Will Ford III.

Extremely eclectic collection, and the list goes on, but I will stop for now.....

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope this is the correct area for this question.

What is your favorite non-Biblical Christian book or books?

I enjoy reading Saint Augustine's Confessions, Dante's Divine Comedy (all three parts) and The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis.

I am curious what Christians read, as far as Christian books (other than the Bible, of course).

I will ask everyone to refrain from saying anything about people's reading choices. I certainly will not be replaying since I am asking what you read. Once you state what ever it is I see no reason to contest, question or debate the issue.

Thank you for your time.

The Screwtape Letters is my second favorite book. :thumbsup:

Peace

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You already mentioned St. Augustine's Confessions, but I'd second that as a fantastic piece of Christian literature.

As far as Patristic literature goes, the letters of St. Ignatius (written c. 107 AD) are great. They are largely pastoral in tone, as Ignatius was the bishop of Antioch. They are letters addressed to churches which he wrote while being taken--in chains--from Antioch to Rome to face trial on the charge of being a Christian. Perhaps most moving is his the letter he sent ahead to the church in Rome where he asks the faithful there not to try and stop his inevitable execution, but to allow him--old man that he was already--to face his end. He understood that what awaited him was death, but he embraces his own death with courage and faith. Writing that in facing this trial he will be able to truly call himself a disciple of Jesus. Ignatius also presents us with an important look into how the theological language of the apostles as found in the New Testament transitions into the theological language of the second century. Ignatius represents a keenly important transition from the apostolic era to the patristic era in Christian history. Not surprising considering that tradition maintains that Ignatius actually had heard the apostles preach, and one legend says he was one of the infants brought to Jesus to be blessed mentioned in the Gospels.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Early Christian Writings translated by Maxwell Staniforth which contains the epistles of St. Ignatius mentioned by Via Crucis. More info on this collection: Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers: Andrew Louth, Maxwell Staniforth: 9780140444759: Amazon.com: Books

The early Christian writings can also be found online here: Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church Fathers sift through those that are apostolic vs. apocryphal, at first at least to note consistent orthodox faith.

Upvote 0

AvidReader

Feb 10, 2015
✟15,131.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums