✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
jimmartinFBpost.png

Here is a transcript of Father James' remarks, in case the server hosting the image of his Facebook post goes down:

No issue brings out so much hatred from so many Catholics as homosexuality. Even after over 25 years as a Jesuit, the level of hatred around homosexuality is nearly unbelievable to me, especially when I think of all of the wonderful LGBT friends I have.

The Catholic church must do a much better job of teaching what the Catechism says: that we should treat our LGBT brothers and sisters with "respect, sensitivity and compassion."

But God wants more. God wants us to love. And not a twisted, crabbed, narrow tolerance, which often comes in the guise of condemnations, instructions and admonitions that try to masquerade as love, but actual love.

Love means: getting to know LGBT men and women, spending time with them, listening to them, being challenged by them, hoping the best for them, and wanting them to be a part of your lives, every bit as much as straight friends are part of your lives.

Love first. Everything else later. In fact, everything else is meaningless without love.

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
there is a lot of truth in what he has to say
Maybe. But most of the hate I see is from the gays, not at the gays. To say otherwise is disingenuous at the very least. How about calling for love from the gays?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Maybe. But most of the hate I see is from the gays, not at the gays. To say otherwise is disingenuous at the very least.
I can't say I've seen much from gays.
Given whats been done to gays in the past, I'm surprised its not more.

And if Christianity/Catholicism is what it claims to be, then Christians should be aiming rather higher than "not quite as bad as the other guy".

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I find it kind of interesting that he uses the word "admonitions"
because admonishing the sinner is seen as one of the basic spiritual works of mercy

but he is correct, everything has to be based in love
everything has to come from love, this is primary
and when we get our own egos wrapped up in this, we loose

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I love how he presumes to speak for "so many Catholics." Oh brother. Seems to me the good Father is just scratching a "pay attention to me!" itch.

I also believe there's far more hatred and lack of "tolerance" coming from so-called oppressed groups than those they point a finger to as their oppressors, often via unfounded stereotypes of Catholics/Christians/whoevers being these evil nasty bigots, which is typically either "proven" by cherry-picking isolated examples or just unfounded in general. But again the real problem isn't these whiners, it's the vast majority of America lazily/foolishly putting up with it. Whatever; I'm not. In fact I'm sick to death of this spittle.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟935,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who are these Catholics who hate gays? Where are they? I know LOTS of Catholics who are opposed to SSM. I'm one of them. I know NO ONE who hates gays. Stupid title. Stupid premise.

Upvote 0

outsidethecamp

Heb 13:10-15
Apr 19, 2014
✟3,811.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Who are these Catholics who hate gays? Where are they? I know LOTS of Catholics who are opposed to SSM. I'm one of them. I know NO ONE who hates gays. Stupid title. Stupid premise.

:amen:

I think if they can link "hatred" to Christians, then maybe they can cause the government to change the content inside Bibles or have them banned outright. I don't know, just speculating where this "hatred" thing is going.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I love how he presumes to speak for "so many Catholics." Oh brother. Seems to me the good Father is just scratching a "pay attention to me!" itch.

I also believe there's far more hatred and lack of "tolerance" coming from so-called oppressed groups than those they point a finger to as their oppressors, often via unfounded stereotypes of Catholics/Christians/whoevers being these evil nasty bigots, which is typically either "proven" by cherry-picking isolated examples or just unfounded in general. But again the real problem isn't these whiners, it's the vast majority of America lazily/foolishly putting up with it. Whatever; I'm not. In fact I'm sick to death of this spittle.
Amen. Couldn't agree more.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Maybe. But most of the hate I see is from the gays, not at the gays. To say otherwise is disingenuous at the very least. How about calling for love from the gays?
An example of such "hate" please?

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Well, I think the father's message is well written and I fully agree with him. He obviously has a better grasp on the meaning of 1 Corinthians 13 on love than most Christians I have met over the years. I have met more clanging cymbals and resounding gongs while I was still a Christian (and even today) than I did find Christians who actually represented the teachings of that bible chapter or the teachings of Jesus about loving others and other Christians or about not judging other people.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Who are these Catholics who hate gays? Where are they?

I've heard that Father James got a lot of hateful remarks directed both towards himself and towards gays in response to what he wrote. I don't have a Facebook account, but if you do, perhaps you can "friend" him and read the responses to what he wrote and judge for yourself. I haven't personally seen the responses, I'm just going by what I've heard, so you may want to go in and verify if Facebook is something you do.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've heard that Father James got a lot of hateful remarks directed both towards himself and towards gays in response to what he wrote. I don't have a Facebook account, but if you do, perhaps you can "friend" him and read the responses to what he wrote and judge for yourself. I haven't personally seen the responses, I'm just going by what I've heard, so you may want to go in and verify if Facebook is something you do.
Do you really believe the people making the "we don't hate gays" claims actually believe it themselves?

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I've heard that Father James got a lot of hateful remarks directed both towards himself and towards gays in response to what he wrote.

Oh, I bet he did, and I bet these remarks were extremely vile too.

I don't have a Facebook account, but if you do, perhaps you can "friend" him and read the responses to what he wrote and judge for yourself. I haven't personally seen the responses, I'm just going by what I've heard, so you may want to go in and verify if Facebook is something you do.

I have a Facebook account and I may just look him up.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
:amen:

I think if they can link "hatred" to Christians, then maybe they can cause the government to change the content inside Bibles or have them banned outright. I don't know, just speculating where this "hatred" thing is going.

Instead of worrying about how society may or may not react to the perception that some Christian groups and individuals use religion as a pretense for espousing hated and bigotry towards gays, perhaps we should instead worry about the hatred and bigotry that may exist and stamp it out as best we can in our own religious communities. After all, Christianity is in part supposed to be about having love in our hearts and trying to do the right thing, even if we technically have the right not to.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Instead of worrying about how society may or may not react to the perception that some Christian groups and individuals use religion as a pretense for espousing hated and bigotry towards gays, perhaps we should instead worry about the hatred and bigotry that may exist and stamp it out as best we can in our own religious communities. After all, Christianity is in part supposed to be about having love in our hearts and trying to do the right thing, even if we technically have the right not to.

In other words, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Do you really believe the people making the "we don't hate gays" claims actually believe it themselves?

Do you actually believe people supporting homosexuality and claiming to be Christian actually believe it themselves? Your answer is probably my answer.

Upvote 0