Fatal Ending to Ariz. Exorcism Response.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
PHOENIX (AP) - Officers responding to a report of an exorcism on a young girl found her grandfather choking her and used stun guns to subdue the man, who later died, authorities said Sunday.

The 3-year-old girl and her mother, who was also in the room during the struggle between 49-year-old Ronald Marquez and officers, were hospitalized, police said. Their condition was unavailable.

The relative who called police said an exorcism had also been attempted Thursday.

"The purpose was to release demons from this very young child," said Sgt. Joel Tranter.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8QMGN6O0&show_article=1&cat=0

Reactions: MsAnne

JGL53

Senior Veteran
Dec 25, 2005
Mississippi
✟14,276.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
PHOENIX (AP) - Officers responding to a report of an exorcism on a young girl found her grandfather choking her and used stun guns to subdue the man, who later died, authorities said Sunday.

The 3-year-old girl and her mother, who was also in the room during the struggle between 49-year-old Ronald Marquez and officers, were hospitalized, police said. Their condition was unavailable.

The relative who called police said an exorcism had also been attempted Thursday.

"The purpose was to release demons from this very young child," said Sgt. Joel Tranter.

Quote from the article: "...A bloody, naked 19-year-old woman who police later determined to be Marquez's daughter and the girl's mother was in the room, chanting "something that was religious in nature," Tranter said."

Ahhem - One more bit of evidence that Christopher Hitchens is right?

Reactions: platzapS
Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Apparently this was just an "improper" exorcism. The Catholic Church, in the year 2007, still maintains that some problems can be caused by demons. Pope John Paul II, in fact, performed three exorcisms during his papacy.

Exactly. Everyone knows Priests are the ones to handle such delicate tasks. God rest his soul for trying. Locking horns with the devil's minions is not a task for the layperson to try and tackle on their own.

Upvote 0

JGL53

Senior Veteran
Dec 25, 2005
Mississippi
✟14,276.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Exactly. Everyone knows Priests are the ones to handle such delicate tasks. God rest his soul for trying. Locking horns with the devil's minions is not a task for the layperson to try and tackle on their own.

Oh, yeah? You tell me where I can reliably find Satan in person, and I will strangle him with his own intestines after ripping them out - and I'm not scared of Satan's gay (eternal) life partner Saddam either.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Oh, yeah? You tell me where I can reliably find Satan in person, and I will strangle him with his own intestines after ripping them out - and I'm not scared of Satan's gay (eternal) life partner Saddam either.

Satan resides in Hell but he has been known to walk the earth as a hungry lion. He's a fallen angel so I don't think you could do much if any damage to him.

Be careful with bravado.

Upvote 0

CGL

Crazy Eight
Jul 4, 2007
Halifax, NS
✟9,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Look in the mirror, you'll be surprised at what you see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
yet another example of why exorcism is ridiculous. I have yet to see a case of exorcism that wasnt explainable by psychological issues or faking it. Are we really living in the year 2007? You'd think antiquated stuff like exorcism and creationism would have gone the way of the dinosaurs by now.

Upvote 0
T

Tenka

What worries me is that for a frighteningly large percentage of the population this man would only be considered incorrect by a matter of degrees, not intent.

It is possibly a bannable offence to say that a person who believes there are demons possessing people which can be expunged via physical abuse of the host is insane and likely dangerous, but for the life of me I cannot determine why this is controversial and not common sense.

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It is possibly a bannable offence to say that a person who believes there are demons possessing people which can be expunged via physical abuse of the host is insane and likely dangerous, but for the life of me I cannot determine why this is controversial and not common sense.
I think that the practice of exorcism should be at least regulated, i seldom like bans. I think that this practice left under the veil of religious freedom is exceedingly dangerous and there have to be limits and oversight on what can and can't be done. The limits i am talking about are safety specific, not intrusion on ritual, as silly as the ritual may be. No bodily harm.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2006
✟18,216.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are so many instances of demonic possession that no one can seriously say it does not happen. Google will give you thousands of incidents. However, this kind of thing must be handled by a professional. Removing a demon from the spirit is no less hazardous than removing a tumor. And the tumor won't usually turn around and try and attack the doctor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeraphymCrashing

Jun 21, 2007
✟16,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are so many instances of demonic possession that no one can seriously say it does not happen. Google will give you thousands of incidents. However, this kind of thing must be handled by a professional. Removing a demon from the spirit is no less hazardous than removing a tumor. And the tumor won't usually turn around and try and attack the doctor.

Here I am saying that demonic possession has never happened, and every case of exorcism is a case of abuse in the face of hysteria and confusion. There are no demons, there are only sick people (and the sick people aren't always the ones being exorcised).

This case in particular, that child needs to be removed from her mother, any mother who would allow someone to choke and attack their three year old daughter should not be a mother.

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Sad that such medieval supersticion still prevails even in countries which call themselves civilized!:sick:

Upvote 0
T

Tenka

LilGeorgiaPeach81 said:
There are so many instances of demonic possession that no one can seriously say it does not happen.
I am saying this now as seriously as is humanly possible, demonic possession does not happen but for the imaginations of those involved.
There are many reports of possessions but at the heart of every single case will be ignorant and hysterical religionists encouraged by fools or charlatans.

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
There are so many instances of demonic possession that no one can seriously say it does not happen.
Cite some specific examples that werent simply cases of tourrettes or other mental illness or faking and i will take this claim seriously.

However, this kind of thing must be handled by a professional. Removing a demon from the spirit is no less hazardous than removing a tumor.
How do you know that exorcism is a delicate procedure? if that's the case then why do different faiths that conduct exorcism have different rituals? Surgeries on one person is the same surgery that can be performed on another person.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are so many instances of demonic possession that no one can seriously say it does not happen. Google will give you thousands of incidents.

Google will also give me thousands of incidents of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens spotted big foot, been visited by vampires, talked with faires.... reality isn't a game of consensus.

Upvote 0