Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
"FAMILY First is reeling over a inappropriate contentography scandal involving one of its election candidates.
"Andrew Quah was disendorsed as a candidate and expelled from Victorian Senator Steve Fielding's pro-family party yesterday after the Sunday Herald Sun uncovered his indiscretions.
"Mr Quah, 22, had earlier admitted to posing for two images, one partly undressed and the other clutching his private parts, attached to an email circulating across the country.

"He said he could not rule out being responsible for producing a third image attached to the email featuring graphic shots of a man's genitalia.
"Mr Quah yesterday said he did not create the email nor had he written the text in it."

Read the news article: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22659872-2862,00.html

May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand why the FF is so big on the inappropriate content issue to be honest. I'd be very surprised if inappropriate content isn't an issue half the Christian male population struggle with.

Having said that I've forgotten what the FF said they would do with regards to inappropriate content except that it's a big issue

**runs off to check**

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
**runs back**

So basically FF are advocating that there be inappropriate content filters mandatories installed in libraries and having ISP bans on inappropriate content.

I don't have a problem with that policy, but as I have said before a lot of Christian males would have problem with inappropriate content. And in the secular society itself, you would argue that whilst inappropriate content may not be "tasteful" it's still widely accepted.

To me it's starting to feel like a lot of FF policy, a blanket response for the family which does not really deal with the real issue. Banning inappropriate content is not looking at the root issues of inappropriate content - lust, and changing cultural views of inappropriate content, sex, lust, woman, even man.

The problem of inappropriate content is much more than just demeaning to women, I would feel obviously child inappropriate content is a much more disgusting issue, but inappropriate content itself is a society reflection of how it views sex and relationships. Banning inappropriate content is not going to change those. If a kid can't get inappropriate content on the net, there will be some other way to do it.

Upvote 0

Labayu

Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,538.00
Faith
Christian
Banning inappropriate content is not going to change those. If a kid can't get inappropriate content on the net, there will be some other way to do it.

:sick:

So:

No point keeping crack illegal coz if a kid can't get crack in a shop there will be some other way to do it.

No point banning guns because if a kid wants to kill someone there will be some other way to do it.

No point banning child inappropriate content because there will be some other way to get it.

:doh:

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
On the inappropriate content issue - banning inappropriate content in its internet forms does not mean there are not inappropriate content magazines and soft-core inappropriate contentography available at newsagents. Look at advertisements used all over the place - sex sells. Reversing all those forms of inappropriate contentography and incorrect use of (mostly) female sexuality is not going to bring anyone closer to Christ.

My point was not that we shouldn't ban inappropriate content anyway - it seems a rather nice way of pulling votes by being hard line on something. But as I said initially a lot of Christians themselves do not have control over inappropriate content and list - and then of course a member of FF itself did not have control over. It comes out as hypocritical and stupid. Setting out blanket "Christian" rules in society does not bring anyone closer to a relationship with Christ. Especially when as Christians we aren't exactly sparkly clean on this issue either.

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personaly I do hope that FF get in the Senate: every independent vote counts to make the Senate a house of controll.
Going back to FF, they realy haven't got a true family policy. To 'shove religion down in peoples throat' is not a family help. To fight abortion, inappropriate contento, same sex marriage and so on - it's a run against the wall in our very liberal society.
For me doing something for families would mean for example to have 'finnishing schools' for our teenagers, with good maners, dancing, cooking sawing and more self respect and respect for others. teaching modesty, marriage education, make single income families possible, ensure that every Australian Citizen has a right for a job, and so on.
This are things no party promote, but it's the basic of a country. And sadly the church also doesn't help to form a modest, respectful society.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Personally, I do not object to inappropriate content as long as it ONLY features consenting adults and does not depict them having sex with kids, animals or the use of human excrement. That stuff is pretty off in my book.And I also do not buy into the lame, one-sided argument that 'inappropriate content degrades women'. Many women who have made inappropriate content have said it makes them feel liberated, whilst as a masculinist I also object to the sexual objectification of men in far more mainstream circumstances such as in videos that are played on Video Hits and sports where they are required to perform with their shirts off. I believe in equality for BOTH sexes. With that said, I think inappropriate content sites are not appropriate for display in places like public libraries or schools, or for use by rapists. The reality is however that a good 30% of the male population who view (and enjoy) inappropriate contentographic material tend to be males from the ages of 14 - 18, and there is little that society can do to stop them. I mean, I read soft inappropriate content stuff when I was a teenager and it certainly did not turn me into a crazed sex offender. Punishing boys for discovering their newly found sexuality does more harm than good, and this is why a lot of guys who have been subjected punishment end up being the very sort of people that both Christian and secular society despise when you come to think of it.Look at Prohibition: when the governments sought to make drinking alcohol a criminal offence back in the 1920's, it caused more social problems than when it was readily available. An incident like this has caused to me to lose my faith in conservative people and politicians altogether. Jimmy Swaggart was bad enough, but this fellow is the proverbial straw that's broken the camel's back.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Before people start the damnation and stuff I would write my thoughts.

I started watching inappropriate content when I was 13...it hasn't been good for me. There are some good threads in the men's section about this, and forgive me if I miss all of the wrongs of inappropriate contentography, I am coming from a male perspective about it.

You would be right in saying that young males aged 14-18 do look at inappropriate content. The thing with inappropriate contentography is it's a pack of lies. It has nothing to do with a real relationship, or anything to do with what sex is about. inappropriate contentography depicts a lie, and by encouraging our young men to watch that kind of stuff? That's what sex is meant to be - that's how we are suppose to look on women? That's how this society sees what women are? Why are there so many screwed up relationships and divorces? Surely because of relationships built on a pack of lies on what a relationship really is.

The damage it does on men is understated and astounding. inappropriate contentography is not just wrong because it objectives women, it's just creating fantasy to pleasure the body.

I can't explain why a woman in inappropriate contentography would feel liberated by the work she does, but I wonder if that's just propaganda you've been fed and regurgitated. No offence like, but that's what it sounds like.

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I started watching inappropriate content when I was 13...it hasn't been good for me.
In what way? Did it have a negative affect (if so what) or did it just not have a good affect (i.e. neutral)?

You would be right in saying that young males aged 14-18 do look at inappropriate content. The thing with inappropriate contentography is it's a pack of lies. It has nothing to do with a real relationship, or anything to do with what sex is about.
True but I don't think that many people who see inappropriate content actually think that it is an acurrate representation of real relationships either. We could go on to say that a large proportion of movies etc portray unrealistic relationships (though in different ways), so its hardly a unique attribute.

inappropriate contentography depicts a lie, and by encouraging our young men to watch that kind of stuff?
There is a difference between encouraging and not condemning, will some encourage most I suspect would be leaning closer to not condemning.

That's what sex is meant to be - that's how we are suppose to look on women? That's how this society sees what women are? Why are there so many screwed up relationships and divorces? Surely because of relationships built on a pack of lies on what a relationship really is.
Is the number of screwed up relationships increasing? There is probably little good data on divorce since it is confounded by it being more acceptable and financially viable for divorces to occur thus masking the affects of poor relationships.
Before any legal ban on inappropriate content you would have to show:
A. a causal relationship between inappropriate content and an inability to form healthy relationships
B. The relative risk must be significant
C. This leads to poor outcomes which detriment either the individual or society
D. The damaging affects is large enough to disregard the autonomy of citizens.
E. A ban could be effectively enforced.

At the moment you are blaming inappropriate content for things based on assumptions and apparently without any statistical data or theoretical deductions.
The damage it does on men is understated and astounding. inappropriate contentography is not just wrong because it objectives women, it's just creating fantasy to pleasure the body.
Please explain how this is damaging men please, note that anecdotes are not sufficient as they are too vulnerable to confounding factors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It didn't have a good effect. Many males who watch inappropriate content would want their girlfriends to reciprocate the sex that is practiced in inappropriate content. inappropriate contentography is nearly always used to give pleasure the the person watching it. Sex is not meant to be the satisfy one person in the relationship.

I don't care what "most" would say about inappropriate content. The world says a lot of things - the world says that Jesus is dead, I know he lives. The world says that wealth and prosperity, and possessions are important - I know they are worthless. I dare say most people would say inappropriate content is a good thing. I care what God wants of me - and since you're an atheist that would be a bit hard to understand. Relationships between people are meant to transparent and naked with no lies, no fantasies, no imaginings. inappropriate contentography is a false reality, no one needs it, except for selfish reasons to satisfy their bodily urges.

There are sections of society - couples - who feel it is alright for their partners to "have fun" whilst they are away. Each to their own - but don't complain when your relationship breaks down. You reap what you sow. You start using inappropriate content to satisfy your bodily urges, then you will start encountering problems on any number of levels with your relationships.

And, I never agreed with the thing about banning inappropriate content. I don't necessarily agree with this whole idea of imposing Christian values on the world which doesn't believe anyway. But what I am saying is that inappropriate content is not a good thing. But you still get a choice to decide what you want to do.

And Relationships are more screwed up. One in three people being divorced is not an indication of good relationships. I'm not saying that inappropriate content is the single cause or even a major cause of it. If there's any one thing - it's sin. Again - the world would say divorce is okay, but again, I don't care that the world says. Relationships are hard work, relationships are strained and have problems in them. But such is a reflection of the world we live in. If something's not good for me, then it's okay to leave it, because life is about me. Well I don't believe that life is about me. I don't believe that I should be the center of my decisions, and again that comes down to my faith. It is true that inappropriate content isn't the only problem. But I made more than one post in this thread, and I suspect you've just read the last one. At the end of the day, banning inappropriate content isn't the biggest issue for families - it's not the biggest thing for a "Christian" party, and that's just one of the few reasons why I'm not going to vote for FF.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Monarchist in reference to tgg, I will say this:

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. Is is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always trusts, always hopes, always protects, always perseveres. Love never fails.

I'll take his word for what he says he is. He doesn't have to give me or you or anyone else an account anyway - Jesus himself will do that. From memory I think my views and his differ quite a bit, but that is okay. I'll show when I believe he is wrong, but I won't judge him (as much as I can, forgive me) We are all sinners, it is God that will decide what he believes in his heart.

Upvote 0

Monarchist

Aug 13, 2007
South
✟8,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are challenged to change our lives and repent. Not accept inappropriate contentography and threaten peoples lives. You will know them by there fruit. He calls himself a Christian, yet preaches his own gospel. inappropriate contentography does break up marriages. inappropriate contentography does encourage men to stray. inappropriate contentography destroys self esteem The FF party deemed it bad enough to sack one of there candidates,on principle.Due to there Christian ethics. Well done to them. We are called to be wise. We are called to beware of Wolves in sheep's clothing.

Upvote 0

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
It didn't have a good effect. Many males who watch inappropriate content would want their girlfriends to reciprocate the sex that is practiced in inappropriate content. inappropriate contentography is nearly always used to give pleasure the the person watching it. Sex is not meant to be the satisfy one person in the relationship.

I don't care what "most" would say about inappropriate content. The world says a lot of things - the world says that Jesus is dead, I know he lives. The world says that wealth and prosperity, and possessions are important - I know they are worthless. I dare say most people would say inappropriate content is a good thing. I care what God wants of me - and since you're an atheist that would be a bit hard to understand. Relationships between people are meant to transparent and naked with no lies, no fantasies, no imaginings. inappropriate contentography is a false reality, no one needs it, except for selfish reasons to satisfy their bodily urges.

There are sections of society - couples - who feel it is alright for their partners to "have fun" whilst they are away. Each to their own - but don't complain when your relationship breaks down. You reap what you sow. You start using inappropriate content to satisfy your bodily urges, then you will start encountering problems on any number of levels with your relationships.

And, I never agreed with the thing about banning inappropriate content. I don't necessarily agree with this whole idea of imposing Christian values on the world which doesn't believe anyway. But what I am saying is that inappropriate content is not a good thing. But you still get a choice to decide what you want to do.

And Relationships are more screwed up. One in three people being divorced is not an indication of good relationships. I'm not saying that inappropriate content is the single cause or even a major cause of it. If there's any one thing - it's sin. Again - the world would say divorce is okay, but again, I don't care that the world says. Relationships are hard work, relationships are strained and have problems in them. But such is a reflection of the world we live in. If something's not good for me, then it's okay to leave it, because life is about me. Well I don't believe that life is about me. I don't believe that I should be the center of my decisions, and again that comes down to my faith. It is true that inappropriate content isn't the only problem. But I made more than one post in this thread, and I suspect you've just read the last one. At the end of the day, banning inappropriate content isn't the biggest issue for families - it's not the biggest thing for a "Christian" party, and that's just one of the few reasons why I'm not going to vote for FF.
Fantastic reply! :thumbsup: That is the way to reply to an atheist. Btw, what's an atheist doing on here anyway and who had the dumb idea to give him the 'brain' (implying that Christians are dumb, blind followers of faith but atheists are intelligent & enlightened)?

Upvote 0