Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A Massachusetts family is locked in a standoff with Verizon over an $18,000 bill they accidentally racked up in just over a month. When the St. Germain family signed on with Verizon, they received 2 years of unlimited downloads as part of a promotion, the Boston Globe explains. When they re-signed, they say, no one told them the “promotion” was over. So son Bryan, who was away at college, kept right on using his phone to connect his laptop to the internet.

Family Fights $18K Verizon Bill - The fine print gets you every time

Mr. Ripley

The New Fad Outrage
Mar 13, 2010
✟8,589.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
For AT&T it's only $15.00 per month for unlimited. If you don't have an unlimited plan, though, and you're charged by the amount of wireless data you use, it can get very expensive very quickly. Especially in this scenario, the boy was using the data usage not only on his phone, but also on his computer.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Too bad, so sad. But it's up to the family to keep track of the time remaining on the unlimited period. 2 years means just that. 2 years from when you sign the initial contract. No one should have to tell them when the time's up.

Look... I bought a car last fall, with a 4-year, 48,000 mile warranty. So, therefore, it's up to ME to remember that, as of September 30, 2013, that warranty is null and void; or, if I hit 114,000+ miles before that time. I don't need the dealership to notify me, although they probably will. But, bottom line, I need to be the one, ultimately, to keep that in mind.

It's no different in this situation, with the Verizon bill.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Too bad, so sad. But it's up to the family to keep track of the time remaining on the unlimited period. 2 years means just that. 2 years from when you sign the initial contract. No one should have to tell them when the time's up.

Look... I bought a car last fall, with a 4-year, 48,000 mile warranty. So, therefore, it's up to ME to remember that, as of September 30, 2013, that warranty is null and void; or, if I hit 114,000+ miles before that time. I don't need the dealership to notify me, although they probably will. But, bottom line, I need to be the one, ultimately, to keep that in mind.

Sounds like you're talking about personal responsibility. I thought we outlawed personal responsibility.

Reactions: Avatar
Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Sounds like you're talking about personal responsibility. I thought we outlawed personal responsibility.

There is a difference between being personally responsible and being taken advantage of. Or are all con men honest businessmen, and it is those who are conned who should have looked into it more? For example, those emails that try to trick you to get your bank number by promising money. While I will say those who fall for it are being stupid, those who do those cons are still wrong in doing so. Taking advantage of ignorance is taking advantage of ignorance, be it a child or an adult you are taking advantage of.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
How is it the companies fault these people are too stupid to read a contract?

Same reason it is not the child's fault when they are taken advantage by someone, such as when someone trades a child a video game for a diamond the child found in their backyard. The only difference is that one is legal and one is not because the law over simplifies things.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a difference between being personally responsible and being taken advantage of. Or are all con men honest businessmen, and it is those who are conned who should have looked into it more? For example, those emails that try to trick you to get your bank number by promising money. While I will say those who fall for it are being stupid, those who do those cons are still wrong in doing so. Taking advantage of ignorance is taking advantage of ignorance, be it a child or an adult you are taking advantage of.

So you're saying they weren't given a full description of what their bill would be?
That they can just use as much bandwidth as they want, and don't have to pay for it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HasturX

Apr 25, 2010
✟1,688.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Taking advantage of ignorance is taking advantage of ignorance, be it a child or an adult you are taking advantage of.

So your solution is for business to assume that all of their customers are idiots and don't know how to read a contract?

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
So your solution is for business to assume that all of their customers are idiots and don't know how to read a contract?

Oh believe me, companies already do. Why do you think that these "first X period is extremely cheap!1!"-policies are so very popular?

Because companies know that many people will forget to cancel their contract when the trial period is over, or forget that after date X the costs suddenly soar, or can not be bothered to read heaps of legalese fine-print, or misunderstand said legalese, etc.

Plenty of companies make their money off these common human faults. That many companies are now more concerned with how best to exploit human weaknesses, instead of how best to create a product that would best benefit both the company and the client, sickens me to no end.

Upvote 0

wpiman2

Oct 6, 2007
Godless Massachusetts
✟18,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
People should read the fine print.....

That said-- Verizon is getting KILLED because of this. I know 4 people whose contracts expired and they dumped Verizon because of this story. Their learn when their renewals in boston plunge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mela Monkey

Kevin Kevin Kevin
Dec 14, 2009
Washington
✟13,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thought it may have been the guy's fault for not knowing the contract..
I blame Verison for waiting until the bill got to $18k before they told the people.. they could have easily seen that there was a problem when the bill got to $500.

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
the issue isn't about them not keeping track of when the unlimited time ended, the issue is that verizon didn't tell them that they no longer got the unlimited deal when they resigned.

verzion didn't tell them they no longer could get the unlimited deal when they renewed, your analogy isn't even close to the mark.

uh yes it is, did you even read the page?

When they re-signed, they say, no one told them the “promotion” was over.
seriously?
i would hope a company wouldn't screw me over by omitting that i don't get unlimited data transfer after i re-sign up for their service and let my bill run to 18k without telling me, that is verisons fault.

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
How is it the companies fault these people are too stupid to read a contract?
how is this stupid? verizon like a lot of companies hide fine print to get people to pay, its bait and switch.

even if the family should have checked the contract, verizon shouldn't gouge them like that.
we need a better system to protect consumers.

Upvote 0

HasturX

Apr 25, 2010
✟1,688.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thought it may have been the guy's fault for not knowing the contract..
I blame Verison for waiting until the bill got to $18k before they told the people.. they could have easily seen that there was a problem when the bill got to $500.

What do you think Verizon does? Pay people to look at how big someones bill is getting? It was sent to him when it was because that was the regular payment period.

Upvote 0

HasturX

Apr 25, 2010
✟1,688.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
the issue isn't about them not keeping track of when the unlimited time ended, the issue is that verizon didn't tell them that they no longer got the unlimited deal when they resigned.

Except they signed a contract that said there was no unlimited deal.

Upvote 0