Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
(If this is not in the right forum, please move it to where you think it should go)

While there have been false teachers and false prophets since the birth of Christianity, do you think that the problem is getting worse?

My main concern that I see is with two sections within the church -- those who are extremely theologically liberal (by that I mean those who claim the Christian name, but who do not believe in Jesus' deity, in the concept of sin, in the need for a Savior, deny Jesus' bodily resurrection, and who do not believe Jesus will be returning at all) -- and those who follow all kinds of modern day prophets and teachers, running after more and more signs and wonders (there is always false theology that goes with this).

What kinds of false teachers/prophets do you see today?

Matthew 7:15-23 (NASB)
15 “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruits.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’

Matthew 24:4-28 NASB
And Jesus answered and said to them, “See to it that no one misleads you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many. 6 You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. 8 But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.

9 “Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. 10 At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. 11 Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. 12 Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. 14 This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

15 “Therefore when you see the abomination of desolation which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), 16 then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains. 17 Whoever is on the housetop must not go down to get the things out that are in his house. 18 Whoever is in the field must not turn back to get his cloak. 19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath. 21 For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will. 22 Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. 23 Then if anyone says to you, ‘Behold, here is the Christ,’ or 'There He is,’ do not believe him. 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect. 25 Behold, I have told you in advance. 26 So if they say to you, ‘Behold, He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out, or, ‘Behold, He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe them. 27 For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be. 28 Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

2 Timothy 3:3-9 (NASB)
3 But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. 2 For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, 4 treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these. 6 For among them are those who enter into households and captivate weak women weighed down with sins, led on by various impulses, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men of depraved mind, rejected in regard to the faith. 9 But they will not make further progress; for their folly will be obvious to all, just as Jannes’s and Jambres’s folly was also.

2 Timothy 3:13-17 (NASB)
13 But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

1 Timothy 4:1-5 (NASB)
4 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, 3 men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; 5 for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

2 Thessalonians 2:1-
2 Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, 2 that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God. 5 Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things? 6 And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way. 8 Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming; 9 that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, 10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

Revelation 13:1-15 (NASB)
1 Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb and he spoke as a dragon. 12 He exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence. And he makes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose fatal wound was healed. 13 He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down out of heaven to the earth in the presence of men. 14 And he deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs which it was given him to perform in the presence of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who *had the wound of the sword and has come to life. 15 And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even speak and cause as many as do not worship the image of the beast to be killed.

Colossians 2:16-23 NASB
16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. 18 Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.

20 If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, 21 “Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!” 22 (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men? 23 These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi BC, well, many cults of various teachings come quickly to mind, especially those who reinterpret and/or rewrite part of the Bible, and/or add additional books to it, including the more recent cult, the "Church of Almighty God" aka "Eastern Lightning".

Of course, there are the smaller cult leaders who try to convince their followers that they are God, and/or the Lord returned to earth (even though we have passages like Matthew 24:1-28, and verses like Isaiah 43:10, John 1:18, & John 4:24 that clearly tell us otherwise). Though both are dead, Jim Jones and David Koresh come quickly to mind :eek:

The Eastern Lightning folks teach that Jesus has indeed returned, this time as a woman though, and that she is alive and well and living in China. Again though, the Bible, especially Matt 24:26-27 in this case (which this particular cult used to create one of the names we know them by), tells us why their teaching CANNOT be true!!

BTW, I see that you are brand new here so, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

Yours in Christ,
David

If they say to you, ‘Behold, He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out, or, ‘Behold, He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe them. For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be" ~Matt 24:26-27

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hi BC, well, many cults of various teachings come quickly to mind, especially those who reinterpret and/or rewrite part of the Bible, and/or add additional books to it, including the more recent cult, the "Church of Almighty God" aka "Eastern Lightning".

Of course, there are the smaller cult leaders who try to convince their followers that they are God, and/or the Lord returned to earth (even though we have passages like Matthew 24:1-28, and verses like Isaiah 43:10, John 1:18, & John 4:24 that clearly tell us otherwise). Though both are dead, Jim Jones and David Koresh come quickly to mind :eek:

The Eastern Lightning folks teach that Jesus has indeed returned, this time as a woman though, and that she is alive and well and living in China. Again though, the Bible, especially Matt 24:26-27 in this case (which this particular cult used to create one of the names we know them by), tells us why their teaching CANNOT be true!!

BTW, I see that you are brand new here so, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

Yours in Christ,
David

If they say to you, ‘Behold, He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out, or, ‘Behold, He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe them. For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be" ~Matt 24:26-27
Thanks for the warm welcome.
It appears that there are several kinds of deception that will take place in the last days.

I had never heard of the "Eastern Light" cult group. Indeed the groups you mentioned above would fall under the "many will come and claim to be Jesus" category. While I find it amazing that these types of groups are able to gain any followers at all, thankfully these groups have not deceived the majority of Christians. We definitely need to keep watching for these teachers.

Of greater concern to me, though, is the groups/teachers that do not outwardly break away from the church. Instead, they worm their way into established churches, and undiscerning people both inside the church start repeating the teachings. This seems to be a more dangerous type of deception (not that the other isn't).

Some of the deception in the last days will be so dangerous that true Christians are almost deceived -- at least that is how I read Jesus' warning in Matthew 24. There is true power that will coincide with the deception (to give it an appearance of legitimacy). It will also have to deceive a great many people, and it would have to be spiritual in nature. The seeds of this deception have probably existed since the founding of the church, and maybe even in the spiritual practices before Jesus. It is possible that it goes all the way back to the fall of humanity.

I heard John Shelby Spong speak when I was in graduate school. He's one of the extremely theologically liberal scholars that some of my fellow students and professors looked up to. I did a search online and found that he gave that exact same speech that he gave at my school to the Unity Church, with a few added words about how much he loved Unity and New Thought. Some of the more theologically liberal students at my school also attended Unity Churches. These are students who attended a mainline seminary, mind you. Many of them will become pastors in mainline churches.

They've taken out Jesus Christ -- His death and resurrection, thereby stripping any true Christianity from the faith. They have removed the gospel and replaced it with New Thought and New Age ideas. The bishop in residence and all the leaders and many of the professors at the seminary encourage students to see a Spiritual Director who teaches shamanism and New Age concepts -- the Director puts people in touch with their "animal spirits."

It has been several years since I graduated. I have a friend who attends the seminary now, and he has reported that the school is even worse now. They are basically teaching students to worship the earth. Students have to take classes in ecology to become pastors!

On the other hand, you have people who are into all kinds of spiritual abandonment, accepting anything and everything that comes from some modern day prophet. Many have abandoned the gospel and are chasing after spiritual visions, angels, signs, and wonders. There is no discernment. Then there is the Word of Faith/Prosperity gospel, which also seems to have ties to New Thought beliefs.

Linking these two groups is mysticism. I realize that this claim might seem controversial, however, I am very concerned with how mysticism is being embraced by all kinds of Christians. I think if you go far back enough in New Thought and also some of the theology floating around in more evangelical churches, you will find gnosticism.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

I cry for the state of the church today, at least in America. I don't know what it is like in other parts of the world. I hope it is better in other places.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hey Baby (now there's a greeting that I normally don't get to use with anyone except my wife ;)), I agree. In fact, as the church goes further and further, "off the reservation" (IOW, further and further away from proper Biblical exegesis and from continuing to earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints .. Jude 3), the more that the belief in ANYTHING else becomes the most plausible, and the truth, harder and harder to abide in or even find.

As for Bishop Spong, he is very charismatic and very well spoken, but that's where his good qualities end IMHO (as long as he continues to say and teach what he does while calling himself a Christian). A man like Spong has, no doubt, deceived many in this world, and will probably continue to do so for as long as he can.

If your Bible College/Seminary has gotten so bad, why doesn't your friend transfer to another one? (TEDS and Dallas come quickly to mind as good choices)!

Yours in Christ,
David

Reactions: farout
Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hey Baby (now there's a greeting that I normally don't get to use with anyone except my wife ;)), I agree. In fact, as the church goes further and further, "off the reservation" (IOW, further and further away from proper Biblical exegesis and from continuing to earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints .. Jude 3), the more that the belief in ANYTHING else becomes the most plausible, and the truth, harder and harder to abide in or even find.

As for Bishop Spong, he is very charismatic and very well spoken, but that's where his good qualities end IMHO (as long as he continues to say and teach what he does while calling himself a Christian). A man like Spong has, no doubt, deceived many in this world, and will probably continue to do so for as long as he can.

If your Bible College/Seminary has gotten so bad, why doesn't your friend transfer to another one? (TEDS and Dallas come quickly to mind as good choices)!

Yours in Christ,
David
You can call me BC or Cottontail or Bunny or Rabbit, if you would prefer.

For sure -- I do not understand why Spong and others of his theological persuasion spend so much time saying how they think that belief in sin, Jesus' dying on the cross for our sins, and Jesus' bodily resurrection is so unbelievable, and yet they think things like New Thought makes more sense? In his speech to the Unity Church, he said he hoped that New Thought would become the future of Christianity. He talked about how much he admired Mary Baker Eddy and Keys to the Scriptures. Bart Ehrman also spoke to the Unity Church, and is apparently into New Thought spirituality as well.

Once you remove the gospel from Christianity, you have nothing left. It is an empty faith. So, yeah, they are grasping at anything that is spiritual. Anything that is spiritual is considered to be good, regardless of the source. That probably comes from the view that the gods of all religions are the same, therefore all spiritual sources must be from God. They no longer have a reason to discern anything spiritual, as they view that there is no bad spiritual source.

There are several reasons why it would be difficult for my friend to attend another seminary -- he needs one that is close to home. He has a family, and they don't have a lot of money. Another thing, he needs to attend a seminary that is accredited with the United Methodist Church, as he is going to be a pastor in the UMC. I don't know if the seminaries you mentioned would be. He would have to check on that. Thirdly, he is a bit more theologically liberal than I, so he may not fit in well at those seminaries. I will mention it to him, though. Thank you. :)

Upvote 0

Dennis1209

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
✟8,803.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I won't mention any names not to offend but, how about many of the prominent folks preaching on early morning / late night cable TV. Living the life of luxury, living in mansions, getting rich, proclaiming the feel good message of the more you give and donate, the more you will receive. Money that would be better spent spreading the word, missionary's, feeding and ministering to the poor and sick, etc. I've heard very little about the Gospel and Salvation message through the Lord Jesus Christ on most of these programs.

That's not even counting all the popular TV evangelists convicted of fraud, tax evasion, fornication... Much less replacement theology.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I won't mention any names not to offend but, how about many of the prominent folks preaching on early morning / late night cable TV. Living the life of luxury, living in mansions, getting rich, proclaiming the feel good message of the more you give and donate, the more you will receive. Money that would be better spent spreading the word, missionary's, feeding and ministering to the poor and sick, etc. I've heard very little about the Gospel and Salvation message through the Lord Jesus Christ on most of these programs.

That's not even counting all the popular TV evangelists convicted of fraud, tax evasion, fornication... Much less replacement theology.

• I can't help but bring out in the open a few counterfeit Christians. Benny Hinn, Joyce Myers, Mike Bickie, Rick Joyner, Jesse Duplantis, John Arnott, Joel Osteen. These are not the only ones or the worst just a few. IMO.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single

Yes, those are serious problems as well. There are Christians in every church who follow these TV speakers or read their books, and who donate money on the promise that whatever they "sow" into a particular ministry, they will get back many times more.

It isn't just that, but many of these speakers/authors sell items to people that are not worth much. They might sell special protection kits for people to put up a spiritual boundary around their home. They might sell special occult type cards with colors and musical notes on them to help their spiritual growth. They might sell dream interpretation cards or books.

The theology behind the teachings is also potentially very damaging. If things aren't the way you would like them, then it is your fault because you didn't pray hard enough or believe God enough or whatever.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
  • I can't help but bring out in the open a few counterfeit Christians. Benny Hinn, Joyce Myers, Mike Bickle, Rick Joyner, Jesse Duplantis, John Arnott, Joel Osteen. These are not the only ones or the worst just a few. IMO.
I agree with you that the theology of all those you have named are off, and that what they teach is counterfeit Christianity. There are more people who run in the same circles as these individuals.

I know that there are probably people on this board who admire the teachings of one or more of these persons. So, how do we name names and yet be loving? I suppose the only way we can do this is to challenge the theology and practice of these individuals -- make people think. Question the beliefs in a loving manner.

I would add Bill Johnson, Dutch Sheets, Todd Bentley, Randy Clark, Heidi Baker, John Crowder, Graham Cooke, C. Peter Wager, and Rod Parsley to the list. Of course there are many more.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with you that the theology of all those you have named are off, and that what they teach is counterfeit Christianity. There are more people who run in the same circles as these individuals.

I know that there are probably people on this board who admire the teachings of one or more of these persons. So, how do we name names and yet be loving? I suppose the only way we can do this is to challenge the theology and practice of these individuals -- make people think. Question the beliefs in a loving manner.

I would add Bill Johnson, Dutch Sheets, Todd Bentley, Randy Clark, Heidi Baker, John Crowder, Graham Cooke, C. Peter Wager, and Rod Parsley to the list. Of course there are many more.
Paul and Jan Crouch, when they were alive. TBN has done more to spread bad theology that any other tv station. IMO.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I see it, the Grace only/OSAS is one of the most damaging false prophesies of our time.

If that's how you see it. I do not. I believe Jesus taught if we are genuinely born again, His true followers, No one can remove us from his hand. A born again person will not be plucked from His eternal secure hand. End of discussion.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
As I see it, the Grace only/OSAS is one of the most damaging false prophesies of our time.
What is Grace only/OSAS?

Oh, I just figured it out. Once Saved Always Saved.

I think calling that teaching a false teaching is controversial, as I know Christians who are on both sides of it.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Reason being, it's not about the true gospel, it's about the gospel of "Me/self". "Give more to me, and you will get more". this one works well when both sides are self absorbed, but the main deceiver is the only one that gets the temporary rewards and the followers get just what they deserve.

These so-called leaders are basically a quack Investment Firm.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is Grace only/OSAS?

I think calling that teaching a false teaching is controversial, as I know Christians who are on both sides of it.
a not interested in dialoguing or debating the OSAS. No one wins the other over. Its useless waste of effort and time. Neither of will change, I have done this so many times, I am too old, I have better things to do that count.

• Agree
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If that's how you see it. I do not. I believe Jesus taught if we are genuinely born again, His true followers, No one can remove us from his hand. A born again person will not be plucked from His eternal secure hand. End of discussion.

It is how I see it and always will, but I fully expect it will step on toes, as it's wormed it's way so deep into the hearts of people now, and some since birth, that it's almost impossible to make them see. Of course that was exactly my point of it being so dangerous.

What is Grace only/OSAS?

Hi, Baby C,

OSAS is Once Saved Always Saved, by grace only. Meaning no matter what we do, if we just say we believe, we go to heaven, in spite of the bible being very clear on the requirements to get to heaven.

So we don't get too far off topic, I'll leave it at that for now, but you can google the term, as there is tons of info out there on OSAS. :)

Upvote 0

Brian45

Apr 23, 2002
✟34,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What amazes me about all these false teachers is the crowds they pull in , are there really that many naïve Christians out there? The only reason these false teachers exist is because of the support they are given , stop the support and you stop the false teachers.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
a not interested in dialoguing or debating the OSAS. No one wins the other over. Its useless waste of effort and time. Neither of will change, I have done this so many times, I am too old, I have better things to do that count.
Agreed.

And to Kenny, thanks. I will look it up. I agree that this thread is not the place to debate it.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is Grace only/OSAS?

Unless there is a loving, kind respectful dialogue between the difference side, agreeing not to make rude, and nasty demanding stacks on the opposite side it becomes sinful. attacking a Brother or sister is sin, unless it has to do with Jesus Christ. We are to love each other. John 13:34,35

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
What amazes me about all these false teachers is the crowds they pull in , are there really that many naïve Christians out there? The only reason these false teachers exist is because of the support they are given , stop the support and you stop the false teachers.
Yes, I think that there really are that many naive Christians out there. There are people who just don't know what their Bible says, so they are unable to tell whether or not something lines up with Scripture. Another problem is that people tend to put pastors on pedestals, not thinking that they could be wrong about something. "If my pastor says something, it has to be right." They are not willing to test what is being taught.

These pastors are also giving people exactly what they want to hear. Many people like being told that they are wonderful, loved by God, etc. They are just getting their itching ears scratched.

Then, of more serious concern is the fact that many churches simply do not preach the gospel. Christians in some churches don't even know what Christianity is all about, and they have never really heard the gospel. There are children being raised in these churches who have never been exposed to it. Some pastors don't preach it, and may not even know it themselves. Christianity is turning into another religion in some circles.

If people don't know the gospel, and don't know Scripture, and don't question what is being said by a pastor, then they just end up going along with whatever they are being taught. It feels good to them. They think that that is what Christianity is.

Reactions: Luke17:37
Upvote 0