• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Fallen Christian

Phleace

Sep 18, 2003
✟198.00
Faith
Atheist
Hello.

I want to start out by introducing myself. My name is Jason, and I live in Chicago. I'm 17 years old, and am in the second half of my senior year in high school. My family is very Christian, and though I was brought up Protestant, we do attend a Baptist church. Due to my father being in the Army, we have lived all over the world. I never made friends much, as we had to move every couple years or so. We've been living here in Chicago for over five years now, and it looks like i'll be living here from now on until I find someplace to go. Like I said before, I was brought up Protestant. I would attend church every sunday and go to sunday school. I would hate listening to the sermons and smelling all the perfume from the elderly visitors at our churches. That's just how I was. I guess I was too young to understand the importance of the place at which I was attending. Up until high school, school was traumatic for me. I was very shy. Very quiet. It's funny how the shy and quiet ones can attract the most attention, however. People would lash out at me for any reason, just to see what sort of reactions they would get. They were often mixed. Sometimes i'd say things back. Sometimes i'd try and ignore the hurtful words. Other times I would cry, and this would only signal defeat to them and they would rejoice with further torment. My parents have always been good to me. It may be important to note that i'm not an only child. I have sister that is 21. Due to the gap between our ages, she was always involved with other things when I was younger, and we hardly ever had time to do anything together. Still, I progressed through childhood on my own, though with very little in the way of a social life, due to the daily events that would take place in school.

Let's jump forward to 1999. I had just moved from Pennsylvania to Chicago. Pennsylvania provided one of the worst educational environments for me, and I would break down very often. I was depressed, and did take medication for a while, though it didn't do much. I was labeled with ADHD... and later it was recalled and I was stamped with a "light form of Aspergers syndrome". That really upset me. It's funny how science can just label a person like that. Surely there must of been something wrong with me. It still irritates me to this day, but officially I am cleared of all previous beliefs that I ever had such problems. After all, was it really my fault I was so quiet? I think not. Not after all I had been through. Ok, back to the story. Soon after moving here, I befriended a neighbor, who was a couple years younger than me. We did all kinds of cool stuff. Then I met his sister. She was 8. I was eleven. She suggested we fool around... and this was territory in which I had never walked. Without much thought, we played around one day, though thankfully, not to the point where my V membership card was stolen. To make a long story short, both my parents and his parents found out about what happened between me and his sister, and life came to a dead halt. My parents were ashamed and saddened. Reality hit me in the face when they spoke of possible lawsuits... or other things due to my actions. I was left alone in the dark, wondering how I had messed up so badly and so quickly. I then looked at my life, and got this funny feeling that something was missing. A voice appeared in my mind one day, whom I refer to as my conscience. Funny that. He said "look at yourself. look what you've done. do you know where you're going? do you know where you are? you need guidance." It was shortly after that, that I thought of my mom's pink bible... my dad's big bible... and all the bibles I had stored in my closet that were given to me by my Grandparents. Hmm. Perhaps this religion thing was something to look in to? At the time, life was pretty dark. I was alone and scared. Guidance, huh? Hmmm... that doesnt sound too bad. Not even a few days later, I was throwing tomatoes from the garden into the fire in our backyard. I was silly. I was uncertain. My dad came out, wondering why I was destroying all the fresh vegetables. I told him I was making a sacrifice... and his eyes widened. He knew I was looking into something important, though going about it the wrong way. He told me what I was doing was from the old testament, and not really required. He then pointed me in the direction of the church, and I started going there.

2000-2003. The initial few weeks going to church were awkward. I remembered the smell of the perfumes... all the people dressed up all fancy... and how it felt to wake up at 8am on a sunday, and not have time for breakfeast until after the lecture. Bummer. As the weeks progressed, I got to know the people within the church, and felt secure there. I was saved sometime around 2001. I actually asked to be saved on several occasions, just to make sure my request went though. Again, more silliness. Throughout those years, I was involved with the church in many ways. Not only did I get to know many people, I also helped out with events and programs, and went on several trips. I told my testimony of sorts (see above) and it brought tears to many people. When I look back on it now, it was great. I felt like an angel. Was I? Not then, and not yet, but I was under the watch of God. I read my bible at church (never really at home, as I was easily distracted by many things) and learned about how being saved works, and more importantly, how to share your faith with others. Now, was every day a good day? Of course not. Even the most spiritual of Christians has their good days and bad. I can say though, that I was much happier during that time. I felt arms around me. I felt wise. I felt something special. I talked to God casually on many occasions. Even though High School was treating me very well (compared to other years in school), I still took the time, when alone, to casually talk to God, as if he was walking next to me. I was baptized, by choice, on November 30th, 2003. Two months prior to that, I found out about the largest Christian community in the "digital world". Lo and behold, that's where i've come crawling back to now.

It was probably around April of 2004 that something in my mind clicked. Church seemed to be boring, though I still understood its importance. As I made many friends and acquaintances, I learned many things from them. Many were atheist, and many more were just lost or N/A with their faith. Attempts to share my faith with them were failures. I didnt even know where to begin, despite my learning of that process. I never ventured too deap in that area. Further looking into my friends and acquaintances, I learned their reasonings for not believing in God. Some were intelligent. Others were clouded with pot smoke and alcohol. The typical kinds of output you'd get from a sophomore or junior high schooler. Life was still going good, though I started to tire of school. I wanted to graduate then. I wanted to find a job. The highlight of last year, was my earning the feeling of love. The desire for it. Not love from God, as that came pretty much naturally (though I didnt always return it promptly) but the love between a man and a woman. I was a young man. I was a quiet man. The crushes I had were kept to myself, but occasionally they would leak, and I'd be reminded of my status in the social class. Very very low. It was around April of last year that I started questioning my faith. Was God really real? Was my God right? My eyes opened wider, and I looked over the Earth at the many other religions and faiths. They all seemed somewhat similar, though somewhat different. Most said, however, that they were right, and everyone else was wrong. Could I be wrong? Oh no. Panic. What if I was wrong? What if I should be Muslim? Jewish? Shinto? And more recently, what if I should be Wiccan? It was from that point forward that things started going downhill. Grades started to lower. On a positive note, I scored another job. I now work at the local Library and at Gamestop. Working for Gamestop got me some attention from my peers at school, and I met more people, with the same odd opinions about religion that were totally opposite from mine. I talked to my pastors and people at church about it, and they would always advise I look into the word and pray. It didnt really help much. The word was confusing, and my prayers... though I used to invision them going to the ears of God, seemed to float up and go through the vent on my ceiling. Hmmm. As a shadow seemed to come over my life, I started to become angry. I was confused. I prayed to God for guidance, but there was only silence. I kept my eyes peeled for any signals in the real world, but there were none that I could understand. I questioned a great many things. I questioned other people. Denominations. Churches. Religions. Scriptures. I started to question anything, and most people ended up telling me I just had to have faith in what I believed in. Faith? I could have faith in anything. That doesnt make it right, however. Great, even deeper of a hole. I continued my downward spiral. I found happiness in my language, my lust, my adultery (inappropriate contentography and whatnot) and my "sin". But wait... i started to doubt sin... and then I really felt free. I Felt like I was bound to know rules, and the chains were broken. Were the chains to keep me safe? Looking back on it, I'd have to guess so. It's too late now, however. At the end of December, I decided I would return to my master. I had fled, and I knew from the very beginning that I was walking down a dark path. One night, I prayed for forgiveness... for wisdom... and for a light to come and show me the path back towards God. My conscience started speaking to me again. It's important to note that my conscience has never told me to do anything wrong. Never. Not once. My conscience has always told me the right things to do in situations. My conscience has cheered me up when I was down, and given me wisdom where it was needed. Afte telling my pastor about it, he told me it was the Holy Spirit, and that made me feel warm... for a few minutes. Prior to me asking for forgiveness, I had already flat-out screamed that I had given up on God. I was angry. I blamed him.... whoever he was... for making it so difficult for a person like me (and there must be others) to find his way through this difficult world of ours, that often only tries to bring us down. I tried to listen to my conscience for a few weeks. I felt like a better person, but every time I would talk to peers in school or just hear opinions from the media, I would instantly be knocked down. Who was right? Who was wrong? Does anyone in the world really have the answers? I had forsaken my church. I had worried my parents. I had nobody to turn to. I didnt know who to turn to. i didnt know who to pray to, as I didnt know if I was praying to the right being. I didnt know if there even was being to pray to. I am jealous of those who walk so great in their faith. I am jealous of those who have never looked around and have seen the things I have. I am jealous to those, who have not been mauled by Satan... if I even believe in such a being anymore. Recently, still being without God, I started looking into Wicca from a friend. It didnt sound bad... but then I found out my friend was using it to try and learn to be a sorcerer. Right. A person taking a religion and trying to turn it into Harry Potter. Good game. Still lost. Still unsure. I feel sad now. I wish someone could just hold me. I might cry. I might not. Thoughts of suicide have come and gone, though it sounds interesting. After death, i'd finally understand what I never was able to grasp before. Only one problem, however. There'd be no coming back to Earth, I suppose. I keep telling myself I would never do something like that, but now I dont know.

Last night... I went to a friends hose... and broke a virginity. Not a virginity in that sense, but I did something I was proud before to never have done. I smoked a cigarette... and then smoked some weed. I always told myself I would never touch that stuff. I was too smart for that. I'm so lost. I'm weak. Now i'm just downright foolish. I've gone from being lost, to being illegal and lost. Can words express how I feel right now? Maybe. Maybe not. If you've read up to this point, you've read a few thousand I suppose. I'm so ashamed of myself. I have a bright future (career-wise) ahead of me. I have employment. My grades are low, but not failing. I'm on my way to being an adult... but part of me has already died... and I dont know if I can bring it back.

... :cry:

jesusismysavior

Jul 5, 2004
tennessee
✟7,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, some story.

Well, dont beat yourself, your human, you made a mistake.
If i were you, i would pray and pray, keep talking to Him as if He were walking with you side by side, spiritually He is, this will keep you from falling back into your own ways. The thing is, you took a huge step, in fact, ill call it a "leap" from not being saved to becoming a true follower of Christ. And you did fall low by doing what you said you did the other night, remember to repent and to ask God for forgiviness. And even though at times you might not feel like "reading", read His word, its really powerful, and it helps abundantly. Honestly, i just think that you must believe that you are forgiven by your mistake, and repent.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
From reading your post it seems that you may noy have ever had established good, intelligent reasons for your beliefs. You have asked some very real questions. There are good answers, but they will require some searching, some reading and some reflection.

A good Christian bookstore, with a selection of good christain apologetics books cuould be very uesful for you.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My brother...cry, cry hard....I feel much like you at times...and I see how very much alike we are in many ways. Even the way you write caught me off guard. you and I...we are much alike. And although I've never gotten caught in that trap of pot...I've more than wanted to on occassion and have also vowed to never even touch it. I too have suffered depression...and actually, have fallen again this week...pretty low...My brother, those doubts, I understand them well...I look around day after day and see how hopeless it seems, how much of this world just doesn't get it...and think..."maybe I'm the one who isn't getting it..." I struggle with being a "good christian girl" everyday. And I wonder whether I should just forget this and end it all, blowing my brains all over the ceiling. But man, like you said...If I do that, there's no coming back is there? If you wanna talk, PM me....I've felt my share of pain, doubt, sexual temptation, and drugs effect in my life (even if on a lower scale (and quite legal))...I can relate and I really hope you wanna talk sometime...life can be tough to start with...and then there's the whole spiritual aspect that can really throw you around...with love, Lauren

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello,
You have certaingly done a lot of thinking and soul searching in your life. That's good. It's okay to ask questions, even tough ones. It is also okay to make a mistake and realize it and repent. God knew we would. His grace is unending, as is forgiveness.

Do you still go to church? If so, see if you can find a man who could disciple you, and answer these questions. Maybe a youth pastor, or someone not too old, or judgmental.

I have sons. Both are questioning the faith as well. My one son is sexually active and drinks alcohol. I love him, and I accept him for where he is at. He accepted Christ when he was younger.

My younger son became a heroin addict. Took him three years to straighten out his life. His addiction was pretty bad toward the end. He is also bisexual. I love him and accept him as well.

They are my children. Nothing they do can make me stop loving them.

You are God's child. Nothing you do can make Him stop loving you.

Romans 8:38-39

Hugs,
Madison

Upvote 0

mxpxchrist_chic

post-it notes are sticky!
Mar 9, 2002
southwestern michigan
Visit site
✟7,976.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God loves you very much. He's waiting for you. He wants your devotion, time, effort and love. He wants you to need him. He's the only thing that can satisfy. The only thing that you crave for is Him, whether you realize that or not is up to you. :)
You have to grab hold of his hand. This is a permanent decision. After you say: "Lord, i want to live for you and only you. I realize that nothing else can satisfy. I love you and i will love you forever. I want to serve you. Because you are my God. You are God. The one and only. The creator. You are my creator and i want you to live in me." I believe God will reply back "I am the vine and you are the branches, remain in me (read the bible and pray daily and believe it in your heart and have faith that I exsist) and i will remain in you. But apart from me you can do nothing.( Without God you will continue to fail. That's just the facts. Simple as that. Without him you won't get much of anywhere in life.)
He has your past.. He has forgotten about it, you should too.
He has your present. Live in this moment. Right now. What are you doing to praise God daily? What are you doing to worship God daily? Are you praying like you mean it? are you reading the bible out of love and devotion? Are you reading it to learn more about him? Everything must be for the glory of God. Everything you do must glorify him. Live in this moment right now. Reach his hand, take his hand and everything will be secure and safe.
He has your future. If you let him. Only you can make this choice. Only you. He has not made you suffer. It has been your choice to suffer. You could have had joy in him but you let the enemy steal it. Don't let satan steal your joy. Don't let satan ruin your future. Clear your mind and get a clear view.. What do you see yourself doing in the next 5 to 10 years? Does it have to do with God? Everything works in his plans, in his time. Nothing can be done without him. God is with you. Believe it. He is there. He has touched me tonight.
If you reach out, he can be your everything. Everything you need is in Him. And nothing else.

God i pray right now for Jason Lord taht you would just heal him of his past. Lord, you have forgiven him and forgotten about it Lord so please let him do the same. Lord give him a guy to talk to. A great awesome christian person face to face christian guy. let him know that he is loved. Surround him with your love and presence. Give him people that surround him in love and support. help him to know that he needs support. Give him your grace Lord. I pray that you would watch over him. He is very special. he is an amazing guy Lord. Give him the everyday strength to go on each day. Each day may be hard God but Lord with you anything is possible. God i pray that you would just show him the way and give him guidance. Help him to understand that he doesn't need to understand everything to just believe. Lord you know his future. You know his future. I pray that you would help him feel secure in himself Lord so that he can come to you. Help him to understand that you are a God of love and grace. Grace love mercy and so so much more. God i pray that you would help Jason in everyday struggles. Give him strength Lord. Give him strength. God i pray that you would give him love. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Lord. Thank you.
In Jesus name i pray.
Amen

Love you Jason. Praying for you Daily.
*Jessica*

Upvote 0

BaptistboyforJesus

Sep 24, 2004
Missouri
✟15,204.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Jason,

You are in my prayers now and always! You have gone through so
much in your short life. My advice to you is to talk to your Heavenly Father.
Embrace his love and let him take care of you! I know that you have
probably heard this before, but it's the truth about God! I believe the world
(and Satan) try to make us believe we are not special--My Friend, you are!

I have no idea why anybody would not want to be your friend, you seem like a kid that has a lot to offer to a friend. You seem so insightful and wise for your age. I can't imagine why a girl would consider you "low on the social class". Did someone tell you that--that's a lie! You're a very good looking kid. I recommend that you find a good youth group and possibly get an older mentor at your church--somebody close to talk to. They will understand!

If you need to talk, let me know, just send a private message.

God Bless You Brother!:hug:

Upvote 0

Phleace

Sep 18, 2003
✟198.00
Faith
Atheist
I went to my youth group and old church last night, and it seemed really... I don't know... artificial... or fake. Don't get me wrong, I think the church and youth group are great... seeing as how out of the 40 or so people, i'm the only one who's completely gone off the deep end! People were glad to see me... as it had been a long time. Others didnt know me. My pastor was glad to see me... and asked me how I was doing... and I told him I was doing pretty bad... and he just kind of chuckled and said he was glad I had come. I've shared my "testimony" on several occasions and I doubt i'll hardly be in the mood to share it again... any time soon. After all, with a testimony as long as The Return of The King Extended Edition, i'm bound to run out of breath, and or give a good supply of boredom to the person(s) i'm lecturing to. As for the artificial feelings I felt, I don't know. It seemed like everyone's prayers were just going up in the air. I didnt feel as if God was in the room. Some people were taking the time to be serious, while others were talking and goofing off. Would this stop God from being in the room? From what I'd think, probably not. Maybe i'm just too advanced to be cared for by my Church. I'm the Firefox/Linux of Christians. I need additional support... and let's not start talking ATI drivers here. It's funny... the church can't help but say things about other churches and denominations, and even sometimes, laugh and joke about them. Tsk... it's typical... and common in many other churches, i'm sure. My pastor always says that there is a war going on around us... between angels and demons... and that we should thank him for not letting demons disturb us during our worship.

...well... I guess I found an open port in the church... shall we say port 21? On the spiritual scale, i'm already dead... and I have felt a power within me to be able to cast doubt on other christians as well.

What a shame.

Upvote 0

cwr89

Jul 21, 2004
✟570.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
hey now, just because you went a did something like that doesn't mean your a bad person. god loves you even when you sin. (as was probly said in the other replys)

I really think you should tell someone like your youth pastor that this happened.

most of them know what to do in stuff like this. weed and cigarette use/abuse are very commin before and after my youth group stuff, even after they have been cought. most youth pastors are cool and won't go and involve the police or even your parrents.

and again, maybe if you involved your parrents they could help you out there.

anyways, I will be praying for you, and cheer up! :)
~Casey

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silent Enigma

Senior Veteran
Jan 2, 2004
The upper midwest, out in the woods.
Visit site
✟10,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well Phleace,

Sounds to me like to never had too solid of a foundation to begin with. More of a religious experience than something than something objective and concrete...? I am guessing here.

You need to get your foundation set before you can deal with these other problems in your life. You have to determine what it IS that you believe in. It seemed to really floor you when you found out there were other religions out here making exclusive truth claims. Seems strange to me. But I guess for me the process went in the reverse direction so it was not as disconcerting.

So to conclude I'd say you need to get more familiar with good solid Christian apologetics so that you can't get jerked around so easily. You'll be in a lot better position to handle things then.

Upvote 0