Visit site
✟981,204.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As Christian Forums is a faith based ministry, it has been decided that a user's faith can no longer be private or hidden in any user's profile, therefore, the Private option has been removed and everybody needs to choose one of the other options available.

We have also changed the ability for a user to change their own faith option, therefore, if you had previously chosen the Private option, or you wish to change your faith option, you may do so one time. If you wish to change it a second time ( your third faith icon pic ) please go to the Member Services Center (MSC) and post your request there.

If a faith option that you would like to choose is missing, let us know and we will see if it can be added.

Last edited by a moderator:

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Good move.
A. I know who I am dealing with
B. People now can't change it on a whim.

Same should be true of gender. Just a suggestion.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As Christian Forums is a faith based ministry

When did this start? I thought CF was a message forum for the discussion of Christianity and related topics. I didn't know it was a ministry of a church. What church is it ministering on behalf of? And what is the aim or goal of the ministry? Is this site supposed to be converting people and, if so, to what? Are we providing food to the hungry or clothes to the naked? I am not sure I understand what this means.

it has been decided that a user's faith can no longer be private or hidden in any user's profile, therefore, the Private option has been removed and everybody needs to choose one of the other options available.

We have also changed the ability for a user to change their own faith option, therefore, if you had previously chosen the Private option, or you wish to change your faith option, please go to the Member Services Center (MSC) and post your request there.

I'm not sure I like that people have to declare and disclose a faith, but I understand that's a long standing practice and unlikely to be changed, even though eliminating the ability to make it private "steps it up a notch". You guys could at least bring back those cool faith icons if you're going to force this through, though. ;)

I am really baffled by the inability to change one's faith icon, though. What happens if, say, a Methodist joins a Lutheran congregation, or a Catholic decides he or she is better identified by the general Christian icon that includes Catholicism and other Christian faiths after previously choosing the Catholic icon, or wants the Catholic icon after previously choosing the Christian icon?

What happens if someone wants to change their faith icon because his or her child was molested by a priest or a pastor or some other very traumatic thing happens? Will they have to relive that trauma by explaining it in depth to a moderator and requesting that they be granted permission for a change, while having to stare at that icon on their posts in the meantime? What if the moderator doesn't think that's a good enough reason?

Why do people even need to have a reason?

I don't think I like the way this site is headed.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Well, at least they're not taking your Christian status away if they don't think you measure up.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
When did this start? I thought CF was a message forum for the discussion of Christianity and related topics. I didn't know it was a ministry of a church. What church is it ministering on behalf of? And what is the aim or goal of the ministry? Is this site supposed to be converting people and, if so, to what? Are we providing food to the hungry or clothes to the naked? I am not sure I understand what this means.

I'm not sure I like that people have to declare and disclose a faith, but I understand that's a long standing practice and unlikely to be changed, even though eliminating the ability to make it private "steps it up a notch". You guys could at least bring back those cool faith icons if you're going to force this through, though. ;)

I am really baffled by the inability to change one's faith icon, though. What happens if, say, a Methodist joins a Lutheran congregation, or a Catholic decides he or she is better identified by the general Christian icon that includes Catholicism and other Christian faiths after previously choosing the Catholic icon, or wants the Catholic icon after previously choosing the Christian icon?

What happens if someone wants to change their faith icon because his or her child was molested by a priest or a pastor or some other very traumatic thing happens? Will they have to relive that trauma by explaining it in depth to a moderator and requesting that they be granted permission for a change, while having to stare at that icon on their posts in the meantime? What if the moderator doesn't think that's a good enough reason?

He did say that if you needed to change your faith icon, that you needed to discuss it with staff. I'm pretty sure that the reasons you listed would be accepted.

Upvote 0

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟981,204.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
He did say that if you needed to change your faith icon, that you needed to discuss it with staff. I'm pretty sure that the reasons you listed would be accepted.
Yes, it can still be changed by the Admins/Advisors by requesting the change in the Member Services Center.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arensb

Jun 17, 2006
Visit site
✟22,175.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Tangentially related: It occurred to me that Christian Forums has years' worth of data on users changing their religious affiliation. Is this data available anywhere? (Not necessarily to me, but to researchers in sociology.) I'd be curious to know how it compares to things like Pew and Barna surveys on religion.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Tangentially related: It occurred to me that Christian Forums has years' worth of data on users changing their religious affiliation. Is this data available anywhere? (Not necessarily to me, but to researchers in sociology.) I'd be curious to know how it compares to things like Pew and Barna surveys on religion.
That would be very interesting. One could plot the trajectories of individual members across time, as compared to a cross-sectional examination of overall group trends. One would have to find some way of filtering non-active members from the dataset, however, as a large segment of the userbase may consist of members who have posted only once or twice since joining years ago.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good move.

Never did worry about someone's faith when reading their postings, I more prefer to go by what they say then what they claim to be.

And Is their going to be some limit / test for when people start changing their faith?

Upvote 0

SilverAvenger

Old-Catholic and Jewish Interfaith Minister
Aug 15, 2014
Lisbon, Portugal - Yes, that little rectangle next
✟15,521.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Good move.

What's the problem about wanting to keep your gender a secret? Maybe you're talking to a hermaphrodite who had to pick a gender to register, but keeps it a secret because he/she had to lie? Or someone who preferes others to read what they're writting instead of being bashed for being a gal writting. It has happened in the past in other forums.

Reactions: unno-Dey
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's the problem about wanting to keep your gender a secret? Maybe you're talking to a hermaphrodite who had to pick a gender to register, but keeps it a secret because he/she had to lie? Or someone who preferes others to read what they're writting instead of being bashed for being a gal writting. It has happened in the past in other forums.
One can say the same about Religion.
One should go by what was posted, not who posted. (That's what all the rules say any ways. "Address the post, not the poster")
If so, why force the Poster to reveal info they don't wish to reveal?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
One should go by what was posted, not who posted. (That's what all the rules say any ways. "Address the post, not the poster")

probably because there are some forums where posting is restricted by age, gender, faith, and marital status, as well as whether one is on staff here.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
probably because there are some forums where posting is restricted by age, gender, faith, and marital status, as well as whether one is on staff here.
And the software can run those checks without the data being displayed to the public.

Reactions: arensb
Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Never did worry about someone's faith when reading their postings, I more prefer to go by what they say then what they claim to be.

You seriously rock, pgp.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.