KristianJ

What's in a name? Letters...
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney, Australia
✟35,788.00
Faith
Christian
MOD NOTE

Okay people, let's calm down for a moment and reassess whether this argument about forum names is really necessary, and whether it is edifying to us as a body of believers. There's no reason to get into legal mumbo-jumbo in a public forum. WOFFER, if you really feel that it is necessary to pursue such action, then do not post about it here. Use the PM system. However, I encourage you to consider whether there is much sensibility in what you are considering. From seeing your home page, and relying upon what I know of copyright laws, you do not have the title of your forum trademarked with the traditional TM symbol, so in theory (and since Erwin possesses a law degree, he can confirm this, and I may ask him to), you cannot claim any breach by jessie87. And I'd encourage you not to rush off and trademark such a phrase, because in a world where we are exhorted to love each other and give encouragement to one another, any words relating to the gathering of Christ's children do not deserve "ownership". The phrase "faith and fellowship" is not one that warrants being hoarded by any one person as if it is a phrase that they created. Surely we as fellow brothers and sisters in Christ should not be keeping phrases of encouragement to ourselves.

Now, if any of this posting continues, this thread will be closed and staff action may be taken.

KristianJ
Senior Moderator - Favourite Web Links

Reactions: reformedfan
Upvote 0

WOFFER

Woffie
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2003
Ann Arbor MI
✟29,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
KristianJ said:
MOD NOTE

Okay people, let's calm down for a moment and reassess whether this argument about forum names is really necessary, and whether it is edifying to us as a body of believers. There's no reason to get into legal mumbo-jumbo in a public forum. WOFFER, if you really feel that it is necessary to pursue such action, then do not post about it here. Use the PM system. However, I encourage you to consider whether there is much sensibility in what you are considering. From seeing your home page, and relying upon what I know of copyright laws, you do not have the title of your forum trademarked with the traditional TM symbol, so in theory (and since Erwin possesses a law degree, he can confirm this, and I may ask him to), you cannot claim any breach by jessie87. And I'd encourage you not to rush off and trademark such a phrase, because in a world where we are exhorted to love each other and give encouragement to one another, any words relating to the gathering of Christ's children do not deserve "ownership". The phrase "faith and fellowship" is not one that warrants being hoarded by any one person as if it is a phrase that they created. Surely we as fellow brothers and sisters in Christ should not be keeping phrases of encouragement to ourselves.

Now, if any of this posting continues, this thread will be closed and staff action may be taken.

KristianJ
Senior Moderator - Favourite Web Links

I am sure Erwin knows I am correct. Copyright and Trademark are not the same thing. Now, I am quite sure that if the owner of this forum had not purchased the .net .com .org that go along with his domain, he would not stand for someone trying to squat on his domain. All anyone has to do is do a search like I suggested earlier and you will find I am 100% correct.

Upvote 0

WOFFER

Woffie
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2003
Ann Arbor MI
✟29,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

B®ent

Contender for the Faith
May 15, 2005
Mill Creek, WA.
✟4,932.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Woffer, this behavior is completely disgusting. Would you be OK with the members of your site knowing about this? I think I'll be paying a visit to your site and telling them about it. If what you're doing is righteous, then you have nothing to worry about. Right?

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
WOFFER said:
First they do not look alike. Secondlt they do not have the same title. That does not make it legal. Do you think that it is a strange that they have 4443 members? I don't!
Both have the same name... CHRISTIAN FORUMS!

Upvote 0

Serenity278

Kittay Kat :]
Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟16,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You arguing with everyone is not helping matters at all! like there is no reason at all why I cant keep faithandfellowship.net. These are christian forums designed to help the body of christ be together am I not right? But since your ego is bigger than your heart you can have the name faith and fellowship providing you pm me the proof as I stated above. Thank you and God bless~Jessie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

B®ent

Contender for the Faith
May 15, 2005
Mill Creek, WA.
✟4,932.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Jessie87 said:
I would like to see proof of this so called copyright if you have proof then I will change my domain and my forum name.

Technically he is right. However, I see no proof that he has a copyright registration on the name "Faith and Fellowship." There is no indication of this on his site.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Serenity278

Kittay Kat :]
Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟16,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
servant4ever said:

I will copy and paste it for ya

Q. Can I Use A Pen Name? Can I Register A Business Name?

US Copyright Office

From Mary Bellis,
Your Guide to Inventors.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

A.

You can use a pen name or a stage name. There is no legal requirement that the author be identified by his or her real name on the application form. However, if you are filing under a fictitious name or pen name, you have to put a checkmark in the "Pseudonymous" box.
Can I Copyright The Name Of A Band?

No. Names cannot be copyrighted. Some names may be trademarkded.
Can I Copyright A Title, Slogan or Logo

No, you cannot copyright names, titles, slogans, or short phrases.
Can I Get A Star Named After Me And Claim Copyright To It?

No. Names are not protected by copyright. Publications such as a star registry may copyright the text of the volume or book containing the names the registry has assigned to stars. However, registration would not extend protection to any of the individual star names.
Domain Name

Copyright law does not protect domain names.

Sponsored Links

DBA - Business Name USAFictitious Trade Name Registration Assumed Business Certificatewww.fbnusa.com

Fictitious Business NamesAccess 25M County & State filings for ownership & other bus. infowww.KnowX.com

Incorporate OnlineIncorporate for $45 plus state fee All 50 States - Low Feeswww.101incorporate.com

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), a nonprofit organization that has assumed the responsibility for domain name system management, administers the assignation of domain names through accredited registers.

VERY VERY interesting I must say...

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Woffer... I have searched the records of www.copyright.gov... have not found one reference to Faith and Fellowship Forum (or Faith & Fellowship Forum) or anything close to that. In fact, the closest thing is a religious body called Faith and Fellowship.

servant4ever

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
WOFFER said:
Johan,

The fact that she has registered her domain with a slight difference than mine and has decided that she is going to name her forum the same as mine is a violation of copyright and considered domain infringement and squatting. It is a violation of the laws that govern the internet. Whether or not she knew in advance is irrelevent. The fact is, she is violating my copyright (which was established in December of 2002) by purchasing the domain and setting up a forum with the same name as mine. That is a fact, look it up. I have not decided yet if I will take legal action or not. That is all I am going to say.
Really, December of 2002? It states that your name was created on 29-August 2004. Also, I searched your member directory and saw the earliest members you had were on the 29th of August of 2004. Are you being honest here?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.