Facebook is pure poision

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
my personal opinion on facebook is as follows. it's overrated and it sucks. to communicate and stay in touch with folks around the world, give me my instant messanger, skype, and simple email any day of the week. to anyone feeling Facebook is so ground breaking, did you feel the same with myspace? AOL homepages?

I will give Facebook credit in one area. I do view it as virtual darwinian software. how many people have been caught cheating because they simply forgot to place their discussions in private? employers getting wind of what their employees say? the overall act of being caught in a lie?

Upvote 0

E. Mortimer

Jun 20, 2015
✟15,258.00
Marital Status
Single
Please stop. Sodomy IS evil. Sin is not normal. Death is not normal. Yet, both inevitably happen? Is that wrong to say?

I do NOT have a strange understanding. I NEVER EVER called ANYONE evil. DO NOT put words in my mouth. I respect and love ALL people...yet that does not mean I will condone everything they do.

Faithful to God until the end.

I never put any words into your mouth. I simply said that when you refer to someone's lifestyle as evil, that you should not be surprised when they do not want to be friends with you. Would you want to be friends with someone who says that Christianity is an evil cult? If so, then that is your prerogative, but it does not hold true for everyone.

Have you ever heard the term evil-doer? It is a person who does evil. Can an evil-doer be a good person? How can that be? It can't. So an evil-doer must be evil. Take someone like Hitler, for example. He was responsible for running one of the first anti-smoking ad campaigns and was an advocate for animal rights. But because he did evil things, he was an evil person. Even if he did some other things that I agree with.

Is it wrong for you to say that sodomy is a sin and that homosexuality is evil? Of course not. And I would stand by your side and defend you against anybody who tried to say that it is wrong for you to say those things. But I would also turn and tell you that because of the things you say, you may very well lose some friends who disagree with you.

I have lost friends due to political and religious differences before because they did not agree with my beliefs. I was not wrong for saying these beliefs, but nor was I baffled by the idea that they no longer wished to be my friend. In fact, I've had a few people who simply do not wish to be my friend on Facebook because they do not like to see some of the things that I post, but we still maintain a friendship outside of social media which is, as far as I'm concerned, more important.

So while you may not have directly called someone evil, you greatly indicate it by suggesting that their actions are evil. After all, even an evil wrought from ignorance is still evil.

I would admonish you to ease back and consider you're a new member here. Warrior Angel has been a respected and very rational, valuable member of this sub forum for a lot of years, more than myself. I've been here a while myself. Get to know people in here before you come in shooting your mouth off about us debasing ourselves, being delusional, and overly emotional. Show some respect and ease off the throttle, Mort. I've found as a teacher that I need to get to know people, know their story, know their views and experience and have an open mind while showing respect before I make assumptions and make bold charges.

I was not aware that time spent on the site entitled a person to purposely misquoting the things that I have said. Despite the fact that the post that I made that clearly pointed out this slander has been conveniently deleted, I stand by my point. Also, my post which was censored in this thread was not different in tone or substance than any of my other posts which remains except that in the deleted post I pointed out how clearly another member misquoted me as a way to build support for their own agenda and I was censored for it.

And said poster may be very rational in other places here on CF, but they have not shown that same rationale here in this particular thread by making false accusations towards me and purposely misquoting things that I have said.

I have shown nothing but respect in this thread. Sharing reasoning from the opposing perspective is not a sign of disrespect. However, making false accusations and purposely misquoting someone is.

Calling a person's lifestyle evil is the same as calling a person evil. I support a person's right to say this. I also support the opposition's right to no longer want to be friends with that person. This is, in fact, a shining example of tolerance.

All I did was point out to the OP why their friend likely no longer wants to maintain a friendship with them. They seemed to have a difficult time understanding this from their friend's perspective so I only sought to show them. It's called being objective. I am not trying to change their mind concerning homosexuality or their beliefs. I was simply offering an explanation. Just because it is not the explanation they wanted to hear does not mean that I am being disrespectful. Viewing homosexuality as a sin is not something that I want to hear, but I am not going to call someone disrespectful for expressing their beliefs. I support their right to do so.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Calling someone's actions evil does NOT make them intrinsically evil. Thanks to the Fall, we ALL sin! We all commit evil acts or thoughts each day whether it is coveting my neighbor's new Dodge Challenger, sneaking a peek at a hot chick at the gym, lying to my boss about sick leave, having thoughts of despair, stealing money, giving a stamp of approval to something immoral to keep friends, looking at inappropriate content, lying to the wife, you name it! Sin IS evil!

But because we are concupiscent we carry the baggage of sin while also carrying the divine spark and original love and yearning for God from the Creation! We Catholics and Orthodox DO NOT believe man is basically bad as do many other denominations. We're not a pile of manure in a wedding dress, but rather basically GOOD with a propensity toward ego and sin.

If two men are orally copulating and having anal intercourse and locking lips, yes, by the metric of Mother Church, the Scriptures, the Fathers, and the Natural Law they are committing an evil act. They are putting themselves in harm's way salvation-wise, warping the use of sexuality, deforming the intention of God, and hurting one another....

When Blessed St. Peter told Jesus that he would help the Lord escape crucifixion and flee His passion fate, Jesus said, "Get thee behind me, Satan!" He told Peter that Satan was using him as a temptation mouthpiece. We ALL can be vessels and ambassadors of things diabolical, even when we're good men like Peter!!

Your posts saying evil-doers can't be good and must be evil oversimplifies the situation and seems to ignore the theology of The Fall?

It is a difficult thing to grow in theosis!! Adam and Eve tried to take the easy route, but salvation doesn't work that way. We were made to walk with God, steadily staying in the great marathon. We stumble and fall. Men with same sex attraction fail just like regular folks. A man who has gay sex, regrets his sin, goes and repents confessing his great sin will probably attain a higher mansion of heaven than I!! Same-sex attraction is a great cross to bear...heavy and painful, difficult to conquer. But there IS victory in the cross!!!

We ARE our brother's keeper as Scripture tells us! We can call out evil behavior because we know what acts are sin. What we MAY NOT do is judge someone's salvation!!!!!

Concupiscence and The Fall are what your posts are neglecting. From your vantage point anyone calling someone's gay sex evil is akin to calling them Hitler. It's the behavior condemned and admonished for the salvation of that sinner, NOT a condemnation of their soul or very essence....

I never put any words into your mouth. I simply said that when you refer to someone's lifestyle as evil, that you should not be surprised when they do not want to be friends with you. Would you want to be friends with someone who says that Christianity is an evil cult? If so, then that is your prerogative, but it does not hold true for everyone.

Have you ever heard the term evil-doer? It is a person who does evil. Can an evil-doer be a good person? How can that be? It can't. So an evil-doer must be evil. Take someone like Hitler, for example. He was responsible for running one of the first anti-smoking ad campaigns and was an advocate for animal rights. But because he did evil things, he was an evil person. Even if he did some other things that I agree with.

Is it wrong for you to say that sodomy is a sin and that homosexuality is evil? Of course not. And I would stand by your side and defend you against anybody who tried to say that it is wrong for you to say those things. But I would also turn and tell you that because of the things you say, you may very well lose some friends who disagree with you.

I have lost friends due to political and religious differences before because they did not agree with my beliefs. I was not wrong for saying these beliefs, but nor was I baffled by the idea that they no longer wished to be my friend. In fact, I've had a few people who simply do not wish to be my friend on Facebook because they do not like to see some of the things that I post, but we still maintain a friendship outside of social media which is, as far as I'm concerned, more important.

So while you may not have directly called someone evil, you greatly indicate it by suggesting that their actions are evil. After all, even an evil wrought from ignorance is still evil.

I was not aware that time spent on the site entitled a person to purposely misquoting the things that I have said. Despite the fact that the post that I made that clearly pointed out this slander has been conveniently deleted, I stand by my point. Also, my post which was censored in this thread was not different in tone or substance than any of my other posts which remains except that in the deleted post I pointed out how clearly another member misquoted me as a way to build support for their own agenda and I was censored for it.

And said poster may be very rational in other places here on CF, but they have not shown that same rationale here in this particular thread by making false accusations towards me and purposely misquoting things that I have said.

I have shown nothing but respect in this thread. Sharing reasoning from the opposing perspective is not a sign of disrespect. However, making false accusations and purposely misquoting someone is.

Calling a person's lifestyle evil is the same as calling a person evil. I support a person's right to say this. I also support the opposition's right to no longer want to be friends with that person. This is, in fact, a shining example of tolerance.

All I did was point out to the OP why their friend likely no longer wants to maintain a friendship with them. They seemed to have a difficult time understanding this from their friend's perspective so I only sought to show them. It's called being objective. I am not trying to change their mind concerning homosexuality or their beliefs. I was simply offering an explanation. Just because it is not the explanation they wanted to hear does not mean that I am being disrespectful. Viewing homosexuality as a sin is not something that I want to hear, but I am not going to call someone disrespectful for expressing their beliefs. I support their right to do so.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll let others hope for the earth to burn. I have no such desire.

And yet sin has existed since the beginning of time.

Sure. 2,000 years later we're just getting to "between 3 and 4."

2Pe 3:3 knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires.
2Pe 3:4 They will say, "Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation."
2Pe 3:5 For they deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God,
2Pe 3:6 and that by means of these the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished.
2Pe 3:7 But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.
2Pe 3:8 But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.
2Pe 3:11 Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness,
2Pe 3:12 waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn!
2Pe 3:13 But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
2Pe 3:14 Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace.

Upvote 0

Cush

Orthodox Presbyterian
Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
✟19,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I deactivated my account on Facebook today. I do not even subscribe to television broadcast because of the raunch. Why would a Christian group use a secular platform, subjecting members to secular advertisements and moderation is beyond me. I am going back and sticking to Christian based forums.

God bless,
William

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My marriage of 20 years was ended by Facebook... My wife re-connected with her boyfriend from high school and left me. I have much reason to be bitter and hate Facebook... But, grace has taught me that blaming Facebook for my divorce is like blaming the gun that the nut in SC used to murder those nine Believers...

Facebook is simply a tool that can be used for good or evil.

I'm still on there to see new pics of my grandson, see how old friends are doing, and to gauge the winds of social change. It is simply a tool...

Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I deactivated my account on Facebook today. I do not even subscribe to television broadcast because of the raunch. Why would a Christian group use a secular platform, subjecting members to secular advertisements and moderation is beyond me. I am going back and sticking to Christian based forums.

God bless,
William
I take it you haven't noticed the secular advertisements on CF.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Gurney said it the best.

I have committed evil actions- but by the grace of God I have been redeemed and forgiven. Everyone commits evil acts thanks to original sin. Sin is not normal, but everyone does it (unless you are the Mother of God or God the Son).

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
My marriage of 20 years was ended by Facebook... My wife re-connected with her boyfriend from high school and left me. I have much reason to be bitter and hate Facebook... But, grace has taught me that blaming Facebook for my divorce is like blaming the gun that the nut in SC used to murder those nine Believers...

I'm still on there to see new pics of my grandson, see how old friends are doing, and to gauge the winds of social change. It is simply a tool...
I am sorry to hear that. May God comfort you in his love.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are not a Christian so I do not expect you to believe in the fall. That is all.
Huh, I thought I was...

Nevertheless, normal means ordinary and expected - which death and sin are to us mortals.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I got on - saw a lot of friends putting rainbows over their profile pics and saw all those posts and i left.
I'm trying so hard not to lose it.. for they know not what they do... and now im struggling against anger.
But my anger is not displaced if i solely focus on the sin and not the sinners...
I equally loathe abortion.
I have been offering up Masses to destroy abortion and gay marriage in this country.
We need more prayer warrior... more offerings...

I pity everyone - but im not sure i can further use FB right now until this garbage settles down.
Im trying to bite my tongue and be as patient as i can - so i need to just walk away for some time.
I seldom find myself so upset - but when it happens - i have to walk away, think, reflect and let patience and peace overcome me again...

So let ppl unfriend you - it will give you peace.

After having some issues in the years before FB and Twitter, I chose to never use social media for anything. I've never had a Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. account. I have Google+ but don't use it for social media. I have a LinkedIn account because it's useful if I'm job-hunting.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Happy to see lots of rainbow photos on my FB today, and also other people less than happy about it. The people with rainbows are happy and lighthearted, but the others are mean in response. One person said she wanted an eye roll icon for FB, others are deleting their FB. Go right ahead. Shrug.
I have to agree with your last five letters. I think it's all just a bunch of fakery. I see FB as a way to keep far-flung family in touch, to a degree. But otherwise, not interested. It's just a way to get people to say, in the words of Sally Field, "They like me, they really really like me." while not engaging much in real human interaction.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Sorry about your marriage. You're right, it's not Facebook's fault.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm with RoJ here. I've only ever used to facebook to keep in touch with family and friends, since they're pretty spread out (California to southern Brazil, Europe, etc). Never posted a "status update" or anything, beyond thanking people for happy birthday wishes. Getting into heated debates on FB is just like getting into heated debates here: Why? Are you not confident or comfortable enough with your own beliefs and worldview to be able to state whatever it is and leave it at that? There's probably not a lot to even say about most of these social issues when you get right down to it beyond "I disagree with you". And anything more than that is probably unwise to say anyway. I have plenty of friends who support SSM (again, California, Europe), and our friendships work because we aren't involved in each other's lives to the degree where we'd force someone to do or go along with something they're clearly against. I don't invite my atheist friends to liturgy, and they don't expect me to come to gay pride parades or whatever they're doing that they know already I'm not going to want to do. A lot of this social media-driven activism (or whatever you'd call putting a rainbow over a tiny photo of yourself) seems to be about being amped up about everything, 24 hours a day, and itching for a fight with anyone who disagrees with you. And that's equally applicable to people of all political and social persuasions. Who on earth honestly finds that kind of atmosphere inviting?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
ah the passive aggressive PC card hypocrites aren't they great? You're entitled to your own opinion...unless it disagrees with theirs, esp politically. Then the "tolerance" buzzword they were touting so loudly goes away in a hurry...gotta love it

As for Facebook, beyond sharing some pics I see little use and find it extremely bizarre that it's so popular, ditto Tweet. But I'd say the same with the cell phone addiction too... in fact I'd take it all farther and say this being electronically "tuned in" is like a slow poison, or some bizarre addiction, that is eroding our social skills, reversing our maturity levels, and screwing us up profoundly in general, but precious few (at most) would get it and there would likely be mostly hissy fitting and poo-pooing.
I don't understand why someone would tolerate something that's morally objectionable to them.
You know, once, my kid wanted to go watch an R rated movie. He tried to sell me by saying "It's only got a little nudity in it! Can I go?" I answered him, "Son, why don't we go out and get a pizza with everything you like on it? Then I'll get just a little dog poo, and put it somewhere on the pizza, and then you can eat it. Knowing this information, would you eat any of the pizza?" He got the point.

Upvote 0