F.B.I. Director Says 'Viral Video Effect' Blunts Police Work

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
F.B.I. Director Says 'Viral Video Effect' Blunts Police Work
The director of the F.B.I. reignited the factious debate over a so-called "Ferguson effect" on Wednesday, saying that he believed less aggressive policing was driving an alarming spike in murders in many cities.

James Comey, the director, said that while he could offer no statistical proof, he believed after speaking with a number of police officials that a "viral video effect" — with officers wary of confronting suspects for fear of ending up on a video — "could well be at the heart" of a spike in violent crime in some cities.
I can't do "police work" unless I'm violating someone's civil rights.

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Whoever called it the "Ferguson effect" is an idiot. There was no video of the incident in Ferguson. Now, if he'd at least called it the "Walker effect" or the "Garner effect", he'd be speaking of video capturing police not only using excessive force, and receiving public outcry (of course, deservedly so).

The big problem in the Ferguson case (as in the Trayvon Martin case) was that the lack of video, which led the public to question the result of the trial.

Video evidence of incidents is a good thing, and should be welcomed by not only the public, but police officers who are doing their jobs, as it would help absolve them of any false accusations.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Video evidence of incidents is a good thing, and should be welcomed by not only the public, but police officers who are doing their jobs, as it would help absolve them of any false accusations.
While I don't disagree (and as far as I can tell, the whole idea of a "“Ferguson effect" seems to be codswallop), I can understand even police who are doing their jobs properly being wary of videos. Proper police work could be easily misunderstood by the general public that isn't involved in that sort of work and doesn't get how things need to be done or why they are done that way. So I understand their concern, but I think that on average it's not going to actually be a problem.

Regardless, the police should be recording themselves - for their own safety and the safety of others.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ever notice the people who are the strongest apologists for police avoiding being filmed are invariably the sort of people who justify ever greater search and seizure powers with the old "nothing to fear if you've nothing to hide" saw?

Reactions: aieyiamfu
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Shrugs) I suppose the police could say the same thing we hear from individuals that get video taped when they don't like it too.

"You don't know what happened before they video started"

Hopefully, they find a middle ground in all of this. I can see where video would be very helpful in most cases.

More importantly, I do hope they find the correlation between higher murder rates this year compared to the past. I can't see how that has anything to do with videos personally. I mean I'm going to murder more because we have MORE cameras? That makes no sense. I'm going to murder more because the camera's are making the police less aggressive? That doesn't either.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
While I don't disagree (and as far as I can tell, the whole idea of a "“Ferguson effect" seems to be codswallop), I can understand even police who are doing their jobs properly being wary of videos. Proper police work could be easily misunderstood by the general public that isn't involved in that sort of work and doesn't get how things need to be done or why they are done that way. So I understand their concern, but I think that on average it's not going to actually be a problem.

Regardless, the police should be recording themselves - for their own safety and the safety of others.
Police work rarely needs to be done the way it is done. Do you realize that prospective officers are taught court tested ways of abusing a suspects rights to make their jobs easier. They should have to work for their money like other folks. The rules are bad but they are there so follow them.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: aieyiamfu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ever notice the people who are the strongest apologists for police avoiding being filmed are invariably the sort of people who justify ever greater search and seizure powers with the old "nothing to fear if you've nothing to hide" saw?

Post number five and the broad brush has been deployed.

I can't do "police work" unless I'm violating someone's civil rights.

A gross perversion of what Comey said.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Apparently some of New Hampshire's finest didn't get the memo that they were supposed to now be wary of confronting suspects while on camera.

http://www.wbur.org/2016/05/12/investigation-police-pursuit

I'm pretty sure it's standard procedure to beat a suspect who has surrendered. And it was only like 4 of the cops present that were administering the blows. You know, most of the cops are good, the ones that abuse their authority and use excessive force are one bad apple in a bunch of thousands.

It's not like they shot him or anything...

Nothing to see here, move along.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's ridiculous that taped evidence of police work is what he is claiming is hurting police practices. At no point does he consider that the content of the film (inept/unjust/abusive police work) is the CRUX of the problem.

Unless he's just arguing that inept/unjust/abusive police work is ACTUAL police policy and he doesn't want it exposed.
But that would be ridiculous right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I honestly think police departments should go around polling their members about whether they believe in the "Ferguson effect"... And then fire the morons who said "yes". Those people who believe that having to be responsible for their actions would hinder their ability to hold a position of responsibility should not hold positions of responsibility.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Police are pulling back from aggressive confrontations with the public" I mean not for nothing, but that would seem like a good thing. Police are not harassing people doing nothing wrong at 2 A.M., sounds like another good thing. I say get this moron out of the FBI and hire someone with a brain.
Not sure about FBI, but cops have an IQ ceiling on hiring.
It got challenged and court affirmed.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I actually looked him up after reading this comment. Can somebody please explain to me, how in the world can somebody with no actual on the ground law enforcement experience be appointed to lead the FBI?
Campaign contributions.

Upvote 0