1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Experimental" Christian Bands?

Discussion in 'Christian Music' started by anewhope, Apr 22, 2007.

1. anewhope

anewhope New Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    I'm not really sure if this thread belongs here, but can anyone give me some advice on what to listen to?

I'm a new Christian and would really like to get into some good Christian music, but my problem is that I'm VERY picky!

I turn on the radio to some Christian stations and I can't find anything that interests me. I guess what I'm really looking for are some bands with an off-the-wall kind of sound and strange song structures (Think: Tool/A Perfect Circle/Nine Inch Nails except Christian). Any bands you can send me to??

Thanks in advance and God Bless!

holyrokker and ParaCristo like this.
  2. ParaCristo

ParaCristo Legend Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    Norma Jean
    and
    The Chariot
    might be your cuppa tea...they are mine.

anewhope likes this.
  3. Nerdy

Nerdy Guest

Go to I tunes and look up these artists

Newsboys

Tobymac

Relient K

DC Talk

4. ParaCristo

ParaCristo Legend Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    sorry to tell ya bro'.....I think he is looking for something a little less CCM mainstream

5. The Theory

The Theory Bagpipes well could he blow.

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    I think that your definition of experimental and my definition of experimental vary wildly.

There is a good experimental Christian underground scene... however, none of them would sound similar to Tool, NIN, etc... but then again, I wouldn't have considered any of those artists very experimental to begin with.

If you're looking for just some interesting, creative music I could help you out. If you're going to pigeon hole the genre that specifically? No can do.

6. ListenerFriendly

ListenerFriendly I Am My Own Adversary...

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Seeker
    Well, depends on your definition of "experimental." There are a large variety of "Christian-minded" artists with unique instrumental palletes. NIN, in my opinion, is a little more main-stream rock. But if you want some off-the wall stuff you might have to look to the underground. Tooth & Nail is a mainstream label that still cares about signing creative artist, and there catalogue of past and present artists is quite impressive. I know that they have some groundbreaking (and some not so much) artists. Whether or not any of them fit your tastes, I am not sure. But good music to check out. If you want more "hard-core" their sub-label 'SolidState" has some of the best metal and heavier rock bands in the industry today.

ROCK ON

7. anewhope

anewhope New Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

ParaCristo - I checked out the bands you mentioned. Some of their stuff is interesting to me but too much screaming for my taste. Thanks, though :) I really appreciate the input

And sorry for the lack of clarification - personally, my definition of "experimental", in this case, "experimental rock" is a band that takes the basics of the genre and mixes in an array of different time signatures, ambient sounds, effects, various vocal styles, different song structures, etc. And most importantly, they mix it up from song to song so that you aren't just listening to the same stuff over and over.

It's very disappointing to me when I hear a couple of songs from a band, go out and get the CD, only to find out that all of the songs follow the same basic principles. NIN and Tool, specifically, have a lot of tracks that you'll never hear unless you get the CD because they aren't radio friendly at all (12 minutes long, all instrumentals, etc.) Hope that clears a bit up.

Again, sorry for the confusion. I did say I was very picky :p !I would be very interested in hearing about some of these underground Christian-minded artists that some of you have been talking about, though. Thanks!

8. peanutbutter12

peanutbutter12 Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Circle of Dust was very NINish. Might check them out, though they no longer exist.

CJ

9. Citanul

Citanul Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Methodist
    There are a number of Christian prog bands around, and you can find descriptions and links to a lot of them at http://www.spiritualprog.com/. However, while they fit your description (different time signatures and song structures), I'm not sure if there are any in the vein of NIN/Tool so there may not be anything there to your liking.

10. anewhope

anewhope New Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    Sorry for the delayed response, but thank you all for the replies. I've been checking over the artists/links posted here and am finding some nice music I like :) Thanks for all of your help!

11. The Theory

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
  12. OrangePower

OrangePower New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    If you're still interested in new stuff, you might check out This Beautiful Rebublic or Project 86. I listen to a lot of secular industrial, techno and experimental music, and these are tasty, too. Flyleaf also, if you like female vox.

13. swingnscream

swingnscream more music - dance our troubles away

Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Something hard & creative with not-so-much screaming:
    mewithoutYou
    Dead Poetic
    Project 86
    Falling Up
    Emery

other great bands that actually are in the Expermential Rock category:
    Bernard
    the Listening
    Hundred Year Storm
    Mute Math

if you need links let me know. ...I'm just being a lil lazy tonight.

14. holyrokker

holyrokker Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Tranceformer110

Tranceformer110 New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    One of my favorites is Shiny Toy Guns...a couple of guys are beleivers though they aren't a christian band. They are kind of electronic rock. Check their myspace www.myspace.com/shinytoyguns

16. Sushi614

Sushi614 Guest

I'm glad I read through all of this before posting. I was going to suggest Flyleaf too, they are an awesome band. Although, technically they are not on a christian label, I did hear them being played on our local christian radio station during the Sat night jam session for the more youthful listeners.

I do, however, know personally that everyone in the band is a christian. My cousin James Culpepper is the drummer. He and Lacey (the lead singer) had been dating for quite some time and come over for Thanksgiving just about every year. You can sample/listen to their music on their website: www.flyleafmusic.com There are several songs to choose from that just play in the background while browsing their site. Browse around, you can read the lyrics, watch music videos and check out the concert dates. (They are on tour right now) They were in Tx this past weekend. They got some inspiration of the music style from Evanesance when they were on tour together early in their career.

Anyway, hope you like them.

17. swingnscream

Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    That's true... mewithoutYou doesn't scream-vocalize as much as they use to. And of course they'd be the best band to pick ....if you can handle them, that is.

18. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 I'm trying real hard to be the shepard.

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Perhaps Mutemath? I mean I don't know very many Christian industrialish bands...there is AP2, and that's about all I know. If you're looking for indie stuff Mae, Sufjan Stevens, and Lovedrug are all pretty good. If you want a little harder, one can't go wrong with Thrice... ;)

19. swingnscream

Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    aww... did you just put Lovedrug in with expermenital-ish indie? That's sweet. I'm sure they'd love that.

20. The Theory

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    haha... you're so patronizing.